Rap - Hawaii's Comic Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rap - Hawaii's Comic Genius

Heck yeah, the 70s were still awesome, and we havn't equalled even those waning years since, the last of the really good times.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Dru - you need to remember that Rap didn't start by himself. There were 2 other guys with him and they helped to make him what he became on his own. He was always very funny, but he was not alone. Lets give those guys some credit too ok?
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        Dru - you need to remember that Rap didn't start by himself. There were 2 other guys with him and they helped to make him what he became on his own. He was always very funny, but he was not alone. Lets give those guys some credit too ok?
        I'm assuming you're referring to Rap's fellow performers on the original Booga Booga (James Grant Benton and Ed Kaahea).

The Booga Booga live show was the platform that launched Rap's entertainment career. But make no mistake. While all 3 men each contributed to the success of the lengendary comedy team, it was Rap who wrote the bulk of the material, including the musical bits. When Rap left the act, Jimmy tried to carry on the ensemble over the years with other performers like Andy and Ray Bumatai. But without Rap's unique wit and humor, Booga Booga was never the same. Andy was very talented, but onstage, he always seemed more at home with doing a stand-up routine rather than doing sketch comedy.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

FM - Please read what I wrote. Your posting just re-stated what I was saying, only in different words. I was around when the group started and while I appreciate that Rap was the big star and the big talent, he did have a lot of help. The characters that Rap is famous for now were developed in part from his early work with Booga Booga. Just asking for some respect for them.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

No urinals. Only Kleenex and the smell of heavy perfume. Where am I?
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              ..., he always seemed more at home with doing a stand-up routine rather than doing sketch comedy.
              Interesting dichotomy, that. I had a comedy troupe going for a decade in the mid-70s to mid-80s, and while I found that I was comfortable in a sketch setting, solo stand-up never clicked for me. On the reverse, we would sometimes try to incorporate a solo comedian into the troupe, and usually without success.

I think part of Rap's ability to fly solo successfully was his range of characters; he became a comedy troupe of one. I'm sure he honed his skills bouncing off the others in Booga Booga.

Comment

Sure, they deserve credit. I also give credit to the rich characters of the Islands that became the characters embodied by Rap and the gang. So much culture to work with. Listening to them brings me back.

It would be sad if ALL the culture (food, local businesses, language, music) became "Californiaized" and disappeared. Anything that captures it and passes it to the next generation is good in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  No urinals. Only Kleenex and the smell of heavy perfume. Where am I?
                  A lonely figure in a non-existent line
                  I wait for hours
                  Oh, banks closed on Saturdays!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Interesting dichotomy, that. I had a comedy troupe going for a decade in the mid-70s to mid-80s, and while I found that I was comfortable in a sketch setting, solo stand-up never clicked for me. On the reverse, we would sometimes try to incorporate a solo comedian into the troupe, and usually without success.

I think part of Rap's ability to fly solo successfully was his range of characters; he became a comedy troupe of one. I'm sure he honed his skills bouncing off the others in Booga Booga.
                    If you have experience with performing comedy, then no doubt you appreciate that the most difficult task in maintaining a successful act is continually coming up with new material that will keep the audience coming back for more. The "not ready for primetime" SNL players have the luxury of falling back on a large network-funded team of writers that are on staff. A small-time troupe just starting out at the local club (like Booga Booga in the mid 1970s) only have themselves to depend on. And this is why I singled out Rap. What made Rap so special wasn't the fact that he was willing to dress in drag (Andy Bumatai could do that). And it wasn't his ability to mimic different voices and accents (Dave Lancaster could do that).

No. What made Rap special and a "genius" was his creativity and writing. The Poi Dog LP, as Leo says, is basically Rap being a one-man comedy troupe, thanks to the wonders of studio recording technology. The scenarios and gags weren't far removed from what Rap, Jimmy, and Ed were doing live at the Territorial Tavern. But the jokes and humor on Poi Dog was new and fresh, not recycled Booga Booga stuff. And it could only have come from the mind of Rap.

And just to respond to those who think that my enthusiasm for Rap amounts to a short-shrifting for the other members of Booga Booga: Let me make this clear. I have nothing but the highest respect for those guys. Jimmy was a very talented and versatile actor, whether it be on the stage, TV, or the big screen. And his range went well beyond playing "local" characters. He could do Shakespeare, kabuki, you name it.

Andy Bumatai had a hugely successful career. Too many accomplishments to list here.... but All In Da Ohana (both the TV production and the LP recording) proved that Andy could perform the one-man comedy act just as well as Rap. The writing part, well,... not even Andy could duplicate Rap's unique style.

These guys, as well as Ed Kaahea, Frank B. Shaner, Dave Lancaster, Ray Bumatai..... they were all talented men in their own right and have all left their mark on the entertainment business here.

But "genius" is not a label that I hand out readily and casually. As successful as all the other Booga Booga alums have been, only Rap earns that special designation from me.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 22, 2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      A lonely figure in a non-existent line
                      I wait for hours
                      Oh, banks closed on Saturdays!
                      Remember now, when you cooking chicken, you have to cook the chicken at 850 degrees for 1 minute. Or 5 degrees for 4 days.

Comment

you guys are too funny!
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The credit goes to Rap, for his wonderful "haiku."

Comment

Working...
                          X