Rap - Hawaii's Comic Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rap - Hawaii's Comic Genius

It's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to stop in and say Aloha.

Recently KGMB featured a show about Rap Reiplinger, "Rap - Hawaii's Comic Genius"

Watching it here in the Mainland, it brought back wonderful memories and even tears to my eyes.
    https://www.facebook.com/rapreiplinger
    One thing they mentioned was Rap's Facebook page.

Hey, guess what! I am the Admin for that page. Since the show I have connected with the Mountain Apple Record company and Rap's family and they are thrilled that I am keeping Rap "alive" through Facebook.

I just wanted to invite you all here to check out the page if that is your thing, and maybe this will spur me on to posting here more often.

-Dru
    Last edited by drumorgan; November 30, 2011, 03:02 PM.

Re: Rap - Hawaii's Comic Genius

right after the first showing earlier this month, i went to facebook and checked off 'like' for rap!

I like the tidbits, and the numerous responses back from fans indicate he truly is a favorite in local comedy... !

Comment

It's a lot of fun. Seems Rap is more quotable than Monty Python!

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan View Post
        It's a lot of fun. Seems Rap is more quotable than Monty Python!
        Those are might big shoes to fill. . .
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Rap was not a part of my youth, nor an influence on my style of humor, in the fashion that Monty Python was. Yet I find that, even with later-in-life exposure to his comedy, he is eminently quotable as well.

Not too sweet, not too rancid, but just right!

The show referred to is now available on DVD:
          http://www.mountainapplecompany.com/...s-comic-genius

It'll definitely be on my wish-list.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            Those are mighty big shoes to fill. . .
            Tell me about it. I think years ago, I just wanted to "like" Rap Reiplinger on Facebook, and since he didn't have a page, it stepped me through creating one. I had no intentions of "becoming" his online presence. But, years later, it is awesome to see how much Aloha he still brings to everyone.

Comment

Rap: Hawaii's Comic Genius is showing tonight @ 8pm, KHNL ch.8.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

back in the early 70's, I spent many evenings sitting at the bar in Territorial Tavern trying not to fall off my stool from laughing at Booga Booga. I am so grateful to have been able to experience them at the beginning. I don't think I've ever seen any group so consistently funny - or timely. and you could really tell who the "locals" were because the tourists weren't laughing. oh, and the other act was 2 very young men called the Beamer Bros who were just starting out. anyone who was a regular there knew who "Miss Momi Lomi Lomi" was! What a summer it was!
                Last edited by anapuni808; December 18, 2011, 07:27 PM.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I too was lucky enough to have caught the show there. Little did I know at the time just how special Booga Booga would be remembered.

Comment

Before I was born, but I still wish I could have been there too! Guess there's another stop on my time machine tour.

Comment

I was one of those at TT not laughing much, or at least not knowing what I was laughing at. I was still getting used to Honolulu while living near the Oceania in the late 70s, and the Tavern was one of the few places I knew was near and fun. I'd bring home new words, motions, and phrases to express and watch hilarity ensue.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

So Ron, you must have double the fun when you see old clips, now that you'd "get it"!

Comment

Nah, I never did learn too much local and still miss a lot, but I have fun laffing at and with locals when it's joke time, lot's of material! They tend to enjoy aiming at everyone without race becoming an ugly issue. Even Portugese laff when they learn the secret ingredient to portugese sausage...
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Or why the airport runway is so short and wide. (Thanks Rap)

Comment

Amazing how many people were touched by this period of Hawaiian history. For many it is the food, or the local establishments, the music. But for me, a huge part of is was Rap. Listening to him is a great way to transport me back, not only to the Islands in the 70s, but also to my childhood. Very powerful.

And, with the Facebook page, I have met countless people who grew up in HI and moved away and look back fondly to that era.

Comment

Working...
                              X