Davy Jones of The Monkees: R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Davy Jones of The Monkees: R.I.P.

Rolling Stone has had a number of online features about The Monkees since Jones' death. Here is an interview with Nesmith, with his memories of Jones.

And here is a recent readers' survey of the top ten Monkees songs, with videos of each. I was pleasantly surprised at a couple of the selections on the list, which was as follows:
    10. 'A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You'
    9. 'Listen to the Band'
    8. 'She'
    7. 'Valleri'
    6. 'Porpoise Song'
    5. '(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone'
    4. 'Pleasant Valley Sunday'
    3. 'Last Train to Clarksville'
    2. 'I'm a Believer'
    1. 'Daydream Believer'

While this is the tale of country music journalist Alanna Nash's "date" with Jones, when she was 17.

The magazine also reports: Micky Dolenz and the other surviving members of the Monkees will not attend Davy Jones' funeral out of respect to the singer's family. "My understanding is they want to avoid a media circus and the family wants to keep it very, very low-key and very, very private," Dolenz told Billboard. "You can imagine as soon as one or two or any of us were to show up, it would very quickly be degraded into something that I don't think his immediate family would want to deal with," he said. "So I'm kind of [respecting] their wishes, whatever their wishes may be." Instead, Dolenz, Peter Tork and Mike Nesmith are planning to take part in a series of public memorials for Jones in New York and England, though no dates have been set. "It's pretty early days, you know, to be making too many plans," says Dolenz. "I'm still in shock."

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Here's a photo of the Monkeemobile (built by George Barris, of course)
      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      There were two cars built for the show; Dean Jeffries built them both, and Barris bought one of them later and did major restoration on it - but he did not build the originals.
      I have seen information that states Jeffries styled the cars, but Barris built them. Might be a matter of semantics, but accuracy is important to me, to the point where I must admit I was wrong and LikaNui's post was correct. Sorry about that.

Comment

Dean is 'responsible' for The Green Hornet's 'Black Beauty'. Earned his early bones as one of the future iconic '50s So. Cal pinstripers, car painters, and caricature artists, along with Von Dutch, Ed Roth, Mouse, Larry Watson, et al. http://books.google.com/books?id=szk...beauty&f=false = http://books.google.com/books?id=0Tb...0mouse&f=false
        These were some of the guys I grew up around.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
        X