USPS going down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USPS going down

Times are a-changing, like it or not. Thanks to advances of technology (e-mail, fax, etc.) mail volume is down and the postal service as we have known it for so many years is no longer sustainable.

You'll still get your boxes and parcels delivered on Saturday. But the regular mail delivery,.... well, most people I talk to in my business understand the small sacrifice that is necessary in the face of changing conditions.

The people who are whining and moaning about the loss of regular mail delivery on Saturday are the same asinine folks who would clamor for the milkman to make a comeback, if they had their way.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The PO has done the impossible and done it for over 100 years, gotten the mail to every person/household, no matter where. Who's gonna match that?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Those of us who have moved personal messages and bill paying mostly to the internet are not going to miss Saturday mail delivery, especially since Saturday package delivery will continue. Donahoe, the Postmaster General, says the main cause of the USPS current budget crisis is Congress requiring pre-funding the retirement system in only 10 years (MSNBC interview today, 2/9). The total cost of that is $100 billion of which $50 billion has already been paid, but more time is needed to pay the rest. He also said that package delivery on Sundays will soon be announced.
        Greg

Comment

The topic on Randi Rhodes' show yesterday was the post office. She said making it economically unviable was deliberate by the Republicans in Congress. The idea is twofold: 1-throw more business to private industry, 2-liquidate post office assets at bargain basement prices to campaign contributors. Assets value estimated at about $100 billion. It all fits the ideology that there is no place for a public sector, everything should be private. Making college/university education prohibitively expensive fits, students attend way over priced private schools, they graduate with gargantuan debt that really can probably never be paid off. But who cares, the wealth of campaign contributors is all that figures in the equation. Closing down pension plans fits, too. The statistic was mentioned that the average 401K has only about $19,000 in it; that obviously is not enough for a comfortable retirement unless one is planning on living only 6 months to a year after retiring. But again, who cares about retirees? Only the wealthy campaign contributors on Wall St. count. The public has voted for this, every time they voted Republican. The Democrats and yes, sensible Republicans, who created the middle class are long gone along with funded pension plans and affordable state colleges and soon, the post office. Randi noted that the post office was provided for in the Constitution. Our sainted Founding Fathers thought it was an acceptable even necessary expenditure of public money, a necessary government function, to provide for a postal service. So...give every molecule of consideration to the widest most extreme possible interpretation of the 2nd Amendment and forget the post office.

Comment

It is quite likely that those who drafted this bill have never looked into an

empty pantry and thought " how am I going to feed my children?"

The fat oligarchs who strut those vaunted halls have sucked the living wages

away from the hard working and kindly people.

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...0a4_story.html

Saturday delivery will continue.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...180645411.html

The one dollar stamp might be a little too much an increase.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                  To me, USPS needs more drastic changes than these. All they are going to do is end the delivery of first class and bulk items. If POs will remain open and Priority Mail still delivered on Saturdays, will they really save that much money?

I'd rather see them stop all Sat delivery, stay closed on Sat, and outsource weekend deliveries to FedEx and UPS.
                  The problem with this solution is that many (and when I say many, we are talking millions) of our seniors get their medication by U.S. Mail. Are we going to ask millions on a fixed income who can barely afford to pay their co-pays and drug plan premiums to now fork over the cost of FedEx, simply because their medicine was mailed on Friday, and therefore could only be delivered by FedEx/UPS the following day?

There are some critical items that must be delivered on Saturday. That is why completely eliminating Saturday delivery, while saving USPS money, would unfairly increase the cost to other companies and individuals who simply don’t have the means to pay those costs. We can’t let them go without their meds just because of that.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    There are some critical items that must be delivered on Saturday.
                    Name two. Why can't things scheduled for Saturday delivery be delivered on Friday instead?
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                      Name two. Why can't things scheduled for Saturday delivery be delivered on Friday instead?
                      Yes, that seems workable. As for things like medications, many (if not all) mail order pharmacies put repeat drugs on an auto-refill schedule, so that they are sent out ahead of time (so the patient does not run out). Mine schedules 7 days in advance. Meaning, for a 30 day supply, they sent out a fefill order on the 23rd day of each cycle. It would not matter if they cancelled Saturday deliveries, things don't arrive on that 30th day, they come in a few days in advance.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                        As for things like medications, many (if not all) mail order pharmacies put repeat drugs on an auto-refill schedule, so that they are sent out ahead of time (so the patient does not run out). Mine schedules 7 days in advance. Meaning, for a 30 day supply, they sent out a fefill order on the 23rd day of each cycle. It would not matter if they cancelled Saturday deliveries, things don't arrive on that 30th day, they come in a few days in advance.
                        Unfortunately, mail order pharmacies legally cannot “put repeat drugs on an auto-refill schedule” without express permission from their customers. Having worked in the industry, I can tell you by and large most patients out there prefer not to opt in to automated delivery. This is for a variety of reasons such as their doctor altering the strength of their medication over time, seniors who forget to take their medication thus building a stockpile of unused meds, and the prospect of not knowing when their credit card will be charged, as “automatic” programs also tend to require “automatic” payments — in advance.

Regardless of all of this, it simply doesn’t matter if their medication is scheduled to get a patient’s home well before he or she runs out. If that “automated” ship date happens to fall on a Friday, Saturday delivery will be needed — particularly for diabetic medications which must be shipped with a cold-pack which obviously means it can’t “sit” at the U.S. Post Office over the weekend. Duh, Amati!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          If that “automated” ship date happens to fall on a Friday, Saturday delivery will be needed — particularly for diabetic medications which must be shipped with a cold-pack which obviously means it can’t “sit” at the U.S. Post Office over the weekend. Duh, Amati!
                          OK, I"ll bite. Your scenerio implies that the diabetic will not have enough forethought to order in advance of running out. Yes, that could be a problem, but then again, maybe they just need to think ahead a day or so further in advance? Use a calendar? Have a sticky-note on their coffee mug? Enlist a friend or family to help with a reminder?
                          As for the pharmacy knowing that there is no Saturday delivery, yet sending out a medication that will sit in a Post Office over the weekend, I think they'll be able to figure out the appropriate mailing timeline.
                          I think the "Duh" factor here is actually your assumption that patients and pharmacies are a bunch of dummies who cannot figure out how to work out a reasonable mailing schedule.

However, I do have a "Duh" factor for myself that I will readily admit to. I've got to remember to sign in so that my "ignore list" feature is functioning! Remembering that will definitely affect my further responses on this thread.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Your scenerio implies that the diabetic will not have enough forethought to order in advance of running out.
                            No, it doesn’t, actually. It simply implies that 91-year-olds are a little more forgetful than the rest of us. Okay, a lot more.

Use a calendar? Have a sticky-note on their coffee mug? Enlist a friend or family to help with a reminder?
                            Obviously you are new to this, so let me give you a little hint. Go to Longs Drugs and see what percentage of customers are picking up their Atorvastatin less than two days before they will be completely out of meds. My educated guess: more than 95%!

Now realize that a large amount of seniors are ordering their Losartan by mail, not by force of habit, but because they are too frail to walk to Walgreens or recently learned it’s cheaper to buy Crestor by mail then to pick it up at Mina Pharmacy (every penny counts when you are on a fixed income). You are talking about hundreds, if not thousands of kupuna who have no clue how this process works and/or are shocked that for the first time in their life, they have to “pay in advance.” Confused and disoriented is putting it mildly.

I think the "Duh" factor here is actually your assumption that patients and pharmacies are a bunch of dummies who cannot figure out how to work out a reasonable mailing schedule.
                            I don’t think intelligence has a thing to do with it. That is YOU assuming that human beings are the ones “working things out.” In this day and age, all this stuff is handled by computers. In fact it was YOU who brought up the concept of “automated delivery.” Computers can’t predict when a newbie mailman is going to put Latanoprost in a mailbox in 90-degree weather (thus rendering it unusable) instead of hand-delivering it to a patient’s doorstep. At that point, does it matter that it was delivered seven days early?

Think about it.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...O5w?li=BBnbfcL

We better take warnings seriously.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...2Xm?li=BBnb7Kw

Warning: Don't send fruits or meats through the mail.

Comment

Working...
                                X