Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Coach McMackin deathwatch

Default Re: The Coach McMackin deathwatch

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    As for replacements, Niumatalolo is a good choice. The power of alma mater as a draw cannot be overestimated.
    There's no question that Ken would be open-minded to a UH coaching vacancy. Here's part of an interview he gave to the Baltimore Sun last year.

Q: It's pretty unusual for a head coach to spend his entire career in one place. Before you got the opportunity to coach Navy, was there any other coaching job you thought would be perfect for you, and I guess, in my mind, I would think Hawaii, because that's your home?

A: I thought about Hawaii. I thought that would be a cool job. I thought about BYU. You know, I'm Mormon, so I thought that would be cool, but I love this job. Those were jobs, before I got a head job, that I thought would be pretty cool places to coach, but this is a great place to be, a great place to coach.
    Based on that quote, it would appear that Ken has no plans of leaving the Naval Academy anytime soon. But some things have changed since that interview was given. For one thing, the Navy football team has struggled a bit in 2011, with a 4-7 record heading into their finale with Army. And perhaps a greater reason might be that of his daughter, who was attending the Univ. of Maryland at the time the interview was given. She has since transferred to BYUH.

Despite the off year, make no mistake. Ken is most capable as a major college head coach. His teams have beaten Notre Dame twice. And for those who still think that June Jones walks on water,..... Ken has beaten SMU 3 times! Ken does all this,.... without the benefit of any athletic scholarships and with the Naval Academy's stringent admissions and academic standards.

Now, think about what this guy could do at U of H.... with athletic scholies.... with Kahuku being his old stomping grounds.... with an ethnic heritage and background that Samoan student-athletes can relate to....

I'll lay it on the line right here and now. Ken Niumatalolo and the Univ. of Hawaii are a match made in heaven.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Final score: BYU 41, UH 20

Final 2011 season record: 6 wins, 7 losses

Final McMackin record: 4 seasons, 2 losing seasons, 2 Hawaii Bowl appearances (both losses), 1 shared WAC title.

Final analysis: Achievements do not merit that of having the conference's highest-paid coach.

Final message: Mahalo for giving it your best try, Coach McMackin. Aloha (as in goodbye).
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

It'll have to wait at least a year before your dream comes true. Ain't nobody buying out his last year, unless you have a really really big bake sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    It'll have to wait at least a year before your dream comes true. Ain't nobody buying out his last year, unless you have a really really big bake sale.
    Ferd Lewis and Dave Reardon seem to think otherwise. Reardon in particular has been banging the drum to get Coach Mac out for the past six weeks.

It's hard to believe a crowd of only 30,000 showed up to see BYU, particularly when it looked like several thousand were wearing blue.

It doesn't matter what those 2 common detractors say, they merely write columns and stir up shit. Those who are (biased yet) actually in-the-know like the team/staff and intels like Mouse/Wagner seem to have Mac's back. Besides, the school doesn't have the $ to buy him out or pony up for someone possibly better.
    Butts in the seats; Hawaii's fair weather crybabys don't even deserve a team, kudos to those few that keep the faith and fill seats.

Last night against BYU, UH played fairly well in the first half but totally collapsed in the second half.
    Good TV coverage on ESPN2. The announcers got most of the names right, and most of the Hawaii place names and phrases right. They gave credit to Kanoa Leahy for working with them on the Hawaiian words and names on Friday.
    Great photography, including a very rare triple rainbow. And lots of praise for Hawaii in general. The visitors bureau should be quite happy.
    As for Coach, the school needs to make a decision really fast, like this week, since recruiting time is on us.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I seriously want a spread or option-oriented coach to run Hawaii.

Niumatalolo would ne realistic, but I'd really wish UH could go after a big name like Ron Zook.

That could mean a season or two of rebuilding tho, with different personnel needed on offense.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

All I really want is a team which consistently wins more games than it loses (and maybe doesn't embarrass itself on national TV). In the WAC it was hard enough, from what we've seen. In the Mountain West it's going to be even harder.

It doesn't matter what those 2 common detractors say, they merely write columns and stir up shit. Those who are (biased yet) actually in-the-know like the team/staff and intels like Mouse/Wagner seem to have Mac's back. Besides, the school doesn't have the $ to buy him out or pony up for someone possibly better.
    Butts in the seats; Hawaii's fair weather crybabys don't even deserve a team,

I see I'm winning you over!

Immediately after the game on Saturday the chancellor and the athletic director spoke to Coach for just a minute. Each one put a hand on Coach's shoulder briefly, and that plus the expression on Caoch's face indicated that what the other two said was along the lines of "We're going to have to let you go tomorrow. We'll meet with you then." That's what it looked like to me.
    They met with Coach for an hour yesterday.
    They met with the whole team this morning (but without Coach being there), which sure sounds like the team was being told Coach is gone.
    There's going to be an announcement sometime today. Gee, I wonder what it could be?

Good luck to Coach Mac, the staff, and the team, they and others will need it now more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    They {chancellor and athletic director} met with the whole team this morning (but without Coach being there), which sure sounds like the team was being told Coach is gone.
    UPDATE: Now it's being announced that Coach will meet with his staff and players this afternoon too tell them what's happening.

Those who are (biased yet) actually in-the-know like the team/staff and intels like Mouse/Wagner seem to have Mac's back. Besides, the school doesn't have the $ to buy him out or pony up for someone possibly better.
    Your "in-the-know" sources are all soaking wet.

Mack has resigned and has agreed to terms on a buyout.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=135013148

"Retire" is another word for...no comment...

Does anyone really think Dennis Erickson, Rick Neuheisel or Ron Zook would coach here?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Your "in-the-know" sources are all soaking wet.

Mack has resigned and has agreed to terms on a buyout.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=135013148
    Bloodlust gloat much?

I wonder what'll happen to Dick Tomey.

Supposedly the assistant coaches have contracts thru March.

Miano is the interim coach right now. They need to get on the ball with finding a new coach for recruiting reasons amongst other things, maybe a big name coach if they can afford it will excite fans and boost ticket sales too.

As I recall, about half of McMackin's $1.1 million salary was being paid by private parties, not UH. So since McMakin is getting bought out for $600,000 for next season, I wonder if that means UH only has to pay half of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    "Retire" is another word for...no comment...

Does anyone really think Dennis Erickson, Rick Neuheisel or Ron Zook would coach here?
    Erickson's more likely than Zook. Zook's probably looking for a bigger market and doesn't want to rebuild a program, but I'd LOVE to see a spread offense in Hawaii again.

Highly doubt UH would hire a coach that has so much baggage like Neuheisel.

I wonder if they'll give Miano a shot?

I highly doubt Tomey gets another headcoaching job--at least with UH, anyway. IMO, his role as an assistant is valuable, as he's an excellent motivator.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I highly doubt Tomey gets another headcoaching job--at least with UH, anyway. IMO, his role as an assistant is valuable, as he's an excellent motivator.
    That's as may be, but his special teams essentially stunk up the joint this year.

Lightbulb Re: The Coach McMackin deathwatch

Quote Originally Posted by Linkmeister View Post
    All I really want is a team which consistently wins more games than it loses (and maybe doesn't embarrass itself on national TV). In the WAC it was hard enough, from what we've seen. In the Mountain West it's going to be even harder.
    And this is why only June Jones can save this team. Without him, you essentially bring in an entire new coaching staff and rebuild a program during UH's Mountain West debut. There's nothing wrong with the Run-and-shoot. McMackin just allowed too much tweaking. He blamed the system instead of holding his players accountable.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Fraud, waste and abuse. Pay $600,000 for nothing - whoever makes these decisions should be paying with their own money.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Breaking news: June Jones, currently making $2 million at SMU, is allegedly moving to Arizona State, according to ESPN and CBS and other sources. An announcement should come out shortly.
    So maybe Coach Mac will go to SMU?

Now that June Jones situation has become iffy: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ls-sources-say .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast