Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oceanic tv remote adjust

I pick on you so often that I'm just trying to show you some love
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Oceanic probably gave you a little pamphlet with your remote that has numbers (different for each manufacturer) which have to be entered into the remote for each other device you want to control with the remote. If not, or if you can't find it, there may be a way of finding out the information from the Oceanic/TW web site, or it's even possible the your cable box has a program for doing this as part of its setup procedures. You'll have to find the number for the manufacturer of your TV and find the procedure for entering this number into the remote. The number is arbitrary and the procedure for entering it differs from remote to remote. I no longer have Oceanic cable equipment, and I can't recall the details.

It might also be possible to set up the remote that came with your TV to work with the cable box. Most remotes for electronic equipment these days are "universal", in that they can be used not only for the device they came with, but also with a few other related devices (typically 3).

Once you have told the Oceanic remote what brand TV you have, it should be possible to use it to change the TV's picture settings. You'll have to change the remote's mode (probably by pressing one of four buttons along the top), to tell it which device you want to send commands to.

Edit: The Oceanic page with instructions on programming remotes is here: http://www.oceanic.com/help/analog/remote
      Last edited by GregLee; March 21, 2012, 01:33 PM.
      Greg

Comment

Ok Ron - I made the telephone call for you! Your TV controls can only be changed ON YOUR TV. The Oceanic Remote is ONLY FOR THE CABLE CONNECTION and SIGNAL from Oceanic. It does NOT control the picture quality/color/contrast/etc. on your tv. If you had a new TV, with a newer "universal" type remote as Greg mentioned, then you could make those changes through your remote - but it would not be the OCEANIC REMOTE, it would be the remote that came with YOUR TV. That is where the difference lies. Hope this finally helps you out.

I think you need to move into the new millenium and just get a new TV
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Awww, I'm almost having a Sally Fields moment!
          It is a new TV, to me, that's the problem. That, and the fact that I havn't gone back to the living room and asked if we have the remote...
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

all this for you and I don't even have Oceanic! I've been on Direct TV (satellite) for the last few years. but, I USED to have Oceanic.
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              It is a new TV, to me, that's the problem. That, and the fact that I havn't gone back to the living room and asked if we have the remote...
              It doesn't matter whether you still have a remote for the TV, and it doesn't matter whether that original remote was universal. If the TV originally came with a remote, it means the TV has an infrared sensor to detect remote signals. It may well be possible to control it with your cable remote. The web page that I referred you to does give a number of possible programming codes for Magnavox TVs. You could try them. I'm not convinced that you can't use your Oceanic remote to control the picture on your TV.
              Greg

Comment

Greg - Oceanic said their remote will only control their signal, not tv settings such as color, contrast etc. That is not a function of their cable signal apparently.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I guess I'm OK with basic OCEANIC, I don't pay for it, and I watch too much TV as it is. I'd go nutsier if I had zillions of options to watch, all of them junk! But there are enuf basic channels and I like getting the AM/FM stations clear and with a blacked screen for sleeping, out here in the country. I'm happy campin'!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Greg - Oceanic said their remote will only control their signal, not tv settings such as color, contrast etc. That is not a function of their cable signal apparently.
                    Well, it is just not true that an Oceanic remote will not control TV settings. I did subscribe to Oceanic for at least 15 years (though I don't now), and I used several models of their remote. I programmed each and every one to control my TV. Honest.

I think the Oceanic CSR you talked to misinterpreted your question. The cable box does not control picture adjustments like contrast, brightness, etc., and so, when you use the cable remote to control the cable box, then you can't control those adjustments. But the cable remote is a universal remote, so it can be set to control the picture settings through the TV. (And it can also control a VCR or DVD or CD player, and probably an audio device, as well.)

The TV can control the picture settings. The cable remote can control the TV, so you can use the cable remote to control the picture settings.
                    Greg

Comment

oooooooo, the cable intrigue continues!
                      Maybe they're still open so I can call, unless ana wants to cover that for me, again...?

Comment

Well, we called our roving OCEANIC cable guy, and he sez NO, you can't adjust from the OCEANIC remote.
                        We may have the Magnavox remote, somewhere, but after pulling out a dozen dusty obsolete remotes from the living room TV area Death Valley, mine didn't show up. Exactly the hell I was avoiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          oooooooo, the cable intrigue continues!
                          Why don't you just go to the Oceanic web page I referred to previously and: (1) identify which remote you have from the pictures given and any other identifying model name or number, (2) look up the the 3 digit Magnavox TV codes for your remote, (3) follow the procedure given for programming the code for that remote, (4) for each of the possible Magnavox codes, try it and see if it works. (The standard procedure to check whether you've got a working code is, after you've programmed the code in, with the remote switched to TV mode and the TV turned on, press the "power" button on the remote --- if the TV is turned off, it works.)

It takes some time and patience. It might not work, but then, again, it might.
                          Greg

Comment

Don't you miss the days when all you had to do was buy a television set, plug it in, adjust the antenna a little, and there you go! And it was all free (except for the cost of the TV).

Now days, you need an advanced engineering degree to figure things out. And even then, it might not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              Don't you miss the days when all you had to do was buy a television set, plug it in, adjust the antenna a little, and there you go!
                              No. Too boring.
                              Greg

Comment

Sorry, Greg I forgot to address your post. I did all that, and got bupkis.
                                Also odd, that the TV vol. sez it doubles for 'menu', but again, nada.

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                                Don't you miss the days when all you had to do was buy a television set, plug it in, adjust the antenna a little, and there you go!
                                I'm impressed with a lot of digital stuffs, but yeah, I'm not happy losing the analog bennies, and digital has often been a failure in my world. It'll probably work better after we're all dead and gone. Then again, maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                                X