Downton Abbey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downton Abbey

There's a British TV show called "Downton Abbey" that's won or been nominated for a long list of awards -- BAFTAs, Emmys, Golden Globes, and several more. Here in the US, it airs on PBS's Masterpiece Theater. Season One is already complete in both the UK and US, and it's available on Netflix. Season Two is complete in the UK and starts this Sunday (Jan 8) in the US.

It's the kind of show I never thought I'd like. It's one of those "Pride and Prejudice" costume period dramas set in old England. Downton Abbey starts in 1912 (there are telegraphs and automobiles) so it's not set quite as far back as most period dramas, but people still have formal tea in their castles surrounded by their servants, marriages are still arranged, and everyone still acts like they have a stick up their...... well, you know.

Anyway, the odd thing is, I really dig this show. Are all period dramas this interesting? Maybe I should start watching more. I never thought I'd be into a show like this, and I certainly never thought I ever get old enough to actually LIKE something on Masterpiece Theater.

Anyone here watch the show?
    Last edited by zff; January 6, 2012, 04:09 PM.

Re: Downton Abbey

I'm really enjoying it although I wouldn't exactly call it similar to Prided & Prejudice - it's much more modern than that. I'm watching on Netflix.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Haven't heard of Downton Abbey before until this thread popped up. The series was mentioned tonight on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to check out an epsiode.

Comment

I'm curious. What did Mr. Ferguson say about the show?

I compared it to Pride & Prejudice, but Anapuni is right, Downton Abbey is far more modern. I have to admit, I'm pretty ignorant about this genre. Any costume period drama about European aristocrats indiscriminately falls into that same "Pride & Prejudice"/"Upstairs, Downstairs" category of unwatchable media for me. Well, that is until "Downton Abbey".

I'm surprised at how much I like this show. As we were watching Season 1, the wife and I were planning to just watch Season 2 on PBS with the rest of the US -- but we became so addicted to the show that I turned to the Internet like a junkie looking for a fix. We just finished season 2 including the Christmas Special, and now we're in withdrawls along with the entire UK.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
          I'm curious. What did Mr. Ferguson say about the show?
          I remember right he was comparing the series which is set in England and him being from Scotland, then about the series being aired on PBS which Craig says stood for a Primary British Show, from that point on Craig and Geoff (the robot sidekick) made jokes about what PBS stood for.

Comment

Picked up Series 1 from iTunes a couple of weeks ago (was selling around $9.99). Watched the 7 episodes in that series in a couple of days and then I picked up Series 2, watched the 9 episodes of it across 3 days. Needless to say I was hooked and I picked up Series 3,4,5 and 6. Finally finished watching the remaining episodes a few days ago.

There is a whole host of characters and storylines that make watching this series interesting. One example is the character named Lady Violet played by Maggie Smith, who is a woman in her 70's. While she has issues dealing with the notion of weekends and newly 20th century technology like the electric light bulb and radio, she is not taken aback by human drama and family politics.

Comment

Working...
            X