More Honolulu stations should utilize HD technology for niche formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Honolulu stations should utilize HD technology for niche formats

With KORL FM 101.1 utilizing HD technology for niche formats, e.g., smooth jazz on KORL HD2, Korean pop on KORL HD3, and Japanese pop on KORL HD4, I think more Honolulu stations should utilize HD technology for niche formats. For instance, Salem could broadcast their stations in HD. KHCM 97.5 HD2 could program classic country and KHCM HD3 could program bluegrass. KKOL 107.9 HD2 could program Sheriff Norm's Long Lost Oldies 24/7 and KKOL HD3 could program The Music Of Your Life. I don't know if I'm the only one who has an HD radio, but IMHO HD radio is the future. One way to make HD radio more viable is to sell HD radios in Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, the PX, and other ordinary stores. I had to shop and order online to get my HD radio. HD radios would be much more easy to find if they were sold in traditional stores.

Re: More Honolulu stations should utilize HD technology for niche formats

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one who has an HD radio, but IMHO HD radio is the future.
    Maybe so, but it is slow going for HD IMO. HD has been out for some years now, but I have yet to buy a set. I am fairly satisfied with what I can get on standard AM & FM analog radio... and still... analog radio is way, way cheaper yet than HD. Show me an HD radio for less than $30 maybe I will buy. Less than $15 then I'm in.

While HHawaii Media is broadcasting some of their stations on HD, the same programs and format can also be found on standard FM.

KPHI 96.7 FM - Pinoy Power Radio (also on 1130 AM)
    KORL 97.1 FM - Today's J-Pop Hits
    KORL 101.1 FM - Today's Modern Mix
    KORL 101.5 FM - Hawaii's Smooth Jazz
    KORL 107.5 FM - Today's Hot K-Pop Hits

I've heard them all on standard radio. I like the Modern Mix station.

And with iOS and Android apps streaming radio and other audio content from Hawaii and all over the world, well.... can one even ask if HD Radio is necessary?

I like the radio/audio apps that I have running on my iOS device. As long as the streams are free, I don't see a reason to buy an expensive HD Radio when I already have an expensive and more versatile iOS device that can do the same thing and more.

Anyway, just my opinion on this.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There really is no need for stations to spend the money on HD Radio and even less reason for consumers to buy the more expensive receivers. The coverage isn't all that good and on FM it's not even close to the analog carrier. Forget about AM HD Radio...it's a complete waste.

The industry has done a lousy job with HD Radio...almost as bad as AM Stereo or Quad-FM. And, by the way, the "HD" in HD Radio stands for Hybrid Digital, not High Definition....there's really no marked difference in quality.

And no need for the "extra" stations to provide niche programming when thousands of outlets are available through new media.

I think only radio nerds have even a passing interest in HD Radio.

Comment

What has replaced HD or other niche technologies for radio is well... an app! There's an app for it. I Heart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Pandora, Radio and a whole lot of others are out there for people to listen to all kinds of radio, music and talk show formats from all over the U.S. and around the world.

They all work with varying degrees on a number of smart phones and tablets utilizing the major operation systems such as iOS, Android, Windows 8 and others. Plus most all stream via the web and other home entertainment devices.

No need for HD radio I believe when an app can pull in a station from the other side of the world needing only an internet wifi or cell connection.

Some of the local radio stations have their own streaming apps like KHNR and KNWB B-97.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

While it's difficult for streaming audio and video to approach the quality levels achieved by conventional delivery systems, I think we'll see that change in the not so distant future. And even with so-so quality, more and more listeners and viewers are streaming their entertainment and bypassing cable TV and broadcast radio.

50 years ago I broadcast my little homebrew AM-FM pirate radio operation from my basement, thrilled that I was being heard a couple of miles away.

Today, anyone can put together a legal Internet radio or even TV station and be heard and seen all over the world.

Comment

Working...
          X