USPS going down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS going down

If this is a sign of the USPS downsizing then I'm not liking it one bit. Last time I checked, it was about 10 miles from Honolulu to Kaneohe. Why would it take 4 days to deliver a package? FAIL!!!
    Attached Files

Re: USPS going down

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    If this is a sign of the USPS downsizing then I'm not liking it one bit. Last time I checked, it was about 10 miles from Honolulu to Kaneohe. Why would it take 4 days to deliver a package? FAIL!!!
    depends what type of service was used.

parcel post? First Class, Priority ?

Comment

It was parcel post to which I acknowledge it takes a bit longer. I guess the screen shot didn't show but it only took two days from Kentucky to Honolulu and then four days from Honolulu to Kaneohe. Very strange don't you agree?

And this is not the first time so it's not a fluke.

Comment

It was parcel post to which I acknowledge it takes a bit longer. I guess the screen shot didn't show but it only took two days from Kentucky to Honolulu and then four days from Honolulu to Kaneohe. Very strange don't you agree?

And this is not the first time so it's not a fluke.
        Parcel post is stated as 2-8 days for delivery. So as long as they haven't exceeded their time commitment, it's really not a failure on their behalf. I can see it being frustrating that you can track the package and it shows already arriving in Honolulu 4 days ago but I guess if one had no visibility into their internal logistics, then 6 days to deliver wouldn't be strange at all right? Otherwise, no one would pay for priority mail service.

Comment

Island mail service sucks!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

...and if they are talking "business days" for delivery, that leaves out 1/8. But still...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              ...and if they are talking "business days" for delivery, that leaves out 1/8. But still...
              I'm sure it meant 2-8 business days as in M-F. not as in the dates 2-8.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                I'm sure it meant 2-8 business days as in M-F. not as in the dates 2-8.
                You are correct, good sir - I wasn't sure if USPS counted Saturdays as a "business day," and they do not. So it means the package arrived Honolulu Thursday morning, sat there Thu & Fri, and went out for delivery Monday. That does fit within their guidelines for Parcel Post; you pay a lower price for shipping, you get lower-priority service. Sorry, amagab, but it appears that's their standard even without downsizing. Kinda makes you wish you had the option to drive townside and pick it up yourself, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  You are correct, good sir - I wasn't sure if USPS counted Saturdays as a "business day," and they do not. So it means the package arrived Honolulu Thursday morning, sat there Thu & Fri, and went out for delivery Monday. That does fit within their guidelines for Parcel Post; you pay a lower price for shipping, you get lower-priority service. Sorry, amagab, but it appears that's their standard even without downsizing. Kinda makes you wish you had the option to drive townside and pick it up yourself, yeah?
                  Sorry about the confusion, I should have wrote "2 to 8 business days" in my original reply.

As for the option to pickup, I think that is only available when three attempts to deliver have failed and then they leave a pickup slip.

I don't have any connections to the USPS but I honestly think they are one of the better govt agencies out there. If they could cherry pick their routes like UPS and FedEx does and they could reorganize their pension benefits, they are absolutely profitable. Unless one has some sort of discount hookup to UPS or FedEx, USPS pricing is always cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    Unless one has some sort of discount hookup to UPS or FedEx, USPS pricing is always cheaper.
                    I believe that anyone can set up a FedEx account (I don't know about UPS). For me, I use FedEx whenever possible if sending packages. I've yet to have a delivery problem with them, but I can provide a list of problems with USPS. My experience is that FedEx prices are less expensive than USPS (when considering shipping + insurance), except for the cheaper "slow boat" option that is available with USPS.

Oh, and it makes a difference with FedEx if you deal with them directly, or if you use a third party (like a mail-box-service-type-store). Adding in a third party cranks up the price.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

just a small example of the gross inadequacies of the USPS. . .and no, it(the downsizing) hasn't hit the 808 yet
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Even tho we grumble, there is nobody that can fullfill it's immense duties yet, by far. These screams heard for abolishing/privatizing it are insane, used often by those who wish to further marginalize citizens and the country for partisan political gains.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Why would it take 4 days to deliver a package? FAIL!!!
                          Why are equating a delay of a few days as a fail? To me a fail would be either they lost the package or the package arrived in a banged up shape (all of the insides is broken, pieces missing, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            I believe that anyone can set up a FedEx account (I don't know about UPS). For me, I use FedEx whenever possible if sending packages. I've yet to have a delivery problem with them, but I can provide a list of problems with USPS. My experience is that FedEx prices are less expensive than USPS (when considering shipping + insurance), except for the cheaper "slow boat" option that is available with USPS.

Oh, and it makes a difference with FedEx if you deal with them directly, or if you use a third party (like a mail-box-service-type-store). Adding in a third party cranks up the price.
                            Yes, I think anyone can set up a FedEx account but I think discounts only apply when you are shipping a certain level of packages monthly. I was able to get discounts at FedEx via my company's account when I was working there.

My reference to USPS in terms of pricing advantage is for the casual shipper. Actually, even with the USPS, one can get discounts as a business shipper.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              Yes, I think anyone can set up a FedEx account but I think discounts only apply when you are shipping a certain level of packages monthly.
                              You got me wondering, so I called FedEx. Everyone who has an account gets "some kind of a discount". That include people like me who just have a personal account, as well as those with a business account. I suppose those who ship a large volume get a much larger discount of course.

I think to set up an account I did it online, and they needed a charge card to tie into the account. And, it took a couple of days to process.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X