Spotify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotify

Okay, who is using Spotify? If you aren't familiar with it, it's a free online music streaming service with quite a library. Sort of like Pandora, except that you search for music and choose exactly what you want to play.

I haven't shelled out for their subscription, but the even with the commercials, it's made so much music more accessible to me. The Hawaiian and Island tune situation could certainly be better, but it's great to be able to dip into nostalgia and genres I've neglected or forgotten.

I'd love to exchange some tunes with people, or even just hear what awesome songs you've (re)discovered.

Re: Spotify

I am on Spotify. Been there since it was made available to the US last year.

Username: macprohawaii

Due to the 20 hour limit for free accounts I use this rather sparingly, just to sample new music or albums that I may consider purchasing. I have quite a large playlist compiled, so I think if you friend me there or something you can listen to my music.

I also use Last.FM, I Heart Radio and Pandora. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. All have free access for a number of things. I use Last FM the most to track what I am listening to. Last FM also tracks songs I listen to on Spotify.

Last FM: http://www.last.fm/user/macpro

I disabled the tracking of Spotify songs to Facebook since it re-lists everything I listen to on my wall.

I also started using "This is My Jam" where users can share one song per week (or more if you change the song frequently) with friends.

http://thisismyjam.com/macpro

Again I use these because they all have a "free" option.

Using a combination of all of them assures that I won't go beyond the limitations. Plus I have my huge iTunes library, iPods, CDs, old fashioned vinyl, streaming and regular broadcast radio... so the options for music (free and/or paid) are numerous.
    Last edited by mel; January 2, 2012, 08:48 PM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I signed up with Spotify the first day it became available in the US last year. I love the service! The desktop app has become my main source for listening to music at home and work. Also signed up for the Spotify Premium subscription so I can stream music to my iPhone and iPad unlimited without ads. Definitely worth spending the $10/month if you love music and want to listen on the go.

The Hawaiian music selection on Spotify has definitely gotten better. I started a Hawaiian music playlist last summer featuring traditional slack key, ukulele, hula, falsetto. The playlist has already grown to over 2,600 tracks. It's a published playlist, so anyone with Spotify can subscribe to the playlist by clicking this link..

Hawaiian

I split out vintage Hawaiian and reggae/contemporary music into their own separate playlists.

Vintage Hawaiian

Hawaiian Island Jamz

Comment

Thanks! I remember digging around a bit with my father-in-law, and finding, you know, a few songs here and there...but I'm glad you've kept on it and assembled such an improved list!

Comment

I love Spotify and am ready to pay the $5 for the ad-free service, but now I can't decide between it and Rdio. I like the shared playlist feature, which lets you and friends collaborate on playlists. Here's a playlist that pz and I have contributed to, called COVERS, and started by the awesome @valdezign.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I LOVE Spotify, and it has pretty much replaced Pandora, and Grooveshark for me.

I tried the Spotify premium so I could use in on my mobile, but, it would crash constantly, would uninstall, and re-install time and time again, and ALWAYS, the same results. . . so, desktop for work/home, and Pandora for mobile.

I hope that the develop an app/interface for the PS3/XBOX/Samsung Smarthub, that would be fantastic!

Feel free to Add me: Jon Kenyon

I'll look forward to checking out the links/lists you all have put up, Mahalo!!
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by azkeoni View Post
              I signed up with Spotify the first day it became available in the US last year. I love the service! The desktop app has become my main source for listening to music at home and work. Also signed up for the Spotify Premium subscription so I can stream music to my iPhone and iPad unlimited without ads. Definitely worth spending the $10/month if you love music and want to listen on the go.

The Hawaiian music selection on Spotify has definitely gotten better. I started a Hawaiian music playlist last summer featuring traditional slack key, ukulele, hula, falsetto. The playlist has already grown to over 2,600 tracks. It's a published playlist, so anyone with Spotify can subscribe to the playlist by clicking this link..

Hawaiian

I split out vintage Hawaiian and reggae/contemporary music into their own separate playlists.

Vintage Hawaiian

Hawaiian Island Jamz
              These are great, so nice!! many mahalos, I have subscribed!
              flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Been a while since I looked at this topic. OK - I am going to have to check out your playlists. Thanks for the links.

As for my Spotify use, I still keep it with the free option, desktop only. Don't need the mobile... iTunes/iPod music is good for that, plus iHeart Radio is free all the time every time.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I tried to sign up, but since I don't use BookFace, it wouldn't let me do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    I tried to sign up, but since I don't use BookFace, it wouldn't let me do so.
                    You should be able to sign up without the requirements of FB, or any other Social Media site. IIRC, It will prompt for that info first, but you should be offered other options, if you opt out of the facebook stuff.
                    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      You should be able to sign up without the requirements of FB, or any other Social Media site. IIRC, It will prompt for that info first, but you should be offered other options, if you opt out of the facebook stuff.
                      That's what I thought, too, but every time I tried, it took me back to a prompt for FB info. I'll check it again and see what step I may have missed (I'm on Twitter - maybe I can use that info if needed).

Comment

I think I signed up maybe 5 minutes before they started using Facebook for their sign-ins. So I have a "plain" account which is still linked to Facebook, but doesn't authenticate with it. I think!

I hope you can get it working Leo. Sounds like they are being "agile"--in the sense of "leaping around like maniacs and not worrying if the old stuff still works"

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
                          Thanks! I remember digging around a bit with my father-in-law, and finding, you know, a few songs here and there...but I'm glad you've kept on it and assembled such an improved list!
                          Spotify signing up smaller indie labels has certainly helped improve the selection of Hawaiian music available for streaming. There are still some notable Hawaiian artists missing from Spotify like Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and Brothers Cazimero. IZ's music is available to Spotify users in Europe, but they still have yet to obtain the rights to his music here in the US. Hopefully soon! I do have IZ's albums in my Hawaiian playlist, but only because they're in my local iTunes collection.

If anyone has suggestions for Hawaiian artists/albums missing from my playlists, feel free to reply here or PM me. I try to spend some time every week searching Spotify's catalog for new music to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            That's what I thought, too, but every time I tried, it took me back to a prompt for FB info. I'll check it again and see what step I may have missed (I'm on Twitter - maybe I can use that info if needed).
                            Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                            Nope. When I try to signup for a Spotify account, it always takes me back to a screen that says "Sign up for Facebook to start using Spotify." Bastids.

Comment

You can set up a dummy Facebook account and then use that to sign up with Spotify. That's what a lot of people are doing. Yeah it's inconvenient, but it's really the only option now that Spotify requires having a Facebook login. You can lock down the dummy Facebook account so it's completely private. And you'll never even have to use that Facebook account. Just like setting up a dummy email address.

Comment

Working...
                              X