Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Season 11

Default American Idol, Season 11

Here's the start of a thread about the new season.
    There have been several of the audition shows so far. As usual, pretty much a waste to watch. However, I'm impressed with the quality of the singers who made it through the auditions. Overall, perhaps the best group ever. But there's nobody that immediately stood out, like Carrie Underwood and Adam Lambert did. That's why I was in no hurry to start this thread.
    Tonight's episode cuts the group down from 40 to the final 24, so it's time to start watching more closely.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Default Re: American Idol, Season 11

There's a guy named Deandre Brackensick in the finals. He was strongly influenced by Hawaiian music and Hawaiian family and he has a fabulous falsetto.
    I didn't see all of the singers in the cut from 40 to 24, but among the ones I did see and who really impressed me were a guy named Heejun Han and a 16-year-old girl from San Diego named Jessica Sanchez.
    The guys sing tonight and the girls sing tomorrow night. Both shows start the public voting, with the results announced Thursday night.

A little trivia...
    Deandre is the nephew of local singer, Starr Kalahiki. And, this was mentioned in a piece on KHON last week: "He's supposed to compete in this year's Merrie Monarch competition but his kumu says he should stick with Idol if he makes it far enough."

Such a handsome kid, too. Deandre is having a great 2012...so far! I'm wishing him the best.

Tonight it gets cut down from 25 to 13. The public votes will be announced for 5 males and 5 females, and each judge gets to keep one person.
    The guys all sang Tuesday night. The top 6 in my opinion and in this order are: Joshua Ledet, Deandre Brackensick (and Tutu is right, he's a really handsome kid!), Heejun Han, Creighton Fraker, Reed Grim, and Phillip Phillips.
    The females all sang Wednesday night and the top 6 in my opinion and in this order are Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine, Elise Testone, Shannon Magrane, Hallie Day, and Hollie Cavanaugh.
    By the way, the judges were amazingly ecstatic about Deandre on Monday night, and the girl Jessica Sanchez that I mentioned in my second post was the only singer of either sex who got a screaming standing ovation from the crowd AND from the judges.
    We'll see who stays tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    The guys all sang Tuesday night. The top 6 in my opinion and in this order are: Joshua Ledet, Deandre Brackensick (and Tutu is right, he's a really handsome kid!), Heejun Han, Creighton Fraker, Reed Grim, and Phillip Phillips.
    The females all sang Wednesday night and the top 6 in my opinion and in this order are Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine, Elise Testone, Shannon Magrane, Hallie Day, and Hollie Cavanaugh.
    (...)
    We'll see who stays tonight.
    Let's see if my guesses were good. If there's a strikethrough then they're out:

Joshua Ledet
    Deandre Brackensick
    Heejun Han
    Creighton Fraker
    Reed Grim
    Phillip Phillips

Jessica Sanchez
    Skylar Laine
    Elise Testone
    Shannon Magrane
    Hallie Day
    Hollie Cavanaugh

Not bad. I picked 9 out of 12.
    The Top 13 are on tinight. The guys sing Stevie Wonder and the girls sing Whitney Houston.

#1:Tonight there was no beating Jessica Sanchez, she nailed an impossibly difficult song.

To balance then with a guy, Phillip Phillips was able to rock through a Stevie Wonder song. Some of other guys seemed uncomfortable (it's hard to sing Stevie).
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

I agree with Amati. Jessica was amazing. At this early stage of the competition my faves are Jessica, Skylar, Phillip and Deandre (aka Kamele!).

Tonight's results show will pick the male and female lowest votes from last night, then the three judges pick which one stays.
    Last night Jessica Sanchez was miles and miles ahead of anyone else, singing Whitney's toughest and most iconic song "I Will Always Love You." And just like last week, she was the only one who got a standing ovation from the audience and the judges. I'm glad I picked out Jessica earlier as one to watch, and after last night I'm pretty sure she'll win the season.
    Hollie Cavanagh did good, and I agree with TutuSue that Skylar Lane is another one to watch.
    Among the guys, I think Joshua Ledet won last night. I'm not as high on Phillip as Amati and Tutu are.
    So my guesses for the lowest votes are:
    Female -- Shannon Magrane, but maybe Elise Testone.
    Male -- Jeremy Rosado, but maybe Jermaine Jones or Heejun Han.

So my guesses for the lowest votes are:
    Female -- Shannon Magrane, but maybe Elise Testone.
    Male -- Jeremy Rosado, but maybe Jermaine Jones or Heejun Han.
    Maybe I'm psychic, but...
    The lowest two females were indeed Shannon and Elise.
    The lowest two males were indeed Jeremy and Jermaine.
    The final lowest two were Elise and Jeremy.
    Voted off was Jeremy.

On a side note, super producer Jimmy Iovine said that Jessica's performance last night was the single best performance he's ever seen on AI.

From before he ws on AI, here's a great video of Deandre Brackensick singing "I Kona."

Big shocker coming tomorrow night. One of the Final 12 is being kicked off the show, and it has nothing to do with this person's singing. It turns out they lied about their family background, lied about their criminal history, and there are current warrants out for this person's arrest.

The proverbial cat was let out of the bag earlier today!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    The proverbial cat was let out of the bag earlier today!
    I know. But many people don't catch news as much as we do, and I didn't want to post a spoiler.
    It'll be interesting to watch, since the contestant in question already knows they'll be booted off.

It's on the NY Times Arts Blog already.

DO NOT CLICK the link, if you do not want the spoiler!

Blah night, up until Joshua Ledet. He's gonna be the best tonight for sure (well, unless there is some surprise that comes in the last 15 minutes). A great song choice for his voice and power. When the judges say to "pick the right song", they know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    Blah night, up until Joshua Ledet. [...]
    As will.i.am and Randy said...that was "dope"!

Yep, Joshua definitely stole the night. The judges gave him a standing ovation when he was only halfway through the song.
    Jessica was great again, and Colton, Hollie, and Deandre were very good.
    Shannon was second-worst, but Heejun was very pitchy and will likely get voted off tonight. (That's if they actually vote someone off. Perhaps Jermaine being kicked off this week will save the other 11 until next week.)

Shannon was second-worst, but Heejun was very pitchy and will likely get voted off tonight.
    Just for the record here, Shannon was the one voted off. She'd been in the bottom two for two weeks in a row.
    I hope Deandre continues to do well, but I still see Joshua and Jessica as being the final two. It'll be interesting to see how all three of them grow over the next weeks.

I was surprised at the song choices made ... Billy Joel seems to work a magic on his own songs that other singers just don't easily bring to his songs.

Tonight was another of saving the best for the last: Jessica Sanchez, and Colton Dixon (who was smart to use Billy-Joel-style-piano-playing, it worked!).

I agree with Amati 100%.
    Colton was terrific, and Jessica was beyond terrific. Every week she inches farther ahead of all the rest, and once again she got a standing ovation from the judges.
    The Billy Joel songs that Joshua and Deandre chose didn't showcase their skills and range. Bummer.
    Tricky to say who's at risk tonight. I'd say Skylar and Hollie and perhaps even Deandre, but then again Heejun might be at risk because he emphasized humor over singing.

Tricky to say who's at risk tonight. I'd say Skylar and Hollie and perhaps even Deandre, but then again Heejun might be at risk because he emphasized humor over singing.
    Deandre and Heejun were indeed in the bottom 3, but the third one was Erika.
    Deandre was the first one safe, and the one voted out was Erika.

Interesting that when the Top 13 were picked, each judge got to pick one. So far J-Lo's pick and Randy's pick have now been voted off and only Steven's pick remains -- Deandre.

I hope that Tommy Hilfiger fashion thing was a one-time deal and we don't have to see that waste of time again.

A very good show last night, and hard to say who might go tonight. Maybe Skylar or Elise?
    Jennifer Sanchez totally won the night (again). Deandre and Heejun both did very well, and Colton did too.
    Last year's winner Scotty McCreery is on the results show tonight. (wave to Panther)

A very good show last night, and hard to say who might go tonight. Maybe Skylar or Elise?
    Skylar was in the Bottom 3, as were Hollie and Heejun. Skylar was the first one safe, and Heejun was booted out.
    I think he just didn't show enough good stage presence.

Elise was incredible Wed. night. I would've been shocked to see her in the bottom 3. I was a bit surprised to see that lil, rockin' Reba, Skylar, in the bottom 3 but would've been more surprised had it been Elise. Heejun sounded great, too, but he's just not the total package.

Yeah, they're at the point now where the "total package" is what will get them through. It used to be easy to tell, when you saw dollar signs dancing in Simon Cowell's eyes.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast