Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Coach McMackin deathwatch

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I highly doubt Tomey gets another headcoaching job--at least with UH, anyway. IMO, his role as an assistant is valuable, as he's an excellent motivator.
    That's as may be, but his special teams essentially stunk up the joint this year.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
      All I really want is a team which consistently wins more games than it loses (and maybe doesn't embarrass itself on national TV). In the WAC it was hard enough, from what we've seen. In the Mountain West it's going to be even harder.
      And this is why only June Jones can save this team. Without him, you essentially bring in an entire new coaching staff and rebuild a program during UH's Mountain West debut. There's nothing wrong with the Run-and-shoot. McMackin just allowed too much tweaking. He blamed the system instead of holding his players accountable.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Fraud, waste and abuse. Pay $600,000 for nothing - whoever makes these decisions should be paying with their own money.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Breaking news: June Jones, currently making $2 million at SMU, is allegedly moving to Arizona State, according to ESPN and CBS and other sources. An announcement should come out shortly.
          So maybe Coach Mac will go to SMU?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Now that June Jones situation has become iffy: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ls-sources-say .

Comment

Wow, that Jones would have even contemplated a move away from SMU is a real surprise. SMU gave him the world, I wonder what possibly soured him, and made ASU look good? Too bad he'll probably not even consider coming back to UH, ...yet maybe the Mac vacancy made him stymie the new move?
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Maybe ASU offered Jones more than SMU's $2 million.
                Maybe Jones isn't a Methodist.
                Maybe he broke up with his girlfriend that he got pregnant over here.
                But the current story is that the deal is falling apart because Jones took too long to reply to ASU's offer. Rumors also are saying that ASU fans didn't want Jones.
                We shall see.
                As for McMackin, maybe he'll get hired at Notre Dame. No. Wait. Two years ago McMackin made some kind of homosexual reference about Notre Dame and he got suspended from UH without pay for 30 days. So ND probably isn't on his list of applications.

Comment

According to Sports Illustrated, at this link, here's the poop on June Jones:

"The sides were reportedly close to a deal when negotiations abruptly came to an end, apparently after issues were raised about Jones' character"

Really? Character issues? And "issues" is plural?!?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    [...]
                    Really? Character issues? And "issues" is plural?!?
                    I can recall a couple of "issues" that made the news when they happened. Some people might consider them serious while others...not so much.

Comment

Let's see. By this time I guess it is "Coach McMake."
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I can recall a couple of "issues" that made the news when they happened. Some people might consider them serious while others...not so much.
                        I remember some issues with female students and of course that outrageous car crash, but those were here at UH. I haven't heard of any issues at SMU. Do you have links?

Comment

Obviously, no one here can speak for the powers-that-be at ASU. But wind of JJ's off-field indiscretions at UH (ignored by the local media) has reached the mainland.

Now,... when you consider the bombshell scandals that have occurred at Penn St. and Syracuse, it shouldn't be shocking that ASU officials want nothing to do with hiring any coach who has skeletons in his closet involving students.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            I remember some issues with female students and of course that outrageous car crash, but those were here at UH. I haven't heard of any issues at SMU. Do you have links?
                            My recollections involve his time in Hawaii and were made public. I don't recall the student issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              Does anyone really think Dennis Erickson, Rick Neuheisel or Ron Zook would coach here?
                              No, highly unlikely.

Which brings to mind the question: Why do so many people on these UH fan message boards clamor for guys like Erickson and Neuheisel? Folks, those guys are recruiters, not coaches. Take away the bluechip recruits they'll no longer be able to attract because of UH's geographic distance and Manoa's sub-standard facilities, and you will quickly be disappointed by the results on the scoreboard.

A more thoughtful list of bonafide UH coaching candidates can be found here.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Dispite the ASU prudes, JJ was welcomed back with open arms at SMU.

It'll be interesting to see who accepts the UH head job at dollar store rates.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X