Anyone remember these shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember these shoes?

They had a shape like the Dr. Scholl's exercise sandals but in the block of wood under your heel was a beautiful handpainted tropical design on either outer shoe. All I remember was how beautiful they were and that my mom found them somewhere on Oahu between the years of 80 to 82.
    When I returned in 04, a lady in the shop at Waimea Bay shop said they were called Klonkas because of the sound they made when you walked which sounds feasible. I figure they were from china or japan or maybe even vietnam but don't know for sure.
    Last edited by memorylane; April 18, 2012, 07:51 AM.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Still wishing I could someone that remembers these shoes!

I don't know what a Dr. Scholl's exercise sandal looks like, but it sounds like you're talking about chanclas. Which isn't a specific kind of sandal, I don't think. But I'm no shoe expert.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

OMG, my heart skipped a beat there for a second while the pictures loaded!!! But alas, those are pretty much jus regular flippa's da kine local's wea.
      This is a Dr. Scholl's

The rear heel would have been maybe a 1/2 inch taller to accomodate beautiful paintings most likely by hand of tropical type scenery like jumping dolphins, the famous Waikiki beach with Diamond Head, a sunset, etc. on either outer side.

Comment

I know what sandals you're talking about but I'm remembering the design "engraved" into the wooden heel rather than painted. I saw them in a small shop in Makaha about 8 years ago but that shop has since closed. If they're still around my guess is they'd be found in stores catering to tourists. I'll try to remember to check the ABC Store across the street.

Comment

I've scoured the island both times I have been back and only got this close in 04 at the airport as I was leaving.
          A woman at the Waimea Bay gift shop said they were called Klonka's or something similar for the wood klonk sound they made but nothing has turned up on Google or anywhere else on the world wide web which has absolutely everything imaginable and some things you'd really rather not know about.

Comment

Checked ABC Store today and no luck. Sorry.

Comment

Here's my Google search for you...
              http://www.google.com/#hl=en&site=&s...w=1440&bih=763
              And a specific page from that search...
              http://www.etsy.com/search?includes[]=tags&q=painted+sandals
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Anyone remember these shoes?

Many Mahalo's but no cigar.......I just don't get it!! I was able to find those plastic rings that was ALL the rage all over the island that you clip together to make bigger sets and play like jacks but I can't find a silly pair of shoes!!

Comment

Working...
                X