Annoying Storm Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Storm Warnings

Getting really annoyed by all the cutting into the audio on TV with all these flood watches, warnings and storm warnings. I get it. It is raining, ALOT! Get the EFF off my TV, I have windows. I see it may flood. Then we get the warning not to drive through deep water. I think if you're that stupid some mechanical synthesized speech on TV warning isn't going to help. Go meet Mr. Darwin if you insist on entering your car in the Regatta.

Today they cut into the Final Jeopardy and I had to find the answer on google.

DIE GUY HAGI! DIE!

Okay, I feel better now.

(No Hagis were harmed in the making of this message.)
    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Re: Annoying Storm Warnings

I don't know why you are blaming Guy Hagi for, he just reports the weather for Hawaii News Now (KHNL, KFVE and KGMB), he is not making the weather nor is in control of those storm warnings that are controlled by either Civil Defense (my first guess) or the National Weather Service (2nd guess), which would appear on the other channels as well that Guy Hagi doesn't report for.

Comment

I agree they're annoying but if they save even one life they're worth it. So my suggestion is to beep the two emergency alert signals then put the info into closed captioning across the bottom of the screen and leave the audio up on whatever program is on.
      And I really hate that mechanical voice!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I think it was Sunday night during The Good Wife when one such warning turned off the volume, had the automated voice and when it was over kept the volume off for a few minutes longer.

I think the reason for the automated voice might be for blind, those who keep the TV on for background noise, or might be temporary away from viewing the TV at the moment.

Comment

The warnings are annoying for sure.
          Understand why they are there, but a better way to announce would be through the almost always same time commercials period.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            I think it was Sunday night during The Good Wife when one such warning turned off the volume, had the automated voice and when it was over kept the volume off for a few minutes longer.

I think the reason for the automated voice might be for blind, those who keep the TV on for background noise, or might be temporary away from viewing the TV at the moment.
            The same thing happened again tonight during the beginning of The Mentalist. The sound remained squelched for several minutes after the warning message was pau. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that...
            No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
              DIE GUY HAGI! DIE!
              Hagi has da powa to make it rain!

Comment

Fritz - what are you, about 12? So sorry you are inconvenienced by the storm warnings that are meant as public SAFETY aids, and to keep us informed. as for blaming Guy Hagi, thats just stupid! The warnings have nothing to do with him. Shame on you for your very childish and selfish statements.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The "duck farts" in the audio is what triggers any automated system that happens to be listening to the channel.

The weather alerts are sent by the National Weather Service, but depending on what you have, they may be echoed by Department of Emergency managements (formerly Oahu Civil Defence).

I too have been frustrated by the number of alerts that came out of this last event. I hardly got any sleep with the weather radio going off. Most of the time times it seems the only purpose of the alert was to extend a prior alert. I didn't seem to give any new information.

One thing I found interesting is that KSSK didn't seem to forward the Sever Thunderstorm Warnings. That's the one that warned about hail. Since I believe they're the LP-1 for EAS (meaning that other stations monitor them for that signal), that seems significant.

Comment

Really, if you can't tell the Hagi remark was merely making sport you are extremely clueless and gullible. A little Hagi weather report pre-empted the first 5 minutes of Jeopardy two days in a row. Never saw such a brew-haha over a rainy day.

And as for the,"if it saves one life", school of thought;I have one for you.

Helmets required for pedestrians. Leave your house, helmet on or pay a fine. Because,if it saves one life it is worth it. IF IT SAVES ONE LIFE!!!!! IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!

20 mph National speed limit! That would save many lives. Worth it?
                    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

You didn't mention anything in the original post about Guy Hagi doing a weather report that preempted whatever programing you was watching at the time.

Comment

Fritz - your remark, which could be construed as threatening, was directed at a public figure. Hagi is merely a TV weatherman, but he is a public figure. As such, that remark could be considered as "terroristic threatening". Not my concern of course - I was merely pointing out that your choice of words was a bit childish. No note of sarcasm was detected in your original posting nor did I search for one. I tend to take what people write at face value, as you should take my words. and, I have a habit of not continuing these type of discussions - I said what I had to say in my original posting. Since you have been lurking here on HT for a few years now, you should be well aware of that.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          The warnings are annoying for sure.
                          Understand why they are there, but a better way to announce would be through the almost always same time commercials period.
                          In an ideal world, MM,.....

But in the real world we live in, emergencies and weather conditions aren't so "cooperative." When a tsunami alert is triggered, people in at-risk areas will need every minute of advance warning time to prepare themselves. Holding off on sounding an alert for 5 minutes just to get to commercial time may not seem like a big deal to you, but it can make a heckuva lot of difference to the people who are directly affected.

And is waiting for "commercial time" even practical, seeing as how there are literally dozens and dozens of channels running on a typical cable/satellite system, all running commercials at different times.

Just the fact that the merits of the Emergency Alert System are being debated in this forum,.... man, where have our priorities gone to?
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Just the fact that the merits of the Emergency Alert System are being debated in this forum,.... man, where have our priorities gone to?
                            My issue was with the number of alerts that carried NO additional information, just an extension of a prior alert.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              So my suggestion is to beep the two emergency alert signals then put the info into closed captioning across the bottom of the screen and leave the audio up on whatever program is on.
                              The problem is the crawl message is just the limited information from the digital signal. It tells you what kind of alert and what areas are affected. ("Flash Flood Warning for the island of Oahu") The "voice" gives specific information from the forecasters. The EAS standards doesn't have the flexibility of doing what you suggest. They'd have to set up an auxiliary system to retrieve the text some other way.

Comment

Working...
                              X