Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Territory of Hawaii milk token?

  1. #1

    Default Territory of Hawaii milk token?

    What's the story behind this odd item? http://www.ebay.com/itm/exo-Territor...torefresh=true

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,026

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    I have no idea. Also no have no idea what T.H. stands for.

  3. #3

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    I have no idea. Also no have no idea what T.H. stands for.
    Territory of Hawaii. I guess you had to be there.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,026

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    I was there, just that I was too young to remember it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    What's the story behind this odd item? http://www.ebay.com/itm/exo-Territor...torefresh=true
    http://www.thecoinguyhawaii.com/

    FROM THE TURN OF THE 20TH CENTURY UNTIL THE MID 50'S MILK IN HAWAII WAS DELIVERED IN GLASS BOTTLES, THESE MILK TOKENS WERE LEFT IN THE EMPTIES FOR REDEMTION.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  6. #6

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    Then how did actual $ get exchanged?
    How was milk delivered in Hawaii?
    In LA, our house was built in the '20s and had a hole in the backside wall the size of a gallon of bottled milk with a door on each side for delivery, and kept it cooler than left on the porch. We never used it but I remember it scared the hell out of me as a kid.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kalihi
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    I don't recall seeing those tokens probably before my time. The milk was delivered in the usual manner by truck and was left at the door. The empties were also left near the door and the milkman would replace them with full bottles. In those days it was delivered early in the morning so it was usually outside the door when you woke up. We used to get Dairyman's milk. There was all kinds of "man" back then, milkman, rubbish man, garbage man, chlorox man, and vegetable man.

  8. #8

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    And policeman, fireman, mailman.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,026

    Default Re: Territory of Hawaii milk token?

    I do remember that milk was delivered to my parents' home in bottles and it was waiting in the morning. It was before the time I entered school. I don't remember the tokens, or how payment was made or when or why that method of milk distrubtion stopped.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: T.H. milk token?

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    I don't recall seeing those tokens probably before my time. The milk was delivered in the usual manner by truck and was left at the door. The empties were also left near the door and the milkman would replace them with full bottles. In those days it was delivered early in the morning so it was usually outside the door when you woke up. We used to get Dairyman's milk. There was all kinds of "man" back then, milkman, rubbish man, garbage man, chlorox man, and vegetable man.
    I, also, do not recall seeing any of those tokens. Don't know how you'd get one, that's how good the delivery system was.

    Living in Mayor Wright's in the '50s, it was not exceptional to wake up & see milk bottles sitting next to everyone's front door. It would be, now, I suppose.

    BTW I also recall the manapua man, crying out "Manapua, pepeiau !!" . . . over and over . . . while walking with two steam trays at the end of a long wooden pole.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •