Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

  1. #1

    Default A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    If the league can't give a better game than the poor stand-up comedy act that passed for NFL football then it should just pack it in. I think I saw 2 people actually give a bit of effort in today's game. It's nothing now, it was so good the 1st decade here, and now it's a total bad joke. Maybe knocking off the loser pay would spike it back up. Knowing you're walking away with at least 25K is no incentive to play.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    maybe putting it back to where it used to be played - the week AFTER the Super Bowl would help! We used to get players who had just been in the Super Bowl and back then it was a great game. Now, its for fun and a few $$$ for the players plus a vacation for their families. and of course, its just a marketing device for the NFL these days. Do I remember correctly that the Super Bowl used to be played the weekend after the playoffs were over?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    I've never been excited about an all-star game in any sport. No one ever plays defense, and the players always treat it as a vacation anyway.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    maybe putting it back to where it used to be played - the week AFTER the Super Bowl would help!

    We used to get players who had just been in the Super Bowl and back then it was a great game.

    Now, its for fun and a few $$$ for the players plus a vacation for their families. and of course, its just a marketing device for the NFL these days.

    Do I remember correctly that the Super Bowl used to be played the weekend after the playoffs were over?
    yup

    yup

    yup

    yup

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    No one ever plays defense, and the players always treat it as a vacation anyway.
    Yes! Thats part of what I love about ProBowl!! Its like a players reunion after the season, with a friendlier game for us to enjoy!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

  6. #6

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Yes! Thats part of what I love about ProBowl!! Its like a players reunion after the season, with a friendlier game for us to enjoy!
    That's why we have checkers, Monopoly, and mumblipeg. Football is football, and what they did today is disgraceful. If they don't up this game significantly they should down it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    That's why we have checkers, Monopoly, and mumblipeg. Football is football, and what they did today is disgraceful. If they don't up this game significantly they should down it.
    the players DO go through a pretty demanding season of practice, pressure, game day, media, community service, etc.

    the pro-bowl players kinda deserve some time to play around on the field and entertain the fans.

    If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy tickets. I watched what they did on the field for free from the comfort of my couch. If I want to see hard-hitting defense and circus catches, I'll pay and go see a regular season or playoff game.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  8. #8

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy tickets. I watched what they did on the field for free from the comfort of my couch. If I want to see hard-hitting defense and circus catches, I'll pay and go see a regular season or playoff game.
    X2.

    This is just Ron's annual rant about the Pro Bowl. Here's the 2011 edition.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  9. #9

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    the players DO go through a pretty demanding season of practice, pressure, game day, media, community service, etc. the pro-bowl players kinda deserve some time to play around on the field and entertain the fans. If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy tickets. I watched what they did on the field for free from the comfort of my couch. If I want to see hard-hitting defense and circus catches, I'll pay and go see a regular season or playoff game.
    I wasted an hour watching them do everything BUT entertain. I understand the crowd was booing in the 1st half it was so bad. In the '80s they had pride and fire, they put out... for themselves, at least in the 2nd half.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    X2.This is just Ron's annual rant about the Pro Bowl. Here's the 2011 edition.
    When they go as low as last Sun., there is no precedent.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    I wasted an hour watching them do everything BUT entertain. I understand the crowd was booing in the 1st half it was so bad. In the '80s they had pride and fire, they put out... for themselves, at least in the 2nd half.

    When they go as low as last Sun., there is no precedent.
    the NFL has also changed the rules since the '80s. No one wants to get injured (and no team owners wants their commodities to get injured) in a game where they stand to gain "peanuts" compared to their regular salary or risk missing the next season. Or ending their career like Robert Edwards
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Lightbulb Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I've never been excited about an all-star game in any sport.
    Amen to that! I never understood the concept. NFL Football is a team sport. The idea of individual matchups has already been encompassed in an entirely separate sport — “Fantasy Football.” Players from opposing teams playing together is like watching a United Nations conference.

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  12. #12

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    the NFL has also changed the rules since the '80s. No one wants to get injured (and no team owners wants their commodities to get injured) in a game where they stand to gain "peanuts" compared to their regular salary or risk missing the next season. Or ending their career like Robert Edwards
    All true, and why I doubt I'll bother with another PB again. Heck, I don't even recognize hardly any player names now. I may have watched 2 hrs. of NFL reg season in the last 4 years.

  13. #13

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    All true, and why I doubt I'll bother with another PB again.
    Is that a promise?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    There may have been one too many "yups" in that post. I can think of two years when the Super Bowl was played the week after the conference championships, and one of them I'm not sure of. In one of the strike-shortened seasons, I think they did that. And in 2002, when the regular season was put on hold after the World Trade Centers went down, I think they did that.

    I'm pretty sure that except for those exceptions, the Super Bowl has ALWAYS been two weeks after the conference title games, at least in the time of my football awareness (going back to Super Bowl XI). I know that in John Madden's autobiography, Madden says he gave the whole team off in the first week, then resumed the regular practice schedule for the week before the game. So at least since 1976, right?

    edit:
    I'm going with Ron on this one, but also with the others who say who cares about an all-star game. I actually like the baseball all-star game, and the NHL game is kind of fun for the casual fan who only watches a few games per year. The thrill of the Pro-Bowl, for most of us, is just to see some of our favorite players in a different context. The rules have always been relaxed (no blitzing, for example) in the Pro Bowl, but what I saw Sunday was ridiculous, and I sympathized with the fans who booed. If I'd paid to be there, I'd at least want to see the players play the game. What the linemen on both sides of the ball were doing equated to a seven-on-seven spring-training drill. The fans didn't pay to watch practice; they paid to watch a game. There's got to be a middle ground that doesn't threaten, beyond reason, the safety and health of the players. Ugh.
    Last edited by scrivener; January 31st, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  15. #15

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Is that a promise?
    My doubts are always assured.

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    There may have been one too many "yups" in that post. I can think of two years when the Super Bowl was played the week after the conference championships, and one of them I'm not sure of. In one of the strike-shortened seasons, I think they did that. And in 2002, when the regular season was put on hold after the World Trade Centers went down, I think they did that.
    I'm pretty sure that except for those exceptions, the Super Bowl has ALWAYS been two weeks after the conference title games, at least in the time of my football awareness (going back to Super Bowl XI). I know that in John Madden's autobiography, Madden says he gave the whole team off in the first week, then resumed the regular practice schedule for the week before the game. So at least since 1976, right?
    I'm going with Ron on this one, but also with the others who say who cares about an all-star game. I actually like the baseball all-star game, and the NHL game is kind of fun for the casual fan who only watches a few games per year. The thrill of the Pro-Bowl, for most of us, is just to see some of our favorite players in a different context. The rules have always been relaxed (no blitzing, for example) in the Pro Bowl, but what I saw Sunday was ridiculous, and I sympathized with the fans who booed. If I'd paid to be there, I'd at least want to see the players play the game. What the linemen on both sides of the ball were doing equated to a seven-on-seven spring-training drill. The fans didn't pay to watch practice; they paid to watch a game. There's got to be a middle ground that doesn't threaten, beyond reason, the safety and health of the players. Ugh.
    I think she was talking about the '80s, and I certainly was.

    I've been in more exciting and bruising flag football games.

    Really, I think eliminating or drastically lowering the loser's pay would change the action considerably.

    We used to get dramatic effort,
    intimidation, and even some spectacular fights in the '80s. Many of these guys came to Hawaii more to play than anything else. Game over if they don't make drastic changes.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    All true, and why I doubt I'll bother with another PB again. Heck, I don't even recognize hardly any player names now. I may have watched 2 hrs. of NFL reg season in the last 4 years.
    That could explain why you don't rrecognize any player names! 2 hrs does not a real football fan make.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

  17. #17

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    There may have been one too many "yups" in that post. I can think of two years when the Super Bowl was played the week after the conference championships, and one of them I'm not sure of. In one of the strike-shortened seasons, I think they did that. And in 2002, when the regular season was put on hold after the World Trade Centers went down, I think they did that.

    I'm pretty sure that except for those exceptions, the Super Bowl has ALWAYS been two weeks after the conference title games, at least in the time of my football awareness (going back to Super Bowl XI). I know that in John Madden's autobiography, Madden says he gave the whole team off in the first week, then resumed the regular practice schedule for the week before the game. So at least since 1976, right?
    Actually, going back to the very first Super Bowl, when the NFL and AFL title games were played on 1/1/67, and the world championship being played 2 weeks later on 1/15/67 at the LA Memorial Coliseum. The 2 week interim between the Super Bowl and the previous round of games was carried over through the NFL-AFL merger and continued on for many years, with the exception being Super Bowl XVII, which was played a mere week after the expanded playoff format necessitated by the 1982 strike-shortened regular season.

    But believe it or else, there were a couple of Super Bowls (XXIII and XXIV) that were played 3 weeks after the AFC-NFC championship games. The longer interim allowed the NFL and the media to generate more hype, but it resulted in SB games where the players looked noticeably rusty in the early going.

    Then came Super Bowl XXV, when the Big Game was played just one week after the conference games. But since then (with the lone exception of the post-9/11 Super Bowl XXXVI) it's been 2 weeks.

    Whew! Is that complete enough for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    edit:
    I'm going with Ron on this one, but also with the others who say who cares about an all-star game. I actually like the baseball all-star game, and the NHL game is kind of fun for the casual fan who only watches a few games per year.
    Speaking as someone who has been a diehard NY Rangers fan for over 30 years, I would say the NHL all-star game is probably an exhibition that is most dissimilar to the regular season/playoff counterpart out of all the major team sports. More so than the NFL. Fans go into the NHL game expecting to see a ridiculous 15-20 goals scored between the two teams. There's no body checking. (Anytime players get tangled up, it's just a result of incidental contact.) No attempt by teams to waive icing calls. Line substitutions are sometimes a fiasco. And defensemen won't even attempt to block shots with their bodies, leaving the goaltender to fend for himself when slapshots come his way. No, a casual fan should definitely not mistake the ASG played among NHL peers as a real hockey game. It's not even close.

    Ah, but put those same guys in uniforms representing their native country in a setting like the Olympics,..... now, you're talkin' business.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  18. #18

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    That could explain why you don't rrecognize any player names! 2 hrs does not a real football fan make.
    I still bleed LA Ram blue, please, don't even go there.

    The NFL doesn't interest me any more, they lost me, why should I know current names? I know the names of NFLers from UH and those who are worthy and in the HoF, and got at least a hundred of their signatures from the good ol' days.

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    What do we expect? Let's say the avg all star makes $4 mil per year. I think that's actually accurate. That's 400K per game. Why would they risk getting hurt for a 50K prize money? A delta of only 25K for winners vs losers???

    It's simple economics and smart on the players behalf.

  21. #21

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by 808shooter View Post
    What do we expect? Let's say the avg all star makes $4 mil per year. I think that's actually accurate. That's 400K per game. Why would they risk getting hurt for a 50K prize money? A delta of only 25K for winners vs losers??? It's simple economics and smart on the players behalf.
    And not worth half a cent to fans.

  22. #22

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    And with $4000 for a standard ticket price for the Super Bowl, the NFL can go to hell.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    So Roger Goodell was on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike this morning, and he said after the pathetic showing this year, he's contemplating suspending the Pro Bowl.

    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/N.../19341091.html
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  24. #24

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    So Roger Goodell was on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike this morning, and he said after the pathetic showing this year, he's contemplating suspending the Pro Bowl.
    Yeah right! With the millions that the NFL rakes in from the Pro Bowl event every year, only an idiot would literally believe the commissioner's statement about eliminating the game and walking away from all that money. I repeat: Anyone who takes this statement seriously is an unqualified I-D-I-O-T.

    Goodell is posturing, and the writer of this article astutely reads between the lines.

    Goodell indicated a change in venue could be in the works, rather than the lush tropical playground of Hawaii. He told the station he had discussed potential changes with NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith.

    “I know players love to be in Hawaii, but we have to start with the quality of what we’re doing,” Goodell said. “If the fans are responding negatively to what we’re doing, we (had) better listen.”
    Goodell was the commish who yanked the PB out of Hawaii a couple of years ago. And it sounds like he is contemplating this out loud again. It's no secret the players (and especially, their wives and families) want the game to be played here. But Goodell thinks the PB could generate more $$$$ if the game is played in other cities. So he floats the implication that Hawaii may not offer the ideal environment for the players to take the PB seriously.

    But really, Goodell is only fooling the idiots in the crowd. I mean,.... look at the policies the commish has put into place which engenders this circus atmosphere among the players. First of all, Goodell was the one who decided to play the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl, which automatically excludes all the SB participants from coming to Aloha Stadium. Thus, many of the players having elite seasons are absent from the Pro Bowl, which dilutes the idea that the game features the best of the best.

    Secondly, the league set up computers on the sidelines at the Pro Bowl which allowed players to tweet right on the field,.... something that would be simply not be tolerated during a regular season/playoff game. In fact, players are not even allowed to tweet up to 90 minutes after a real game. With the NFL setting up and encouraging the players to be distracted from what's going on during the game, who's kidding whom about Goodell being serious about the players needing to put on a better quality show for the Pro Bowl?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  25. #25

    Default Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

    I see it all so much more clearly now, the whole problem with the PB is... HAWAII.

    Or maybe Goodfor0 should be punted.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •