Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Will You Vote for Honolulu Mayor 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Will You Vote for Honolulu Mayor 2012?

Things are really starting to turn ugly in the Mayor’s race, and it’s only March.

Gunshots fired at motorcycle shop that posted Cayetano banners

By Gordon Y.K. Pang

POSTED: 08:39 p.m. HST, Mar 17, 2012
    LAST UPDATED: 12:48 a.m. HST, Mar 18, 2012

Members of former Gov. Ben Cayetano’s mayoral campaign say it’s no coincidence that eight gunshots were fired at the upper level glass window of the Cycle City motorcycle shop right at or near three of their campaign banners in recent days.

[...]

Heen condemned the actions as an assault on the free speech rights of the business owner and said the campaign is putting up a $5,000 reward for information that might lead to the arrest of those responsible.

“I’ve seen some dirty tricks in my years, but this is about the lowest,” said Heen, a former judge and longtime Democratic stalwart. “This kind of activity has no place in Hawaii politics.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

These folks will be found to be living right next door.
      The usual appearance of evil is banal.
      They ain't slick
      Never trust a man who combs his hair with his own spit
      on a comb..

Comment

The latest Hawaii News Now poll shows Cayetano with 44% of the vote, followed by Carlisle (27%) and Caldwell (25%).

Cayetano's numbers have held steady since the last poll, when he also had 44%. I think this verifies what I initially posted in this thread: it's a one-issue election. The anti-rail voters are sticking to their guns. The pro-rail voters are deciding which pro-rail candidate will best serve, but it seems few are making the jump to Cayetano.

With a margin of error of 4.3%, it doesn't look like Cayetano has the numbers to take it all in the primary. I don't think it's a stretch to predict that whichever candidate would face him in the general would get most of the primary loser's vote.

I'm okay with Carlisle or Caldwell. But I did cast my ballot Monday, and it was for Carlisle.

And that was the only race I had a vote in, because there were no Libertarian candidates in any of the other races.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Both my wife and I 'absentee' voted yesterday (Friday 8/03) at Honolulu Hale,
          since we'll be off-island for the regular primary election.

No matter who you vote for... VOTE!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            I'm okay with Carlisle or Caldwell. But I did cast my ballot Monday, and it was for Carlisle.
            The fact that Cayetano is a viable candidate at all definitely demonstrates the divisiveness of the rail project, so much so that people are willing to be single-issue voters and willing to forget who Cayetano is.

If anything, he's probably giving some hope to Rene Mansho, Rod Tam, and other troubled politicians!

I'm voting Carlisle. I admit, I have a vested interest in seeing his transparency and open data initiatives continue (no question that if Cayetano gets in, every single service or website designed to make government information more public will vanish). And I like the fact that he's a terrible politician. Which is to say, if he has to adjust bus service to avoid more debt or veto popular (but messy) bills like the Kailua beach business ban, he'll do it... even in an election year.

He's blunt and honest, but I also think he's sharp and smart. He makes tough calls but he'll also trust his team to take the lead on things he's not qualified to manage.

I admit, though, I also know very little about Kirk Caldwell. He must have some appeal, but I don't see it. I think I have to be a union member to understand. He triggers about as much enthusiasm for me as Randall Iwase did against Lingle. A totally nice guy, I'm sure. But... eh.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              If anything, he's probably giving some hope to Rene Mansho, Rod Tam, and other troubled politicians!
              You would, even remotely, equate Mansho with Tam? Her misdeeds were slight and forgettable, no matter how regrettable. Tam is a habitual offender.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                You would, even remotely, equate Mansho with Tam? Her misdeeds were slight and forgettable, no matter how regrettable. Tam is a habitual offender.
                They committed the same crime.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

SBH Sunrise Breakfast by macprohawaii, on Flickr

Stop Rail Now.
                  Last edited by mel; August 5, 2012, 04:43 PM.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

HOORAY BeN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I'm voting Carlisle. I admit, I have a vested interest in seeing his transparency and open data initiatives continue (no question that if Cayetano gets in, every single service or website designed to make government information more public will vanish). And I like the fact that he's a terrible politician. Which is to say, if he has to adjust bus service to avoid more debt or veto popular (but messy) bills like the Kailua beach business ban, he'll do it... even in an election year.

He's blunt and honest, but I also think he's sharp and smart. He makes tough calls but he'll also trust his team to take the lead on things he's not qualified to manage.
                      Are you serious, pzarquon?! Knowing your background, I must admit I’m a bit shocked you would come to these conclusions. Mayor Peter Carlisle not knowing his own managing director unilaterally lifted the city’s debt ceiling is very unsettling to me. This isn’t “trusting his team to take the lead” as you so conveniently describe it, it’s just sheer incompetence!

Even if you think certain people on your team are capable leaders, you should still know what they are going to do before they do it. Would you trust your sports editor to do a controversial exposé on June Jones’ off-the-field shenanigans sight unseen, or would you make the effort to attend the editorial meeting and see whether the writer had both sides? Or if it could bring a potential libel suit?

You made a lot of charges against Cayetano. I was around when Ben was guv and I know it wasn’t a bed of roses. But remember — the state was going through tough times after former Gov. John Waihee’s lavish spending spree and Cayetano had to make some difficult decisions to balance the budget — which, as you know, is constitutionally mandated. As for the transparency part, what I do remember is that it was Ben Cayetano who helped “Save Our Star-Bulletin” accomplish their goal, however short-lived it was. I’m sure SPJ thanks him.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        You would, even remotely, equate Mansho with Tam? Her misdeeds were slight and forgettable, no matter how regrettable..
                        Sez you.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln04a.html

Mansho pleaded guilty to first-degree theft of stealing at least $20,000 in city money between April 1, 1989, and Dec. 31, 2000, and second-degree theft of stealing more than $300 of her campaign money from Jan. 1, 1994, to Aug. 31, 2000. She accepted a plea agreement and prosecutors agreed to not seek forgery, racketeering and money laundering charges against her.
                        A pre-sentencing report said Mansho took note of which companies received permit approvals from the council, apparently so she could request campaign contributions from them. When a corporation returned 12 fund-raiser tickets to her January 1997 event, Mansho wrote on the letter: "Do not assist them ... take off our list ... so selfish ... after all we did ... short memory."

In December 1999, when her secretary told her they had printed only 200 Christmas cards, Mansho responded that there was no need to send cards to "rubbish" people who didn't have clout, the report said.

The prosecutors' report also provided detailed examples of staff members' accounts of telling Mansho that campaign work on city time was wrong. They said she responded: "This is part of your job. If I don't get re-elected, you guys don't have jobs," "If the staff doesn't do this, who else is going to do it?" and "Stop being a ... bitch."
                        Councilman Steve Holmes said Mansho got off easy and should have been punished more for systematically looting campaign and taxpayer money for years.

"What Rene did was a lot worse than what Andy Mirikitani did, and he got four years in prison," Holmes said, referring to the former councilman who was sentenced in federal court to four years and three months in federal prison in December after being convicted of public corruption.

"She was involved in a much more serious line of campaign fraud, took trips and got the city to reimburse her, and forged checks," Holmes said.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm voting Carlisle. I admit, I have a vested interest in seeing his transparency and open data initiatives continue (no question that if Cayetano gets in, every single service or website designed to make government information more public will vanish).
                          It is quite possible the open data initiative could continue under a Cayetano administration since our friend Peter Kay is the web guy for http://voteben2012.com/....

Vote For Ben - Stop Rail Stop by macprohawaii, on Flickr
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                          X