Big Stinky Corpse Flower @ Foster Botanical Gardens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Stinky Corpse Flower @ Foster Botanical Gardens

Honolulu’s Foster Botanical Garden announces that its Amorphophallus titanum, an endangered species native to Sumatra Indonesia, is expected to bloom on Thursday, May 17, 2012. This short lived flower only blooms once every 3 to 5 years. The plant is at Foster Botanical Garden's Orchid Conservatory.

According to Scot Mitamura, a Honolulu Botanical Garden horticulturalist, the Amorphophallus titanum is the largest unbranched inflorescence in the plant kingdom. Contributing to this plants’ exotic allure is its horrific odor of rotted flesh, which serves to attract the carrion beetles that pollinate the flower.

Foster Botanical Garden, at 50 North Vineyard Boulevard, is in the center of busy downtown Honolulu and is the oldest of the City’s botanical gardens. The garden displays a mature and impressive collection of tropical plants. Some of the magnificent trees in this 14-acre garden were planted in the 1850s by Dr. William Hillebrand. The botanic garden also includes a palm collection, the Lyon Orchid Garden, hybrid orchid display, the Prehistoric Glen, and a giftshop.

There are five distinct gardens forming Honolulu’s unique botanical garden system; Foster Botanical Garden, Ho`omaluhia Botanical Garden, Koko Crater Botanical Garden, Lili`uokalani Botanical Garden, and Wahiawa Botanical Garden. The five gardens, located in different ecological settings on Oahu, offer visitors year-round opportunities to explore unique and diverse plant collections.

Garden admission is free, except at Foster Botanical Garden. Cost for admission at Foster Garden is: $5.00 - general, 13 years and older; $3.00 - Hawaii resident 13 years and older with ID, $1.00 - Child 6 to 12 years old; free - Child 5 years old and under (must be with adult). Call 522-7066 for information.

The mission of the Honolulu Botanical Gardens is to plan, develop, curate, maintain and study documented collections of tropical plants in an aesthetic setting for the purposes of conservation, botany, horticulture, education, and recreation.
    Last edited by kiwidiva; May 16, 2012, 11:20 AM. Reason: pic
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Big Stinky Corpse Flower @ Foster Botanical Gardens

How cool!
    Maybe tomorrow after Mom's and before work.
    Gotta see (er... smell) this!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

"Big Stinky" or "Audrey 3" (as I like to call it) has started blooming. Scot the Botanist said, "The flower must be reaching maturity, because the stench is horrendous and can be smelled as you enter the conservatory." I would like to get a bunch of people with anosmia next to the pretty flower smiling coz they have no idea how bad it smells!
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

What a fun day!
        Don & I went to Mom's for breakfast and errands in Kailua.
        Then on to Foster Botanical Gardens to check this plant out.
        There was actually a line of people to get to it.
        Smelled kind of like an old Aku fishing boat to me?
        Now getting ready for work and have already had a full day!

Flickr Set
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

So..., just walking by the old Tuna Packers was worse?
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Great pic, Menehune Man! I missed it this year but was very amused watching the stories on local TV and seeing all the pix posted on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Comment

It's probably a good thing no one invented "smell o rama" for the internet.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

MM, good picture. A human in the photo gives a sense of scale.
                One of these things bloomed at the university of washington seattle campus.
                In a related sidenote there are plants called skunk cabbage that grow in swampy areas
                of the pacific northwest.
                They have the ability to increase their metabolsim enough to warm themselves about 10 degrees farenheit
                They can literally melt their way through a light dusting of snow.

Comment

Working...
                X