iPod touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod touch

Does anyone use Apple's iPod touch, the models currently being sold on the Apple web site?

I am kind of interested in the built in camera features of the product.

The specifications make no mention of flash, zoom, or burst mode (able to take 2 to 3 shots at a time) capability.

I take it photos that are taken with this product can be uploaded to a computer (which would be a Windows 7 based computer) at a later time. Would that be via iTunes or would an additional software would need to be installed?

I am leaning on getting the 32Gbyte version which runs at $299.

Any other comments about this product (as well as the 8Gbyte and 64Gbyte versions)?

Re: iPod touch

I am not sure on the burst mode, but I know you can zoom and stitch together panoramas and such. There are also all sorts of after market camera apps that you can use/add. Once you upload the photos to your computer, you can edit them using whatever program you like.

The newest generations of the iPod Touch are basically the iPhone with out the phone part. The only difference that I am aware of with the different models/capacities are just that, the amount of data you can hold.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
      The newest generations of the iPod Touch are basically the iPhone with out the phone part.
      And the 3G data and GPS, but still with the WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        [...]
        I am kind of interested in the built in camera features of the product.

The specifications make no mention of flash, zoom, or burst mode (able to take 2 to 3 shots at a time) capability.
        [...]
        I have this iPod and am underwhelmed by the camera as it doesn't have a flash and is pretty low res. Once in camera mode, drag 2 fingers on the screen to get the zoom control. Tap on the screen with one finger for exposure.

The other thing I don't like about it...which won't affect you, Helen...is, when using iCal, the To Do list is excluded. The Apple Store staff was kind of confused by this...some saying it should be included, others saying it wouldn't. Well, it wasn't! I eventually found an app that allowed me to download that feature to my iPod. The To Do list is a necessity for me...my favorite feature in iCal!

Comment

There are 2 cameras on the iPod Touch. One forward facing and one facing you... or is it backward facing... whatever. One you use to take pictures of yourself, the other you use to take pictures of stuff.

The still camera is definitely undwhelming... about the same .0975 DPI as my lowly Nintendo DSi. Still I have used the camera to take a lot of low-res pictures when I have nothing else around.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/macpro...81080456/show/

That said, the video camera function is superb. The back camera take high definition video as far as I know... very clear and nice. Probably equal to the 4G iPhone.

Other than that, the reason why I own an iPod Touch is because it can do most everything else the iPhone or the iPad can do but in a smaller and cheaper package... re: NO CELL PHONE BILL! You lay out money to buy an iPod Touch and you don't get hit with a monthly bill like a cell phone. I like that.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

for the same price of $199, you can get an IPhone 4S which has a much superior camera, all your IPod music features, videos, many other features plus the phone.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

And the $99 monthly bill.... iPod Touch = no monthly bill.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

my monthly bill is way less than that and includes my phone! I only have a cell phone bill, don't have a land line.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Bottom line is this.

iPod Touch = no cell or phone bill of any type. Zero. zip. nada. 0
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I totally agree with that. but, since most have a cell phone, I'm just saying that this is a viable solution.
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Getting back to the camera features of the iPod Touch. As stated, the still camera is mediocre. Still it takes pictures and you can use many of the apps built for the iPhone on the iPod Touch... Instagram is one of the most popular... there are many others that "enhance" the camera function.

The main component of the iPod is a good wifi connection. Most of the apps available for the iPod Touch rely on a wifi connection. Best if you have a home network and know where the free wifi hotspots are around your town.

I like my iPod Touch for what I can do with it... internet, photography, video, music listening, radio streams, more... just look for an app at the iTunes App store. Many are free. Some of the paid ones are reasonably priced if you need something beyond free.

The iPod Touch is not a phone. However people buy it because they don't want a phone... or they may already have another phone and don't need another one. Yet they may want the functionality that the iPod Touch brings to the table without the extra cost burden of a cell phone bill. The iPod Touch fits the bill for this.

I am a proud owner of a 64GB 4th Generation (current) iPod Touch.
                      Last edited by mel; December 31, 2011, 08:50 PM.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Helen, what are you planing to do with it? As far as I know, cell phone cameras are cell phone cameras. You'd do better to spend the same amount of money on a real camera, like a Canon.

I assume you're looking for something else as well.

Comment

The cameras that will take video in mp4 file format seem to be a sort of universal
                          file format between assorted types of gadgets.
                          A video camera that encodes to standardised formats will get more viewers.
                          The world of computer video file formats almost reminds one of the tower of babel
                          Last edited by lensperson; December 31, 2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I personally think that we all will promote whatever technology we happen to have at this time. So, I think that what you need to do is decide what is best for YOU and what is possible for YOU with the technology YOU have at this time.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I am not a fan of itunes. So when I sold my 80GB Zune I was looking for another MP3 media player. Most who I talked to said I should get a iTouch.
                              I ended up picking up a Samsung Galaxy Media Player. They have them in 3.6, 4.0, 4.2, & 5.0" size screens. I went with the 5.0 Samsung Galaxy Player.

Comment

Working...
                              X