The Secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret

Have you heard of 'The Secret'? Or know it yourself?
    A coworker turned me on to it and even burned me a copy.
    I think you should check it out...

The Secret movie trailer

wikipedia page on it
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: The Secret

"The Secret" has worked for me time and time again. But it is not that big a secret. The Secret is simply the power of positive thinking. It is a great way for someone to earn an income off of book and movie rights for a simple concept that is available to everyone for free.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm sorry, but I think the Secret is kind of a crock. Which probably sounds funny coming from a guy who believes some of the stuff I confess to believing.

My biggest issue is this: If the concepts of The Secret are true, and if good things are the result of positive thinking, doesn't it follow that bad things happen because the victims just weren't thinking positively enough?

The Holocaust wouldn't have happened if six million Jews had simply known The Secret? President Kennedy wouldn't have been assassinated if only Oprah had been there to tell him The Secret? Our dear loved ones who've died from terminal illness or horrible accident are really to blame because they didn't think positively enough? I just don't see how that works.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Our dear loved ones who've died from terminal illness or horrible accident are really to blame because they didn't think positively enough?
        Then obviously, you don't believe in Tinker Bell either. Yes, you are correct, The Secret will never work for you.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

So you agree with my assertion, that when a person dies from terminal illness, it's because he or she didn't know how to use The Secret correctly?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So you agree with my assertion, that when a person dies from terminal illness, it's because he or she didn't know how to use The Secret correctly?
            Okay... since you had to go there, by using the same analogy another died because they didn't believe good enough or pray right? Correct?!

I see in my life as I exude positive 'vibes' more positive happens. Doesn't mean no negative things happen, just less. On the other hand when I am feeling/being negative, more of the same happens, with some positive even smiling points thrown in.

Has anyone else noticed these types of situations?

Comment

My biggest issue is this: If the concepts of The Secret are true, and if good things are the result of positive thinking, doesn't it follow that bad things happen because the victims just weren't thinking positively enough?
              Yes and no.

Yes to more positive being attracted by positive.
              And no to not thinking poitively enough... it's thinking negative attracts more negativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                Yes and no.

Yes to more positive being attracted by positive.
                And no to not thinking poitively enough... it's thinking negative attracts more negativity.
                There are benefits to thinking positively, but they are not the be all and end all of living. They certainly don't hurt, but they are a nice nudge in that direction.
                Funny, thinking negatively has more power than thinking positively! Cause if you think negatively you draw that kind of energy to you.

All of us are going to die, so that doesn't count. It is when and how you die....
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Okay... since you had to go there, by using the same analogy another died because they didn't believe good enough or pray right? Correct?!
                  Actually, no. This has never been part of Christian doctrine, which is not to say that there aren't some who believe this. The act of prayer is a reaching up for some kind of guidance or assistance, or even a listening ear, but the idea that praying harder or praying enough means more favorable results doesn't go along with the idea that an all-knowing God has a plan, which is doctrinal. If I understand The Secret correctly, the (mostly material) blessings you wish will be yours if you have the right mindset.

I see in my life as I exude positive 'vibes' more positive happens. Doesn't mean no negative things happen, just less. On the other hand when I am feeling/being negative, more of the same happens, with some positive even smiling points thrown in.
                  This I will not dispute. Positivity breeds positivity. And most of the time, if we treat others well, we get treated well. But we cannot forget that just as we have free will, the people around us have free will, and they may at any time exercise their free will to do us harm, no matter how positive our mindsets are. An act of malice or carelessness on someone else's part can bring to each of us, whether we are tuned into The Secret or not, incredible misfortune. And let's not forget illness or natural disaster, which don't have anything to do with the behavior of others.

One of our good friends on HT has breast cancer. I think she'll make it, and she might even make it because positivity on her part makes her healthier. But we all know that the ground is full of positive thinkers who simply succumbed to this horrible, unjust disease. I won't tell our friend that recovery is hers if she simply expects it because the inverse would have to be true: that if she doesn't recover, it's because she didn't know The Secret. That's blaming the victim.

Yes to more positive being attracted by positive. And no to not thinking positively enough... it's thinking negative attracts more negativity.
                  Does this mean that people who recover from breast cancer are positive thinkers and people who don't recover are negative thinkers? Be careful with this kind of thinking: it blames the victims.

Let's take it away from such huge things as illness or death. What about wealth? I would like to earn a million bucks a year. I would also like to spend more time doing the work I love, at a school I love. I already put in a good fifty to sixty hours per week. How would knowing The Secret get me all these things? My heart's desires work against each other, because the more time I spend doing work I love, the LESS time I have for pursuing that million bucks; I'm not getting it from my employer, I'll tell you that. Or maybe the only reason I'm not getting it from my employer is I'm thinking too negatively about it? Will a change in my mindset change the economic realities of the career I believe I was called to do?
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    It is a great way for someone to earn an income off of book and movie rights ...
                    Except in this case:
                    A coworker ... burned me a copy.
                    [/irony]

Comment

...My heart's desires work against each other...
                      You've discovered the kernel of your discontent. I've never heard anything more negatively oriented.

The solution - oneness of desire. Resolve the conflict.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

You are not grasping the principle and that's okay. The Secret is not for everyone, some will never benefit because the can't see the forest for the trees. It is NOT about what happens to you, but how you react to it. Expand your mind Scriv.

The act of prayer is a reaching up for some kind of guidance or assistance, or even a listening ear, but the idea that praying harder or praying enough means more favorable results doesn't go along with the idea that an all-knowing God has a plan, which is doctrinal.
                        Then you have never watched some of the revival meetings where people come in a wheel chair and leave dancing in the aisle.

If I understand The Secret correctly, the (mostly material) blessings you wish will be yours if you have the right mindset.
                        You don't understand the concept correctly.

And let's not forget illness or natural disaster, which don't have anything to do with the behavior of others.
                        I disagree with this statement, but will not argue the point.

One of our good friends on HT has breast cancer.
                        That's unfortunate. I will send my positive energy to her. That is The Secret

Does this mean that people who recover from breast cancer are positive thinkers and people who don't recover are negative thinkers? Be careful with this kind of thinking: it blames the victims.
                        Scriv you are taking the wrong fork in the road. It is not about surviving, we all die from one thing or another someday. It is all about checking out with dignity and looking forward to new challenges. That is The Secret.

I would like to earn a million bucks a year. I would also like to spend more time doing the work I love, at a school I love. I already put in a good fifty to sixty hours per week. How would knowing The Secret get me all these things?
                        Easy. Do (work) the thing you do love. Do it better than anyone else. You will be rewarded richly, if not materially then by knowing that you have found your passion in life. Do you really think that making a million bucks a year will make you happier? It won't unless you have found The Secret. You may work 80 hours per week on what you love to do most but find that there just isn't enough hours in the day to work even more hours when you have accepted The Secret.

Will a change in my mindset change the economic realities of the career I believe I was called to do?
                        Absolutely yes! You will be happier and live longer too. You can do it Scriv!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Except in this case:

[/irony]
                        Yep, you are correct. One man's Secret is another man's meal ticket. I choose to give The Secret away free.......that's part of The Secret! I'm here sitting looking out toward the vast Pacific, temps are in the low 80's, not a cloud in the sky, I've got 808 tunes coming over the satellite (CD is Aloha Pumehana by Darlene Ahuna), and I've got good news to share with HT ohana but it is going to have to wait for about a month. I've found The Secret!
                        Last edited by matapule; April 26, 2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Funny thing about 'The Secret'...

...if someone knows it, it's 'the secret', however, if someone shares it, it's the scam.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of the power of positive thinking, and still am. . . that being said, I never thought of cancer, yet here I am 2.5 years in, still dealing with shit, and on the verge of some pretty serious surgery.

I guess the secret was not for me.

ILLUMINATI!
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

In 2007, when The Secret came out, my boss made us all sit and watch it, presumably as a way to increase sales. I took some notes during the film and wrote them down. Granted, this was from five years ago, but I still have the blogpost I made. I'll share it for those who care to read my rant. I believe that a Christian cannot agree with the concepts espoused in this book/movie and here is why. IMHO

The Secret
                              It doesn't upset me that the world is buying "The Secret" as it really appeals to people, exactly as it did when it was sold as "The Power of Positive Thinking" or "EST" or any other secular program that tells people that they really are in charge of the Universe, and all they have to do is learn to control it.

What upsets me is when it gets just as many people "in" the church falling for it. This latest packaging of the lie in the garden (You can be like God) is very insidious, as it has people pushing it as a totally non-contrary to Christianity method to improve your life. Especially with people like Oprah pushing it, soon there will not be anyone that doesn't know "The Secret".

I am writing today because this week, the movie showed up at my office. We were told to watch it as a way to improve our practice. I objected, but when my boss told me that it wasn't a religious movie, I decided to watch it and take notes. I know I am not going to convince anyone who is not a believer that this movie is pushing a religion. But, here are some of my notes. You decide for yourself what it is pushing.

You can have what ever you want. (greed, lust)

The Law of Attraction - Quantum Physics - proves that whatever is in your mind, you attract to you, whatever is in your mind, you become. (Uh, scary that this is basically true. The scary part is that what is in our mind and our hearts is deceitfully wicked)

Thoughts become things. It always works. With every person. (Does this line up with reality? Just as the Word of Faith movement believes, anything bad that happens, YOU actually caused. Either your lack of faith, or your thinking bad thoughts brought it upon you.)

Good thoughts or bad thoughts do not matter. To solve the problem that people don't like you if you are gay, you just need to focus on the positive aspects of your life and you will have people liking you. (Wow, what about the problem of being judged by a holy God for your sin? Can you focus on the positive aspects of Hell to make it feel not so hot?)

If what you want is sin (Lust, Greed) or anything at all (remember, our hearts desire jewelry, fast cars, big houses, dating several women at once) you can have it. Focus on your desires and they are yours for the taking.

Positive thoughts are stronger than negative thoughts. (By what measuring rod are we calling thoughts positive or negative? Once we become the gods of the Universe, who is to say that our thoughts aren't all positive?)

Avoid thoughts. They are limited. The key is to focus on your feelings. If it feels good, do it. (Wow, need I say more?) Your thoughts/feelings actually create your life/your future. (Again, we are the creators of the universe.)

It's important to Feel Good to attract things that make you feel good. Freedom and power come from these good feelings.

The Universe/Your Higher Self (You)/Your Guardian Angel is just like Alladin's Lamp. It's job is to fulfill your wishes... with no limit.
                              Ask, Believe and you will Receive. Focus on your desires. Feel it more than think it.
                              (Do I really need to comment on each line? This just screams out to me. You either see it or you don't.)

If you are doing it the way the Universe wants you to... You'll be joyous about it. (Again, trust your heart to lead you.)

Trust that life will take you where you want BECAUSE you want it. Be in alignment with the Universe. There are no rules according to the Universe. (Sounds just like traditional Christianity to me. What do you think?)

Life is meant to be abundant... in all areas. (Says who? Define abundant.)

Get yourself inner joy first. Then outer joy will follow. (Is that like Seek first your own kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be added to you?)

The secret is that we are creators of our universe. (In the beginning, was me!)

Fill yourself up. Give to yourself first. Fall in love with yourself. (These are all direct quotes from the movie. I'm not sure I could make this stuff up.)

Only one person can be in charge of your bliss - That's you. Your joy lies within you. You can even heal yourself.

Don't change the world. Go with the flow and celebrate it. (This movie runs on and inevitably starts contradidicting itself. First, desire change. Then, don't try to change anything.)

Bless and praise things. (Not the creator of these things) Embrace what you want - to get more of it.

Everything is energy. You are energy. God is energy. (It follows that You are God). Then literally, you are the Author. You are the Designer. (Check out who is called those titles in Hebrews 12:2)

The power that is within YOU is greater than the power that is in the world. (I suppose if you read 1 John 4 in context, you won't misunderstand what this means)

We are unlimited beings.

God does not have a purpose for you. Your purpose is what YOU say it is.

Nobody will ever stand in judgment of you... EVER (Acts 17:31 / Psalm 96:13)

All great religious teachers (picture of Jesus on the screen) understood the secret... That YOU are the Creator

All great religious teachers (picture of Jesus on the screen) understood the secret... That YOU are the Creator

There it is. Another example of a philosophy taking away the righteous judgement of God. Remove God from the throne. Replace yourself there. No God, no judgement. No sin. Party on!

Please, folks. These are the end times. There is coming a day soon that God will judge the world in righteousness. Who do you know that is eating up this spiritual garbage? Please take some time to share the truth with them. Don't let your hands have their blood on them. How will they believe if they don't hear the truth? How will they hear it if we don't tell them?

Comment

Working...
                              X