Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital media streaming set-top devices

As a continuation of my earlier observations,
    I purchased a sony smp100 and a western digital live plus and compared their
    performance and abilities.
    Each has an ethernet plug and usb ports.
    The western digital was able to read more video file formats.
    Although unadvertised as a capabilty, it was able to nicely display .flv files in many cases.
    These standalone video players are actually little computers.

Re: Digital media streaming set-top devices

I'd be curious as to how a WD stacks up against the Roku.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I'd be curious as to how a WD stacks up against the Roku.
      This online review does a nice job of comparing the Roku 2 SX and the WD TV Live.

Basically, if you want to view a lot of your own digital content, then the WD offers greater flexibility of formats. If you just want to stream online content, then the Roku offers more channels.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Howdy All
        Frankies comments are entirely correct.
        The Roku boxes are strong contenders. One must learn to use the tools at hand.
        The Boxee boxes are way overpriced.
        Typically a few of these devices are donated to Goodwill or other thrift shops
        where prices can be very low.

Comment

Target recently had a sale on Nikon L-105 cameras.The price was slashed
          to 99 dollars from 199.
          Almost all the stores sold out at once.
          The video file format is a modified quicktime wrapper.
          I tested the video from the camera on the western digital live plus
          and it played fine to the tv through the hdmi port.

Comment

Howdy,philips has just come out with a gadget called the HMP2000.
            It may offer more support for local video file formats than the other
            competing devices. The big problem with it is it only has hdmi output
            to tv.
            As soon as I get one I'll try some test video file formats and see how it does.

Comment

Target might dump kodak point and shoots due to bankruptcy.
              Keep an eye on the Nikon cameras too.
              There is some sort of inventory clearance going on.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                As a continuation of my earlier observations,
                I purchased a sony smp100 and a western digital live plus and compared their
                performance and abilities.
                Each has an ethernet plug and usb ports.
                The western digital was able to read more video file formats.
                Although unadvertised as a capabilty, it was able to nicely display .flv files in many cases.
                These standalone video players are actually little computers.
                I had the 1st generation WD model as well as the 2nd genration model (WD Live) the one before yours. And I have been very happy with it. It plays all my Korean Drama 720P files collection. Most are in mkv or avi format. But as you posted it plays all types of files. I have K-Pop music, MV's, Concert, Live Performances, variety shows and it plays all of them. I have over 10GB for K-Dramas in 720P.

Comment

I'm still waiting for a good set-top box. I've tried AppleTV, Roku, and Playstation and they all pretty much disappoint. So far, I've been using the Roku the most.

However, I think the XBOX might be a hot contender in the future as they are adding more and more features to it. Will be interesting to see it work with SkyDrive.
                  kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
                    I'm still waiting for a good set-top box. I've tried AppleTV, Roku, and Playstation and they all pretty much disappoint. So far, I've been using the Roku the most.

However, I think the XBOX might be a hot contender in the future as they are adding more and more features to it.
                    Be sure to read the fine print when it comes to streaming video on the Xbox 360. Whether it be watching subscription-fee services (i.e. Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLB.TV) or free channels (Crackle, ESPN3, YouTube), you're also required to pay Microsoft for Xbox Live Gold membership in order to view them on the Xbox. Last time I checked, it's $60 for 12 months. No such additional fee is required to view the same streaming services on the PS3 and Roku devices.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 9, 2012, 05:26 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yeah, I know, that part about XBOX sucks, which is why I don't use it yet. I'm willing to bet that it will change though so I'm keeping my eye on it and will give it a try if they abolish the fee.
                      kiddori

Comment

Yeah, I know, that part about XBOX sucks, which is why I don't use it yet. I'm willing to bet that it will change though so I'm keeping my eye on it and will give it a try if they abolish the fee.
                        Well, other people have also been waiting for MS to drop this annual fee...... for going on 3 years now.

Microsoft Won't Drop Xbox Live Gold Requirement For Netflix

The only way an Xbox Live Gold membership is worthwhile would be if you were already paying it to access the online games. But if you're not interesting in online gaming and you just want to stream videos, then the Live Gold fee is soooo not worth it.

Comment

Although I'm not interested in Netflix, that article was posted in 2009. A lot of things have happened at MS since then. Heck, just this year has brought tons of major changes to Microsoft. So I'm still hopeful for a good competitive and groundbreaking product.
                          kiddori

Comment

I have XBL Gold because I play a lot of online games anyway, so Netflix is no problem for me on the 360.

My Roku works smoothly...one of the best $60 investments ever, for me.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Although I'm not interested in Netflix, that article was posted in 2009.
                              That's EXACTLY my point. Nothing has changed over the last 3 years with regard to MS requiring Live Gold membership for its Xbox customer base, in order to stream video both free and premium video services.

A lot of things have happened at MS since then. Heck, just this year has brought tons of major changes to Microsoft. So I'm still hopeful for a good competitive and groundbreaking product.
                              Well, it's perfectly fine for you to be optimistic about MS policy suddenly changing, as far as dropping the Live Gold fees for people who want to access services like Netflix on their Xbox. I just wanted to inject a healthy dose of reality for everybody else before dropping their money on an Xbox, and end up being disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              X