Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annoying Storm Warnings

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    My issue was with the number of alerts that carried NO additional information, just an extension of a prior alert.
    Repeated warnings are for the benefit of those who did not catch the earlier alerts. Not everyone is tuned into a radio/TV when the earlier warnings were given.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 12, 2012, 02:45 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      No note of sarcasm was detected in your original posting nor did I search for one.
      I thought that Fritz concluding his initial post, with:

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
      (No Hagis were harmed in the making of this message.)
      sorta let the cat out of the bag that his sentiments about Guy Hagi dying was tongue-in-cheek.

Not that anything Fritz wrote in this thread comes off as being funny or witty.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 12, 2012, 03:26 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Repeated warnings are for the benefit of those who did not catch the earlier alerts. Not everyone is tuned into a radio/TV when the earlier warnings were given.
        I don't think that's part of the NWS's standard operating procedure. If it is, it's a change. And doing so only creates a situation of crying "wolf" for those who weren't terribly affected by the storm.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          I don't think that's part of the NWS's standard operating procedure. If it is, it's a change. And doing so only creates a situation of crying "wolf" for those who weren't terribly affected by the storm.
          Gecko, your strained logic astounds me. If your attitude prevails, then there would be no tsunami alerts in Hawaii, since no one here has died from one since Hilo in 1960. Since no one has lost their life in every tsunami alert for the last 50 years, then the Tsunami Warning Center here has been doing nothing but "crying wolf" all this time, right? Riiight!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Gecko, your strained logic astounds me. If your attitude prevails, then there would be no tsunami alerts in Hawaii, since no one here has died from one since Hilo in 1960. Since no one has lost their life in every tsunami alert for the last 50 years, then the Tsunami Warning Center here has been doing nothing but "crying wolf" all this time, right? Riiight!
            FM you are absolutely correct. The idea here is inform people and, hopefully, save lives.

The EAS is a national public warning system that requires TV and radio broadcasters, cable and direct satellite television providers, and satellite radio services to offer to the President the capability to address the American public during a national emergency.

The system is also used by state and local authorities to deliver information such as emergency weather and AMBER alerts. Hawaii State Civil Defense has an operational procedure that the local broadcasters and cable systems follow. I believe participation is voluntary, but every operation must be able to at least receive the EAS messages.

At the time the National Weather Service issues a flash flood warning for an area, it already knows that flooding is occurring or is imminent. It is in the public's interest for the warning to be aired. The NWS sends the message out via the EAS network and encodes that message with a "warning" header that is detected by each participant in the chain. The participants have pre-programmed their EAS equipment to either hold the message for them to review and manually air or to automatically break into the programming. There are dozens of advisory, watch, and warning categories, but very few are programmed to interrupt programming. One of the most important messages is the "warning"...which means the conditions are such that the event being warned of is likely to occur at any moment. No one is "crying wolf" if the event doesn't take place in front of your house or isn't as bad as you expected it to be. The EAS system and its warnings have saved countless lives throughout the United States since its inception.

Broadcasters, specifically, are required to operate in the public interest as a condition of the license they receive from the Federal Communications Commission. Not airing a Severe Thunderstorm Warning in order to ensure that viewers don't miss the Wheel of Fortune Bonus Round could be considered a breach of that duty. "But my viewers wanted to see all of 'The Good Wife' without interruption" isn't going to fly at license renewal time.

As you have inferred, FM, and I agree, the point of this thread is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
              No one is "crying wolf" if the event doesn't take place in front of your house or isn't as bad as you expected it to be.
              Bingo. The coverage area for the alert is wider than just the o.p.'s house, Final Jeopardy notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                Really, if you can't tell the Hagi remark was merely making sport you are extremely clueless and gullible. A little Hagi weather report pre-empted the first 5 minutes of Jeopardy two days in a row. Never saw such a brew-haha over a rainy day.

And as for the,"if it saves one life", school of thought;I have one for you.

Helmets required for pedestrians. Leave your house, helmet on or pay a fine. Because,if it saves one life it is worth it. IF IT SAVES ONE LIFE!!!!! IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!

20 mph National speed limit! That would save many lives. Worth it?
                The only thing that is "clueless and gullible" is your ridiculous comparison.

The EAS system does not issue messages that dictate orders or legislation to people. It simply issues emergency warnings and information related to such.

So Fritz, if you want to ignore any or all EAS messages, that's up to you. You won't get arrested for putting your fingers in your ears when the warning is sounded. You won't get fined for not heeding a message to evacuate that is relevant to your situation. The EAS is a system that is designed for people who do happen to care about the safety of themselves and others.

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                As you have inferred, FM, and I agree, the point of this thread is pretty ridiculous.
                For me, this is official. The single most idiotic topic in this forum, ever.

Comment

Being in this industry over 20 years, it doesn't phase me when people complain that an emergency alert, interrupted their favorite program. The people that complain are the same people who give the rest of the human race drama, suspense, action, etc..

People who complain about emergency alerts, are the same people we see on tv who ignore a road closed sign and try to drive their car across a raging river and are now klinging to life on a tree, screaming to be rescued. These are the same people who are standing on a beach, minutes before a tsunami is going to hit because, "they want to see what is going to happen". These are the same people standing on the roofs of their flooded out homes screaming to be rescued because they ignored the emergency alert to evacuate.

I just thank them for their concern and move along with my day.

DXer

Comment

Deleted by Amati, I"m trying to not be cranky.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I have no objections to the emergency alerts, or how often they're broadcast. I don't object to their interrupting the program I'm watching. I don't question their value or appropriateness. My only gripe is that at least twice, the audio portion of the programming I was watching remained blanked out for several minutes after the EAS warning message was finished. I don't believe it's supposed to do this. I can't think of any reason why it should. Whether the problem is with the EAS, Oceanic, or KGMB (the station I was watching in both instances), I have no idea. I just wish someone would look into it and try to resolve it.
                      No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Larry, I had the same problem with KGMB and I'm on Satellite. It may be a problem just with that station. I just turned my tv off & then right back on & it was fine.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          Larry, I had the same problem with KGMB and I'm on Satellite. It may be a problem just with that station. I just turned my tv off & then right back on & it was fine.
                          Interesting. Thinking back on it, I remember changing from the HD channel to non-HD versions (7 and 87 on Oceanic) and there was no sound for any of the KGMB feeds. BUT...I can't remember whether I check any other stations besides KGMB. Doh! Guess I'll have to wait for the next time we have an EAS broadcast.

They say the memory is the second thing to go. I forget what the first thing is...
                          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

[quote=LarryPrice;275859They say the memory is the second thing to go. I forget what the first thing is... [/quote]
                            no, memory is the FIRST thing to go.
                            Now, what were we talking about? Sex? What's that?
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                            X