Boycott Rush petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: boycott-rush petition

Petitioning is a matter of instigating attention, education, and involvement, just as much as proving mass demand on a subject. It helps garner what you mentioned.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

A couple of comments:

1) Just as it was with Dr. Laura, this is not a freedom of speech issue. The constitution allows Rush to say whatever he wants. But it does not obligate anyone from having to sponsor his show. Any company that airs commercial spots during his program, in effect, finances Rush's nationwide platform. Being associated with Rush's vile sentiments towards Sandra Fluke is bad for business. Plain and simple.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      By framing an argument as all-or-nothing "those who are not with us are against us," aren't we using the same dichotomous propaganda methods as those we're supposedly trying to disagree with? I might disagree 100% with what Limabaugh is saying, but I can support his right to say what he wants without supporting his message in any way. The fact that I refuse to put my name on a piece of paper telling him he's an idiot in no way implies that I don't think he's an idiot.
      2) Your points here are well taken, Scriv.

Kind of reminds me of the story of Robespierre. Like the man who had become an even worse tyrant than the one he overthrew, those who take an extremist position against others for having an intolerant attitude are often the last ones to recognize how far they themselves have fallen down the same slippery slope.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I liked the fairness doctrine. That kept station owners from loading the public airwaves with all one opinion. Radio was a lot more interesting and a lot more popular then. While its true that programming for right wing listeners draws in right wing listeners it alienates everybody else--why would I, a lefty, ever listen to AM where all I ever hear is me and people like Franklin Roosevelt and John Kennedy and Harry Truman and Bill Clinton likened to Satan. Combine the end of the fairness doctrine with turning the radio industry over to monopolists, who could only make their numbers work by eliminating the key ingredients that made radio interesting (immediacy, local interest, etc) and you have an industry that has become a mouthpiece for and only for the Republican Party. So every station that goes out of business is a step in the right direction, every station that drops English and starts streaming some LA iglesia or something from Seoul or Mexico City is a step in the right direction. Having just one point of view broadcast in Germany under Goebbels and in the former USSR didn't work out for them and it isn't working out here, either. Its a self limiting disease, they are eliminating their customer base. Fine with me.

Comment

42 sponsers at last count have yanked their advertising, and now the slime might be wiped off a support monolith; http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...orces-network/

Comment

Ron, you're getting so excited about sponsors pulling their ads but how many of those sponsors have actually CANCELLED their ad contracts? Thats what really counts. Pulling their ads right now and then quietly starting up again in a few months when all the furor has died down doesn't really make any difference now does it?
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Nothing this big happens overnite, and as I stated previously, some will temporarily/cosmetically do the right thing and then stealthfully return to the nasty fold, it's typical business as usual for many. But this time it might be different, with so many ending the relationship el piggo is cornered, and his kind can't keep from squealing louder and louder. The hotter the flames, the more the bacon sizzles, and his damage control now will be to say even more damaging crap, he can't help himself. He's so full of himself he going to bust if the pressure continues to mount. And if nothing else, it'll take him off message and make him look stupid even in the loving eyes of his denialist crazies for a long time. How delicious that nothing good will come from this mess he's created, it's all bad for him, and may be his waterloo.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                [...] Pulling their ads right now and then quietly starting up again in a few months when all the furor has died down doesn't really make any difference now does it?
                Exactly! My concern is that there's been some kind of agreement made with the initial advertisers who pulled out that if Limbaugh apologizes, no matter how disingenuous it is, the advertisers will return after a pre-determined cool down period. And, possibly, that same agreement is being offered to other advertisers...maybe even with reduced advertising rates for a pre-determined amount of time. Just thinking out loud...

Comment

oooooooo, right wing conspiracy theories including corporate intrigue, getting juicier by the moment!

Comment

As long as Rush has ratings, he can get sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Just thinking out loud...
                      Tutu, speaking of thinking out loud, whatever happened to Margaret and her sidekick on youtube?
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Tutu, speaking of thinking out loud, whatever happened to Margaret and her sidekick on youtube?
                        Margaret and Helen are still alive and well in their blog! The headline from Helen's latest entry reads:
                        "Rush saw his shadow today. Six more weeks of stupidity…"

That blog is a must-read!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          Ron, you're getting so excited about sponsors pulling their ads but how many of those sponsors have actually CANCELLED their ad contracts? Thats what really counts. Pulling their ads right now and then quietly starting up again in a few months when all the furor has died down doesn't really make any difference now does it?
                          Exactly! My concern is that there's been some kind of agreement made with the initial advertisers who pulled out that if Limbaugh apologizes, no matter how disingenuous it is, the advertisers will return after a pre-determined cool down period. And, possibly, that same agreement is being offered to other advertisers...maybe even with reduced advertising rates for a pre-determined amount of time. Just thinking out loud...
                          Bingo. We are talking corporate America, after all. The sponsors will do what they think has the more positive effect on their bottom line, not whatever we might think is "the right thing" to do.

Comment

"Rush saw his shadow today. Six more weeks of stupidity…"
                            rush pulled his head out of his hole?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              As long as Rush has ratings, he can get sponsors.
                              Ah, but in the ad world, it's not just about how high a program's ratings are. Sponsors are just as much (if not more so) concerned with the audience demographics. After all, what good does it do for advertisers to purchase commercial time to a show that has a large audience, but are primarily made up of folks who are not receptive to the ads. This is why so many terrestrial radio stations that once played 1950s oldies had to change formats, even if they had good ratings. The problem was that sponsors wanted to concentrate their marketing dollars on stations that attracted a younger audience, as that group had more disposable income and were more open-minded towards trying out new products.

Over the years, Rush has offended Blacks, Asians, and this time, women. You don't think ad execs are aware that females control 80% of household spending in this country? Every time he puts his foot in his mouth, his audience demographics narrow, with a core that is heavily concentrated on older male WASPs. So Rush's ratings would be of reduced value to companies that want to reach out to a more diverse audience.

One other thing to point out: To the older generation, the word "boycott" might trigger images of an organized group picketing and marching. But to younger folks, it means using social networking tools to pressure companies and to urge family and friends to take whatever actions are appropriate. Better believe that social networking campaigns have played a big role in the speed at which so many sponsors have suddenly pulled out it's support for Rush's show.

With all that said, I don't know what the long-term outlook is for how much longer Rush's show will continue. But with a narrower audience demographic, me thinks that this will eventually hit Rush in the pocketbook.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Boycott Rush petition

The bye bye count is now over 50.
                                One of rush's biggest advertising buyers, eHarmony, has said they're out, forever, and AOL is out as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X