ESPN blunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN blunder

Could YOU get away being the one responsible for a blunder as stupid as this as part of your job, and not get fired?

ESPN blunder StarAdvertiser
    ESPN has apologized for using a racial slur in a headline for a story on Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin. ESPN ran the headline "Chink in the Armor" after Lin had nine turnovers in New York's loss to the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night on its mobile website that could be seen on phones and tablet computers. Lin is the NBA's first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent.
    Meanwhile, at the federal govt level, it seems about anything passes - I don't see that there has even been an apology from the department yet.

Feds luxury boat StarAdvertiser

A luxury undercover boat purchased with fines collected from fishermen was used by federal fishery police to visit dockside restaurants with friends and for high-speed "pleasure cruising," according to documents released Friday. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration bought the 35-foot boat for about $300,000, so its law enforcement officers could covertly monitor whether whale watch boats in Washington's Puget Sound were harassing the animals. But the documents indicate the boat was rarely used for official business. "It was a fishermen-funded party boat for bureaucrats," U.S. Sen. Scott Brown said on the Senate floor Friday.
    I should not read the paper on a Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Amati; February 18, 2012, 09:33 AM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: What??

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    I should not read the paper on a Saturday morning.
    Both of those stories are terrible, but honest truths of two types of abuses going on in America. Racial slurs are constant still in spoken, written, and broadcast situations.
    And then there's the abuses of money by 'public servants' within all levels of government. Just plain sucks for sure!

And addressing the quote above... we want to be informed but it sure is hard to find much 'good' in the news eh?!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: ESPN blunder

'Chink in the Armor' is not any way even close to a racial slur, despite it's 'leaving the door open' to nasty flies and other pests.

'Chink in the Armory!', now that would be a racial slur headliner!
      Last edited by salmoned; February 18, 2012, 01:35 PM.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        'Chink in the Armor' is not any way even close to a racial slur, despite it's 'leaving the door open' to nasty flies and other pests.

'Chink in the Armory!', now that would be a racial slur headliner!
        It would not be advisable to use any term in reference to a person towards which it could be construed as a slur.

Having said that, I don't think anyone should lose their job over this. Calling for someone's head over this incident would be an example of political correctness run amok.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Wording like that doesn't make it to air without many eyes/ears being aware. That it passed multi-muster to do so show's a low degree of civil morality and high stupidity at the network. But it's always good to shine a light on this kind of crap, sunlite kills germs.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The only crap here is the pretense of racial slur. Lin has been a short-term knight-in-shining-armor for his team and he had a 'bad' day. There's the chink - where's the slur? I'll tell you - in the minds of flies and other pests only.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

The only crap here is the pretense of racial slur. Lin has been a short-term knight-in-shining-armor for his team and he had a 'bad' day. There's the chink - where's the slur? I'll tell you - in the minds of flies and other pests only.
              That's why we luvya, sally.

Comment

'Chink in the Armor' is not any way even close to a racial slur
                The only crap here is the pretense of racial slur.
                Yeah, keep thinking those happy thoughts. It would be interesting to watch you toss that word around my neighborhood and see how happy you feel afterwards.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

ESPN employee responsible has been fired.
                  http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2012/02/...nt-and-action/

Turns out there was also a similar statement made on ESPN Radio, by a commentator.

Comment

ooooooo, sal's not going to like this.

Comment

While I have often heard the phrase "chink in the armor" (I'm a medieval history buff with interest in weapons and armors of knights) used, it can be construed as a racial slur, albeit accidental not premeditated, unless proven otherwise.

But then those incarcerated in prisons are not mostly hardened criminal but people who make bad mistakes or a bad choice. It is unfortunate someone has to be fired for this particular incident.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        ESPN employee responsible has been fired.
                        Ironically, the central figure in this whole tempest-in-a-teapot thinks this incident has been blown way out of proportion by those demanding for their pound of flesh.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=139636483

“I don’t think it was on purpose or whatever, but (at) the same time they have apologized. And so from my end I don’t care anymore,” Lin said after leading the Knicks to a 104-97 win over Dallas on Sunday. “Have to learn to forgive, and I don’t even think that was intentional. Or hopefully not.”
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Ironically, the central figure in this whole tempest-in-a-teapot thinks this incident has been blown way out of proportion by those demanding for their pound of flesh.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=139636483
                          The fired editor gives his side:
                          http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1025566

Comment

Lin is a class act; he sets a wonderful example.

Comment

More fallout/apology: http://gothamist.com/2012/02/22/chin...t_fired_es.php

Comment

Working...
                              X