Italian cruise ship sinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian cruise ship sinking

This is terrible. At least 6 people dead and others still missing after the Costa Concordia capsized off the coast of Giglio Island. As if that tragedy wasn't bad enough, Captain Francesco Schettino fled the ship and is now being criticized for negligence.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/16/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

On Sunday, Costa Cruises said in a statement there may have been "significant human error" on Schettino's part.
    Early nomination for understatement of the year?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Italian cruise ship sinking

It gets worse. The early reports seems to indicate that the captain deliberately departed the normal lanes so the head waiter could wave to his family. Link.

If true, charging the captain with manslaughter is justified.

Comment

Wrecks of this size are rare.the boat will probably be scrapped out on
      a large beach .
      Its likely that the survivors might get a coupon good for another trip.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        It gets worse. The early reports seems to indicate that the captain deliberately departed the normal lanes so the head waiter could wave to his family.
        I had a colleague who marveled that the disaster has yielded only a "handful" of casualties. (11 at last count). I had to remind him that just one person dying because of this needless tragedy is one too many.

I suppose the crushing culpability of the captain's recklessness is the reason why his perspective on the situation is so warped, as he continues to insist that his actions had "saved thousands of lives." Well, "saving" all those thousands of people wouldn't have been necessary in the first place, had you taken your job seriously in the first place, Cap! And seeing as how the Coast Guard has evidence revealing that he abandoned the Costa Concordia while many passengers had yet to be rescued, the coward shows himself to be delusional.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23706028/

Almost as bad were the despicable actions of Costa Cruises towards the survivors who asked the company for help. "Sue us if you want compensation," they were told. Despicable! A pox on this company.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...vors-told.html

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
        Wrecks of this size are rare.the boat will probably be scrapped out on
        a large beach .
        Seeing as how an environmental crisis looms should the ship's fuel and oil not be contained, I would say that concerns re: how the ship is scrapped are trivial at this point, when the welfare of marine life in the area is perilously threatened.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Almost as bad were the despicable actions of Costa Cruises towards the survivors who asked the company for help. "Sue us if you want compensation," they were told. Despicable! A pox on this company.
          A subsidiary of Carnival Cruses. Might be worth remembering come next vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            A subsidiary of Carnival Cruses. Might be worth remembering come next vacation.
            Or when following the company's earlier "suggestion." Always go after the deepest pockets.

Comment

LikaNui and other mariners might find this reconstruction video interesting.

Comment

LikaNui and other mariners might find this reconstruction video interesting.
                Thanks, GG. That's a 14-minute video, so I'll watch it a little later.
                About this cruise ship accident, I'd like to see the chart they were using (yes, I'm sure it was transferred onto computer, but). Many charts are decades old and haven't been updated, and many still have some pretty severe mistakes. I can confirm that from charts I used while cruising a sailboat down in South America (Cartagena, Colombia was a classic example).
                When this particular accident happened there was an early news story saying the chart was old but I've heard nothing more since then.
                Reefs are living things and are constantly growing, so it's easy for an old chart to be misleading. Kaneohe Bay is a great example. And some of the charts for the South Pacific are over a century old.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                X