Thread: Olive Garden - when?

Default Olive Garden - when?

Does anyone know when an Olive Garden will get here to the islands? Very nice restaurant, and I thought they were going to go into Ala Moana Center, but apparently, they did not.

Anyone out there in HT land that knows anything more about this?

Thank you!

Default Re: Olive Garden - when?

This is an exerpt from the actual Olive Garden company website. I don't see HI there.

Where will you be building future Olive Garden restaurants?
    As of August 2006, we plan to build new restaurants in the locations listed below. Actual locations, the number of new restaurants, and opening dates are projected and are subject to change. If your city is not listed, we hope to be coming soon. Please check back in October 2006 for an updated list.

Future Locations:
    Florence, SC (August 2006)
    Dothan, AL (August 2006)
    San Angelo, TX (September 2006)
    New Braunfels, TX (September 2006)
    Grove City, OH (September 2006)
    Hyattsville, MD (October 2006)
    Mankato, MN (October 2006)
    Hot Springs, AR (October 2006)
    Altamonte Springs, FL (November 2006)
    West Wichita, KS (November 2006)
    Opelika (Auburn), AL (November 2006)
    Hattiesburg, MS (November 2006)
    Leominster, MA (December 2006)
    Sioux City, IA (December 2006)
    Clarksville, IN (December 2006)
    Idaho Falls, ID (December 2006)
    Greenville, SC (December 2006)
    Temecula, CA (January 2007)
    Victoria, TX (January 2007)
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Ya, I checked that list out after I posted and maybe nobody in Hawaii likes Italian food from Olive Garden! aya! That place is really good!

If the national chain's parent company has not placed an Olive Garden here, it's not because local people don't like Italian food.

It's just frustrating to see all those national chain commercials on TV and not have a whatever-it-is here.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    If the national chain's parent company has not placed an Olive Garden here, it's not because local people don't like Italian food.

It's just frustrating to see all those national chain commercials on TV and not have a whatever-it-is here.
    You don't need an Olive Garden there. You already have Romano's Macaroni Grill in Ala Moana Ctr. That's got better "Italian" than Olive Garden by a longshot.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    You don't need an Olive Garden there. You already have Romano's Macaroni Grill in Ala Moana Ctr. That's got better "Italian" than Olive Garden by a longshot.
    And Assaggio is better still.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    True. I didn't realize they had one in Kailua, but they do.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    Olive Garden is owned by Darden Restaurants, which also owns Red Lobster, so they do have a (limited) presence in Hawaii.

I worked at Olive Garden for 3 years when I was in high school, and I gained about 15 lbs. from all the alfredo and breadsticks!

Exactly! Their breadsticks are really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio

Heavenly. No mainland chain comes close. Shoots. Even I can't come close to that chicken-eggplant-mushroom-parmigianna dish. Oh man. I know they'll make take out. One of these nights me and Kid 1 and Kid 2 are just going to have to do this!

@

Assagio/Paesanos both are awesome...

But if your taste for Italian food goes past red sauce and spaghetti you should check out Mediteranio on King Street (across from 1st Hawaiian Bank and two doors from the Fortune Teller). Great small & cozy restaurant. No reservations just walk in. You know you are in for a different experience when the bread is served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Huge portions, fresh everything, moderately priced...but sometimes spotty service. Well worth a try...and definitley a step up from The Olive Garden.

Mediteraneo is also quite good. Isn't it somehow linked to the Cafe Sistina chef?

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    Mediteraneo is also quite good. Isn't it somehow linked to the Cafe Sistina chef?
    You might be thinking of Pane e Vino which has the same owner as Mediterraneo. Here's a link to a review done by Helen Wu for the Advertiser of Pane. She mentions both spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang

Miulang
    Sorry dear.... Romano's does not come close to Olive Garden in my book. You can't bead the Olive Garden breadsticks... and the soup or salad ... all you can eat .... ono...

Eat the breadsticks/soup/salad and take your food home... even better the next day... very ono...
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

God, not soon enough!

Olive Garden is heaven on a plate.
    It's magic, you know.

I'm unclear as to what the all the fuss is about the Olive Garden. It's good...but only good as a national mainstream franchise specializing in Italian-style food can be.

Here in RI, one of two largest ethnic groups in state are the Italians..the other one are the Portuguese. (Plenty of malassadas, pao doce, and bacalao to be had here!) Most people I know here, who are of an Italian heritage, and happen to know a little about Italian cuisine, think the Olive Garden is just mass-produced fast-food Italian...to call Olive Garden an exceptional Italian restaurant, in their view, would be analogous as, say, a native of Maine calling Red Lobster a "wicked good" restaurant for seafood.

This area is blessed with so many restaurants that specialize in authentic Italian cuisine; the Federal Hill neighborhood of Providence and the North End of Boston are legendary for their restaurants that serve up superior Italian food. Quite frankly, with so many choices available in restaurants specializing in authentic Italian cuisine around here, I'm surprised that the Olive Gardens in existence here do so well; it seems that there is always a minimum of a thirty minute wait for a table at them here.

To me, it seems the one common thing that all patrons of the Olive Garden enjoy, is, of course, the breadsticks and house salad combination...I'm constantly hearing about how good it are. Yeah, I've had the combo, and it does make a nice appetizer for the main meal, but beyond it, I think Olive Garden is just mass-produced Italian-style food.

BTW, the breadstick and house salad combo is so popular, one can now order them as a meal by themselves at Olive Garden...it's an all-one-can-eat kind of deal.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 6th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    I always assumed that the 'Olive Gardens',were just Italian versions of Sizzlers, or Tony Romas? Another words, nothing to write home about if you have eaten real Italian food before..or so I've been told

Good Italian joints here in Honolulu....hard to find one of a San Fran, or New York quality.
    Speaking of Cafe Sistina, it was good when it first opened up...but now it has much to be desired in my opinion.
    Does anybody remember Cafe Cambio on Kapiolani blvd? To me they were the best Italian food in town hands down. It's unfortunate that the owners decided to part ways. One of them opened up Cafe Sistina, and I'm not sure what the other co-owner is doing these days. Cafe Cambio also delivered pasta to people's homes...damn...I miss Cafe Cambio!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Does anyone know when an Olive Garden will get here to the islands? Very nice restaurant, and I thought they were going to go into Ala Moana Center, but apparently, they did not.

Anyone out there in HT land that knows anything more about this?
    I haven't been to the new location of Olive Garden yet at the Ala Moana Shopping Center that opened in the location that used to be Buba Gumps starting on Thursday October 29, 2020.

However I did add the tag olive garden to the threads that mention this place.