Stop HB2288 & SB2530

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop HB2288 & SB2530

If passed, both bills would require Internet Service Providers to keep records of Internet history of all Hawaii residents.

Submit Testimony against HB2288.

Still tracking SB2530.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Re: Stop HB2288 & SB2530

CBS News has a story about this and about how horrible it is. Read the article at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

For Neenz to pop into HT and make this request...that means this issue is serious.

Comment

According to this Breaking News story, the bill has been tabled:

"State lawmakers have tabled a proposal that would have required Internet service providers to retain all Hawaii consumers' subscriber data and browsing histories for a minimum of two years.
        Introduced as a way to combat Internet-related crime, House Bill 2288 received support from Honolulu's police and prosecutor departments and one individual, but was otherwise greeted with vehement opposition at a hearing Thursday.
        Opponents of the legislation expressed concerns about privacy and the costs associated with storing such large volumes of data.
        Others told House members the sweeping Hawaii proposal made the widely-protested "Stop Online Piracy Act" and "Protect Intellectual Property/IP Act" before look mild by comparison.
        The House Economic Revitalization and Business Committee decided to hold off on state action to see what happens with online piracy legislation in Congress."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

While well-intentioned, I'm not sure as it's a good idea. Some providers might pull out rather then deal with one state's request.

Also, it's probably useless if the perp signs up with a proxy service. Or uses a VPN.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            CBS News has a story about this and about how horrible it is. Read the article at this link.
            *sigh!* Should have known that Kymberly Pine had a hand in this, in a gross over-reaction to her former web designer and now online nemesis Eric Ryan. But I'm surprised that she got these Democratic lawmakers to introduce this cockamamie piece of legislation.

You want this kind of stuff passed into law? Then what's next? A law that allows anyone to tap into your phone conversations at anytime w/o a court order?

The late Bob Rees liked to preface his interviews with younger local politicians as "Hawaii's best and brightest," but if he saw the kind of legislation being crafted by these folks, he might have stopped using that phrase so liberally.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X