X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Dick Clark

Sad news.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/18...rk-dies-at-82/

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P. Dick Clark

Yet another icon from TV's Golden Age passing away.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

This is truly sad. When I was younger I used to watch "American Bandstand" on the weekends, and even on weekdays on the old black and white TV set. My favorite was always the "Rate a Record" portion and of course the guest singers or groups that mostly lip synched to their hits of the day.

I also loved his radio show, "Rock Roll and Remember". I even have a 3 record set of an actual radio show that I bought years ago from Froggies. I also have several compilation albums of music with Dick Clark's namesake on them.

And then there's those old "Bloopers" shows he used to host with Ed McMahon and of course the New Year's Rockin Eve. He also produced the American Music Awards and I think that still has his name attached to it in some way.

The guy was not only America's perpetual teenager, he was also a great entrepreneur and marketer of TV shows and music.

Rest in Peace.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

He will certainly be missed.

I am glad that he won't be suffering though. Watching the last few New Years was awesome to see him getting back out there, but also sad as he couldn't keep up well with things.

R.I.P
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          My favorite was always the "Rate a Record" portion.
          (Imagine this being said in a nasally, South Philly twang) "I like the beat. I give it a four."

As a 14 y.o., I can attest that I felt the first "burning in my loins" watching those sweet young thangs dancing on AB.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

A friend commented: "Why did Dick Clark have to die in 2012?"

I thought that an odd question, so I said: "He was the last of the Mayan High Priests; it was predestined."

Friend said: "That's what i'm afraid of "

Not quite sure how seriously to take him on this...

Comment

RIP. I liked him on "Pyramid."

The Mayans are correct. There will be no 2013 without Dick Clark.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post

Yeah, he really dropped the ball.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                  Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                  Yeah, he really dropped the ball.
                  Oh, ouch, THAT was bad.

(Yet another reason I like you, man. I'm just jealous that I didn't come up with that one first.)

Comment

Dick Clark was one of the nicest people I ever met. Many years ago, Dick called me and asked if I'd like to pull a practical joke on Soupy Sales for "TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes."

Dick set up the whole prank. I was to tell Soupy that Brandon Tartikoff (who was running NBC-TV programming at the time) had a wunderkind director that wanted to interview Soupy for a new TV show. I accompanied Soupy to the "interview," which turned out to be a fiasco for Soupy. The "director" had Soupy keep his hand in a tub of ice water during the interview (to keep his cheeks rosy), while he answered questions while staring at a goldfish swimming in a bowl just off camera. He had to sit on the couch with his legs crossed and under him (to keep him alert). It was a funny bit, but it was all I could do to keep Soupy from storming off the set before I could let him in on the joke. When I told him he was on "TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes" his reaction was great.

Dick told me after the segment aired that it was one of his favorite pranks, but I never told Dick that the bit almost never happened. The day before it was scheduled to shoot, Soupy told me he had second thoughts about doing the interview and was going to go to Friars Club instead that afternoon. He had done some research and couldn't find any information on this young director. I spent over an hour trying to talk him out of cancelling. He finally agreed after I had Brandon Taritkoff call him at home. I wasn't sure, however, that he was actually going to do it until I took him from the studio after his radio show and sat us both in the limo that was parked in front of 30 Rock waiting to drive us to the interview in a rented studio across town. Fortunately, I had made sure there was wine in the car...and after a glass he was ready to go.

I also hosted some programs on the United Stations Radio Network back in 1980s and 90s, which Dick owned along with Nick Verbitsky. After every program, he'd send me a nice note thanking me for doing the show.

He was a class act.

Comment

Always considered Alan Freed to be the greatest impresario of rock-n-roll, rather than Dick Clark. But there can be no question that DC was one heckuva businessman who really had a knack for entertainment marketing in all the different mediums.

Thanks for sharing your memories, Dale. I guess now, Dick will be joining up with old pals Soupy and Ed McMahon for another run of the Bloopers & Practical Jokes show up in heaven.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I had just taken a class on the history of rock n roll a couple of days before he passed. I know that new years eve will not be the same without him and I guess I missed my chance to participate in an American legend.
                        Visit me at Hawaii Vacation Guide

Comment

Great story, Dale. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thankyou Dale for that insight.
                            all the best.

Comment

Working...
                            X