Buying laptop - 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying laptop - 2012

I've decided to get another Toshiba model. They have improved the speaker system which was my only complaint about the one I have now. I probably going to buy it again from Best Buy or Office Depot as they seem to have a good price with free shipping. Its been interesting reading all your posts on this!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Are you sure you want a laptop? My wife always wants laptops, and I can't understand why, since she always keeps hers on her desk. I always get desktops. I got an HP Pavilion desktop p7-1220 in February for a little over $600 from Amazon (no monitor included). Works great.
      Greg

Comment

I hate sitting at a desk, a laptop is way more satisfying, and I can think completely.
        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 17, 2012, 07:16 PM.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          May have found my happy medium http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-i7.../dp/B0062TURJC Pretty much what I have but on steroids.
          Scroll down for interesting user reviews.

I see them on ebay for under $900 and in my preferred brushed metal, instead of black. They do tend to get hot, not good.

Opinions, please.
          Ron, I am not a fan of 17" screen laptops. I had one once. They are not as portable as smaller screens, they weigh quite a bit more, the large screens are hard on those hinges (more leverage can create hinge failure), and those large screens use a lot more power than the smaller screens so your battery power is shorter lived. I think they are good if you are looking for a substitute for a desktop and leave them plugged in constantly, but if that is the case, just purchase a desktop, you get a lot more for your money.

As far as the color of the case, basic black is the least expensive and will never go out of style. I refuse to be a slave to fashion (one of the many reasons I don't sport tatoos).

Like you, I rarely use my computer at a desk, so a desktop does not make sense for me. We travel a lot and we always take our own laptops with us (fewer arguments if we each have our own). So, in my opinion, a 15.6" screen laptop makes the most sense to us and we get the most bang for our buck at that size.

However, YMMV.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

How do the specs stack up on the one I linked to, for the bang4buck aspects? It's got a lot going for it, I'd say.

I should prefer a 15"er but would hate to regret not having the 17. My research on my current DV7z showed they cured the running HP hinge problems with a real honker, and I hauled/mauled it around quite a bit in my backpack during it's first year of service with no probs. Not sure about the stability on other current models, tho. I can't see ever having a desk model for myself. When I buy another I need it to be all this one is and more. I love mine but it's as low as I'll go re build/parts/audio/visual quality, if a few hun more delivers all that and BluRay with the appropriate pixel rate, plus the extra cores + GBs/RAM beef and minus the humbugging problem I'm experiencing, then I'm in. I'm leaning to getting my current one in top shape, but also thinking I should pull the trigger for the upgrade in case this one bites the dust soon.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If you want a Windows laptop with the looks and hardware of a MacBook, look no further than the Vizio laptops. Otherwise, yes ASUS makes good laptops as well. I'd stay away from HP....they don't put much into their consumer computer industry.
              kiddori

Comment

Working...
              X