Seeking the person who recommended Kualoa Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking the person who recommended Kualoa Ranch

Intending to visit there which would mean an early start from Mokuleia Beach area and wondering if there is a "best" driving route?
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Seeking the person who recommended Kualoa Ranch

I would go through Haleiwa and continue on Kamehemeha Hwy. to Kualoa Ranch.

Comment

I 2nd D'Alani.

Comment

If that is the one that goes around as opposed to having me go nearly all the way into Honolulu and then crossing back over and thru Pali as google earth directions gave me, then sounds mo betta!
        Mahalo!

Comment

Yep! North Shore and down the windward side. Ignore Google!!!

Comment

Especially when I wanna see it all in the short time I have planned. With unlimited miles on the rental, the worst expense in driving back and forth numerous times for the various activities will be gas cost but waaaa! I'll be on the island for the third time in my life!
            Did you survive the hail storm and other weather of late ok? Hail is a frequent event here especially if a tornado is nearby, lol, but the article made it seem quite scary for most Hawaiian's.

Comment

Please, please, please take a picture for me of our old Mokuleia homestead....it used to be called 'Mokuleia Stables' and maybe the sign is still there...it's the (probably derelict and overgrown) property just before you turn into the road (mauka side) that goes into the Dillingham Airstrip...if you are coming from Waialua, you pass the Polo Farm and the Beach Colony on your right, then go maybe another half a mile til the entrance to the airstrip...back up a few yards before the turn and look to your left...there was an old railway 'X' with the name of the place, and a driveway...if you can see through the bushes and Kiawe, there's several ironwood pines and a coconut tree at the end of what was the drive, about halfway in. And a Banyan tree to the right of the coconut tree.

I'd love a picture.

PS Follow the beach road, it's much more interesting than driving all the way back to town and around.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

We'll be camping at Camp Mokuleia either right in front of or to the right of the airstrip where we will be skydiving as well.
                I'll copy and past your homestead directions to something I can get to offline and do my best to find it for you Susie.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                  We'll be camping at Camp Mokuleia either right in front of or to the right of the airstrip where we will be skydiving as well.
                  I'll copy and past your homestead directions to something I can get to offline and do my best to find it for you Susie.
                  Ow, wow! There is a camp almost in front of our old place...right at the base of the reef that goes almost all the way over to the Beach Colony (you can walk quite a lot of the way over at low tide). I don't remember the name....Erdman comes to mind, but I'm not sure. I think it used to be a church camp, but I'm not sure about that, either. Wait...was Erdman the one a few miles further down the road? (the memory is going with age)

Just down maybe three or four houses, across from the Dillingham entrance, is (or was, then) an empty lot with what I think was an ironwood pine on the beach side, and a little Japanese temple under the tree. Someone used to leave fruit and beer and cover the Buddah with little brightly colored robe things. And light candles. I was never sure id it was for someone that had died there on the beach, or if it was for good luck when fishing....what did I know as a young Haole kid? Maybe it's still there, and you might find it on a walk.

I wish I could be there, too. But just knowing that someone is going to be right there and will be thinking about my post is going to have to be good enough...and giving me chicken skin goosebumps.

ps Listen carefully with your ears towards the mountains during the evenings...sometimes you can hear the screech of the peacocks that live up on the top where it looks to be flat and grassy.

And if you want a good hike, there is one that goes behind the airstrip to an older airstrip and to an old WW2 bunker, with a zigzag trail that probably goes all the way up to the peacock flats area. I never went all the way up as a kid, so I'm not sure.

Another good hike is the one that goes all the up the naked ridges to the telescope bubble. If that's too much, there's always the windy little road (paved). Watch out for wild pigs and curious cows.
                  Last edited by SusieMisajon; March 12, 2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I've tried for several years to find someone I could trust and them me to pick out and mail me some T shirts from Aloha Marketplace (International) and you would think I had asked for the moon so I've given up and will go get them myself, lol, plus show my boys the love of my life, the island of Oahu.
                    The camp we will be at is right next to the airstrip and is church camp.
                    Obviously tho, we will be the easiest spotted by the shark bait white skin being that we are red haired. Actually, lobster red will take the place of white by the end up our first full day I am sure (despite sunscreen galore).

Comment

Aloha Susie...Long time no hear....be glad to find you some pics. I know exactly where you are talking about. The area has changed a lot but it's still beautiful if you know and how to avoid all the traffic.

Comment

Traffic?! In Mokuleia?

I want to thank everybody in here for even thinking about me as they pass by the old place. So many memories of a wonderful smallkeed time. This thread has taken me back there in my mind and my heart.

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh.........I'm now back to my land of flat and crappy

Suzie, I have numerous pictures of all the area you described and is hopefully what you needed and will recognize and I will post them as soon as I get the cord I had to order that powers my camcorder I shot them on. Panasonic wasn't too smart to put the power cord behind where the battery sits which is where the plug in's go to transfer pics to computer which you can't do without either battery in (impossible) or a power cord (which it didn't come with when I bought it off a neighbor a couple of years ago (stolen I wouldn't doubt, lol).

Being back and scouring thru the whole island was sooooo cool!! I know people that live there day to day probably tire of the same old scenes and I guess if I was honest, I could admit I might as well but I sure don't see how!!
                          The camping out at Mokulea was awesome except for the KOA seeds (?) that covered the ground and trashed our body from thru the sleeping bags even. My son's came to calling them the devil's children, lol!! By the 4th night, one stayed in the rental and the other and myself tried out the picnic tables which weren't much better. But hearing the ocean waves all night was saaaweeet!!!

Comment

Comment

Suzie, this first one was a test shot to see if I could get them to show up directly here. It did so here are the rest. Anything you recognize???

Comment

Working...
                              X