Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN blunder

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Lin is a class act; he sets a wonderful example.
    True, Jeremy Lin showed grace. But also, possibly some business savvy.

ESPN is part of a large media conglomerate that also includes ABC and Disney, among others.

By readily accepting ESPN's mea culpa and not attempting to rake the sports network over the coals, Lin is making himself the kind of celebrity-athlete who would be very attractive to the entertainment and corporate community. Just think of what one company like ABC/Disney could do for him. Commercial endorsements. TV show/movie appearances. Maybe even an announcing gig after his playing career is over.

He did the exact opposite of what some other "aggrieved" athletes do. Associate themselves with a publicity-hungry civil rights leader and make the round of appearances on talk shows and cable TV news programs, just to vent and cry "foul!" against the offender. Lin would have had every right to take that course. But wisely, he refrained. And if you ask me, a lot of guys in sports could learn a thing or two from this Harvard grad.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      ESPN is part of a large media conglomerate that also includes ABC and Disney, among others.
      True, but to be more precise it's Disney that owns the conglomerate.
      That includes Disney owning ESPN and ABC, and they also own Pixar Animation, Touchstone Pictures, various cable networks (including A&E, the Lifetime networks, the History channel, the Biography channel, and many more), cruise ships, and of course numerous parks and resorts.
      And all of that is just the best known companies that Disney owns. There are several dozen more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        True, but to be more precise it's Disney that owns the conglomerate.
        That includes Disney owning ESPN and ABC, and they also own Pixar Animation, Touchstone Pictures, various cable networks (including A&E, the Lifetime networks, the History channel, the Biography channel, and many more), cruise ships, and of course numerous parks and resorts.
        And all of that is just the best known companies that Disney owns. There are several dozen more.
        Yes, LN. You are right on all counts. Though of course, this talk about Jeremy Lin having an association with Disney is purely speculative. I only used this particular conglemerate as an example of the possibilities that lie before the Knicks' point guard. I could have talked about Proctor & Gamble or General Electric instead. So a comprehensive, blow-by-blow description of the Disney empire was well beyond the scope of what I was talking about.

My point is that Lin's classy and graceful handling of ESPN's snafu bodes well for the variety of business opportunities that wait for him outside the basketball court.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Yes, LN. You are right on all counts.
          Yeah, that's a bad habit of mine.

I could have talked about Proctor & Gamble or General Electric instead. So a comprehensive, blow-by-blow description of the Disney empire was well beyond the scope of what I was talking about.
          It wasn't very "comprehensive," it was only a couple of sentences. And it was just because the use of Disney caught my eye since I did a lot of sailboat racing with Roy Disney.

My point is that Lin's classy and graceful handling of ESPN's snafu bodes well for the variety of business opportunities that wait for him outside the basketball court.
          I agree 100%. The way he's handled things for the past few weeks is very impressive.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
          X