Sears and KMart closings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears and KMart closings

Sears media has released the initial list of almost 80 Sears and K Mart stores it will close for sure - no Hawaii stores on the list.

http://www.searsmedia.com/tools/122711_close.pdf

Re: Sears and KMart closings

KMart has deserved to close for years, really lousy customer relations behind the typical big box facade. Good riddance, but too bad for the few decent workers.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Seems like it wasn't so long ago that the KMart opening on Nimitz backed up traffic. Everyone was flocking to the first of the big box stores to come to Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        first of the big box stores to come to Honolulu.
        You mean Hawaii never had a ZODY'S?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          No. Not that I would classify Zodys as a "big-box" retail chain, a la Kmart or Walmart. They were more like the five-and-dime types like Kress or Woolworths.

Zodys never made it to Hawaii. They were a regional chain, mostly concentrated on the west coast.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

ZODY'S was the early embodiment of the term 'big box store', nothing but a huge soulless monolithic bargain basement, precursed only by White Front. Kress and Woolworth types had an infinitely more inviting atmosphere, some actual style, you could even bring the family for a decent meal.

Comment

ZODY'S was the early embodiment of the term 'big box store', nothing but a huge soulless monolithic bargain basement, precursed only by White Front. Kress and Woolworth types had an infinitely more inviting atmosphere, some actual style, you could even bring the family for a decent meal.
              The selection and volume of merchandise at a typical Zodys was far more in line with Woolworth than Walmart. And like Woolworth, the entire Zodys chain closed down.

BTW, Zodys wasn't spelled with an apostrophe.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 31, 2011, 12:46 AM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Not that I know of. We did have Wigwam, Cornet and still have Ben Franklen. But I don't know as they ever made the same splash that KMart did.

Nor were they the start of the Big Box wave that came to Hawaii.

Comment

Where were the Wigwam stories located in Honolulu, wasn't there one in the shopping center in Kalihi that has Foodland, Popeye's, etc.? Are the buildings that once were Wigwam stores still intact?

I was shocked to see a Kress store in Las Vegas a few years ago, I'm sure it is closed down now.

Comment

Wigwam Stores to my recollection became a series of Pay N Save Stores which in time became PayLess after which Longs' acquired them... and now Longs' is just a shell of CVS Pharmacies. I think one of the Wigwam Stores is where City Square is along Dillingham, but I can't exactly remember. I think they had a SkySlide there too. There was also a Wigwam Store along Kinoole St. in Hilo.

I also liked Kress Store and Woolworths'; especially the ones in Hilo.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Where were the Wigwam stories located in Honolulu, wasn't there one in the shopping center in Kalihi that has Foodland, Popeye's, etc.? Are the buildings that once were Wigwam stores still intact?
                      One of the Honolulu Wigwam location was where Long's Moiliili used to be, across from Stadium Park. It's an empty building now, undergoing renovation. Not sure who's going to take over that location.

There were a lot of Wigwam locations in Hawaii, 14 of them, I think. That Kalihi location you mentioned was one of them; Waipahu and Dillingham were two more. Anyone remember other locations?

Comment

Kailua had a Wigwam, right next to FoodCity (I think it was a "City" and not a "Land") Across the parking lot from the old post office.

Comment

The building that housed the 2 Wigwam stores on Dillingham (there were seperate units for the general merchandise and furniture stores) is still very much there, presently occupied by the likes of Savers, Pricebusters, and Foodland. In between Wigwam and the present retailers, there was a lot of turnover in tenants.

I was shocked to see a Kress store in Las Vegas a few years ago, I'm sure it is closed down now.
                          The Kress store operation is but a fond memory at this point. But some of the beatifully designed and ornamented Kress buildings have been preserved on the outside, while the interior have been converted to other uses, like the one in Hilo. I always thought it was a shame that the downtown Honolulu Kress building was not saved from the wrecking ball. It stood empty for many years during the 1980s.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          I think one of the Wigwam Stores is where City Square is along Dillingham, but I can't exactly remember.
                          Wigwam was there??? I don't remember that. What is now the City Square building used to be a GEMS department store, along with Jolly Rogers restaurant.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          I think they had a SkySlide there too.
                          Noooo. This isn't true. There were only 2 skyslides. The ones in Mapunapuna and Waipahu.

Comment

In the 30+ years I have been here, I have never seen so any empty storefronts, so many "FOR LEASE - CHEAP!" signs, from Hon to Aiea to Kahalu`u.

Is this Obama's "Change?" If so, it looks like spare change, and yes, I'll take some, thank you.

Or is it our local Hawaii economy? From the OP, it seems not. God save us; if you are not there [God], we will do it ourselves, as usual. (Cue Beatles) There's goona be a revolution.... umhmmmm....

When will we be fed up enough? What will it take?

You have heard of the "Golden Parachutes" given to the mortgage gang?

ALLEG$EDLY:

"Here's a quick look into the Three former Fannie Mae executives who
                            brought down Wall Street.

Franklin Raines was a Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Fannie
                            Mae. Raines was forced to retire from his position with Fannie Mae
                            when auditing discovered severe irregularities in Fannie Mae's
                            accounting activities. Raines left with a "golden parachute valued at
                            $240 Million in benefits. The Government filed suit against Raines
                            when the depth of the accounting scandal became clear.

Tim Howard - was the Chief Financial Officer of Fannie Mae. Howard
                            "was a strong internal proponent of using accounting strategies that
                            would ensure a "stable pattern of earnings" at Fannie. Investigations
                            by federal regulators and the company's board of directors since
                            concluded that management did manipulate 1998 earnings to trigger
                            bonuses. Raines and Howard resigned under pressure in late 2004.
                            Howard's Golden Parachute was estimated at $20 Million!

Jim Johnson - A former executive at Lehman Brothers and who was later
                            forced from his position as Fannie Mae CEO. Investigators found that
                            Fannie Mae had hidden a substantial amount of Johnson's 1998
                            compensation from the public, reporting that it was between $6 million
                            and $7 million when it fact it was $21 million." Johnson is currently
                            under investigation for taking illegal loans from Countrywide while
                            serving as CEO of Fannie Mae. Johnson's Golden Parachute was
                            estimated at $28 Million.

SO.................WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

FRANKLIN RAINES? Raines works for the Obama Campaign as his Chief
                            Economic Advisor.

TIM HOWARD? Howard is a Chief Economic Advisor to Obama under
                            Franklin Raines.

JIM JOHNSON? Johnson was hired as a Senior Obama Finance Advisor and
                            was selected to run Obama's Vice Presidential Search Committee."

This is all anecdotal. I have no proof of these claims, but I don't doubt them.

Contemporary American government, rotton to the core?????
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

OK. I stand corrected on the Dillingham Wigwam locations. Thanks. Been ages since I been there.

What this economy needs to do is stop excessive regulation and overtaxation in order to keep old and small buisnesses alive. Way too much regulations and taxation.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X