American Idol, Season 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Idol, Season 11

Here's the start of a thread about the new season.
    There have been several of the audition shows so far. As usual, pretty much a waste to watch. However, I'm impressed with the quality of the singers who made it through the auditions. Overall, perhaps the best group ever. But there's nobody that immediately stood out, like Carrie Underwood and Adam Lambert did. That's why I was in no hurry to start this thread.
    Tonight's episode cuts the group down from 40 to the final 24, so it's time to start watching more closely.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: American Idol, Season 11

There's a guy named Deandre Brackensick in the finals. He was strongly influenced by Hawaiian music and Hawaiian family and he has a fabulous falsetto.
    I didn't see all of the singers in the cut from 40 to 24, but among the ones I did see and who really impressed me were a guy named Heejun Han and a 16-year-old girl from San Diego named Jessica Sanchez.
    The guys sing tonight and the girls sing tomorrow night. Both shows start the public voting, with the results announced Thursday night.

Comment

A little trivia...
      Deandre is the nephew of local singer, Starr Kalahiki. And, this was mentioned in a piece on KHON last week: "He's supposed to compete in this year's Merrie Monarch competition but his kumu says he should stick with Idol if he makes it far enough."

Such a handsome kid, too. Deandre is having a great 2012...so far! I'm wishing him the best.

Comment

Tonight it gets cut down from 25 to 13. The public votes will be announced for 5 males and 5 females, and each judge gets to keep one person.
        The guys all sang Tuesday night. The top 6 in my opinion and in this order are: Joshua Ledet, Deandre Brackensick (and Tutu is right, he's a really handsome kid!), Heejun Han, Creighton Fraker, Reed Grim, and Phillip Phillips.
        The females all sang Wednesday night and the top 6 in my opinion and in this order are Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine, Elise Testone, Shannon Magrane, Hallie Day, and Hollie Cavanaugh.
        By the way, the judges were amazingly ecstatic about Deandre on Monday night, and the girl Jessica Sanchez that I mentioned in my second post was the only singer of either sex who got a screaming standing ovation from the crowd AND from the judges.
        We'll see who stays tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          The guys all sang Tuesday night. The top 6 in my opinion and in this order are: Joshua Ledet, Deandre Brackensick (and Tutu is right, he's a really handsome kid!), Heejun Han, Creighton Fraker, Reed Grim, and Phillip Phillips.
          The females all sang Wednesday night and the top 6 in my opinion and in this order are Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine, Elise Testone, Shannon Magrane, Hallie Day, and Hollie Cavanaugh.
          (...)
          We'll see who stays tonight.
          Let's see if my guesses were good. If there's a strikethrough then they're out:

Joshua Ledet
          Deandre Brackensick
          Heejun Han
          Creighton Fraker
          Reed Grim
          Phillip Phillips

Jessica Sanchez
          Skylar Laine
          Elise Testone
          Shannon Magrane
          Hallie Day
          Hollie Cavanaugh

Not bad. I picked 9 out of 12.
          The Top 13 are on tinight. The guys sing Stevie Wonder and the girls sing Whitney Houston.

Comment

#1:Tonight there was no beating Jessica Sanchez, she nailed an impossibly difficult song.

To balance then with a guy, Phillip Phillips was able to rock through a Stevie Wonder song. Some of other guys seemed uncomfortable (it's hard to sing Stevie).
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I agree with Amati. Jessica was amazing. At this early stage of the competition my faves are Jessica, Skylar, Phillip and Deandre (aka Kamele!).

Comment

Tonight's results show will pick the male and female lowest votes from last night, then the three judges pick which one stays.
                Last night Jessica Sanchez was miles and miles ahead of anyone else, singing Whitney's toughest and most iconic song "I Will Always Love You." And just like last week, she was the only one who got a standing ovation from the audience and the judges. I'm glad I picked out Jessica earlier as one to watch, and after last night I'm pretty sure she'll win the season.
                Hollie Cavanagh did good, and I agree with TutuSue that Skylar Lane is another one to watch.
                Among the guys, I think Joshua Ledet won last night. I'm not as high on Phillip as Amati and Tutu are.
                So my guesses for the lowest votes are:
                Female -- Shannon Magrane, but maybe Elise Testone.
                Male -- Jeremy Rosado, but maybe Jermaine Jones or Heejun Han.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  So my guesses for the lowest votes are:
                  Female -- Shannon Magrane, but maybe Elise Testone.
                  Male -- Jeremy Rosado, but maybe Jermaine Jones or Heejun Han.
                  Maybe I'm psychic, but...
                  The lowest two females were indeed Shannon and Elise.
                  The lowest two males were indeed Jeremy and Jermaine.
                  The final lowest two were Elise and Jeremy.
                  Voted off was Jeremy.

On a side note, super producer Jimmy Iovine said that Jessica's performance last night was the single best performance he's ever seen on AI.

Comment

From before he ws on AI, here's a great video of Deandre Brackensick singing "I Kona."

Comment

Big shocker coming tomorrow night. One of the Final 12 is being kicked off the show, and it has nothing to do with this person's singing. It turns out they lied about their family background, lied about their criminal history, and there are current warrants out for this person's arrest.

Comment

The proverbial cat was let out of the bag earlier today!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          The proverbial cat was let out of the bag earlier today!
                          I know. But many people don't catch news as much as we do, and I didn't want to post a spoiler.
                          It'll be interesting to watch, since the contestant in question already knows they'll be booted off.

Comment

It's on the NY Times Arts Blog already.

DO NOT CLICK the link, if you do not want the spoiler!

Comment

Blah night, up until Joshua Ledet. He's gonna be the best tonight for sure (well, unless there is some surprise that comes in the last 15 minutes). A great song choice for his voice and power. When the judges say to "pick the right song", they know what they are talking about.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X