Clear All

• Hawaiian Geology

Article on the HVO

www.nps.gov/havo/parknews/jan21adip.htm

Halemaumau Webcam

volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/KIcam/

Re: Hawaiian Geology

Taken from the article linked above.

"The public is also invited to attend an Open House of the observatory in celebration of HVO's centennial milestone.

"HVO is not ordinarily open to the public, so our Open House on Jan. 21 is a special opportunity for island residents and visitors to see how we monitor Hawaiian volcanoes and to interact with HVO scientists," said Kauahikaua."

I think it would be very interesting to go... but alas I'm on the wrong island.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Every Island is special and has it's own secrets to be found and maybe
      shared.
      The Northern Isles of Nihoa and beyond hold much mystery

Comment

One thing I wonder about is the abrupt change in the direction of the undersea islands northwest of Hawai'i. The direction of the islands runs pretty much west northwest for a couple of thousand miles then suddenly changes to northwest. What did that? Did something change the direction of the slide of the Pacific Plate? What could possibly do that? Or is it merely an optical illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          What did that?
          Interesting question. In scanning over the Wikipedia entry for the Hawaii hotspot, I see several references to the bend and to differing theories about it, but I didn't notice an explanation of just why it bent.
          Greg

Comment

Great thread.
            The Earth has two gigantic systems working at the same time.
            Below the surface is a large fluid mass that is hard to model or observe.
            On top, our world, is a small layer of solid material called rock.
            The interaction between this spinning mass of liquid and the crust makes Cray
            Computers overheat as modeling experiments proceed.
            The crust preserves signs of the mantle movetimes in a subtle cinematic fashion

Comment

The reason Hawai'i has shield volcanos is the greater heat from the deeper hot spot makes for more fluid lava, less subject to blockage of flow and explosions from pressure buildup like with strato volcanos. If I understand what happened at St. Helens correctly, the eruption which has been gradually filling the blasted out crater with new mountain is the same eruption that produced the pressure that blew the mountain apart in 1980. A friend who lived in Portland during that time said that there had been dense ground fogs for many weeks before the eruption, that day happened to be crystal clear, and thank God for it because we got those amazing photos and films of the eruption. Mt. Pelee (an interesting choice of names, yes?) on Martinique sputtered to life, it too had a blocked crater and when it burst it killed something like 35,000 on the island, one of the worst tragedies of the 20th century. Hawaiian volcanos seem very unlikely to explode in the Mt. Pelee or St. Helens style. There was a steam explosion at Kilauea in the early 20th century but the mountain itself did not explode.

Another question is why Haleakala had an eruption around 1790 yet Kohala is considered extinct and Mauna Kea hasn't erupted in (I think the estimate is) 15,000 years. The hot spot is feeding Loihi southeast of the Big Island. One writer said before Maui and the Big Island assume their final shapes both will be covered with new lava. Incredible. The whole area seems to have volcanic potential, except for Kaua'i. If Diamond Head is indeed only 40,000 years old its not impossible that O'ahu could have more activity, it probably will.

Comment

Haleakala has had at least a dozen large eruptions in the last thousand years.
                Some of these were no doubt seen by those living on Maui and portions of
                Hawaii.
                The rugged flows of the last Puu on Maui were favored as a province of the Kings
                of Hawaii because it looked like home.
                The more northern realms were held for awhile until the unfortunate incident
                at Wailuku.

Comment

The most eruptive period of Mauna Kea within recent times was maybe only about a few thousand
                  years ago.
                  Eight vents on the southern flank of the mountain.
                  They were between Kala i eha and Puu Kole

Comment

I see on Facebook from friends in Hawai'i (mainly on the Big Island) that there was a 5.0 quake near Fern Forest yesterday afternoon. Right near Pu'u O'o, so the quake could mean anything. Also the KITV page noted an 8.8 quake in Chile, no word at the time about whether there'd be a tsunami warning for Hawai'i and the rest of the Pacific. An 8.8 could sure do a tsunami. Please friends fill us in with the latest details, hope all goes well there, aloha.

Comment

The region around Humuula sheep station and the Hale Pohaku area is very mysterious.
                      One day some time ago I set off motoring along the Keanakolu trail.
                      After a fascinating excursion through the outer limits of road maintenance
                      I arrived at the ultimate mudhole. I could see the lights of Waimea twinkling
                      in the distance ,but mud being mud , that's as close as that expedition got.

the voyage back down was much trickier as it involved massive fogbanks and
                      numerous feral longhorned cattle.
                      A respect for the upper reaches of Mauna Kea ensued

i

Comment

It sounds like you might have some wonderful pictures and or experiences to share. If its not too much trouble I bet a lot of people would appreciate it.

I don't know if the state cabins at Pohakuloa are still available. We stayed there for a few days once quite a few years ago. It is an amazing place, right on the saddle between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. I loved the clean air there, it might be the best air on the planet, it energizes you. The landscape is incredible. I think about the early Hawaiians, they obviously explored the area, they obviously must have explored the peaks of the big mountains, what must they have thought. Truly a land of the gods.

Comment

So True.
                          The air up there is crystal clear.
                          The water source for the campground used to be six or seven springs well up
                          the Gulch.
                          The lake that feeds these springs is well worth a visit.

Comment

The most visited is Hopukani spring. It's near the top of Pohakuloa Gulch.
                            Nearby are several other named springs including one named for the
                            Goddess of the Mist.
                            Hualalai has another sister beating tapa when the lightning appears.

Comment

Kahou Pokane was the one of the sisters of Pele.
                              Her abode is the topmost regions of Hualalai.
                              At eight thousand feet , this mountain has many frosts and snows but only
                              a deft photographer would capture those cool scenes.
                              They happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X