Sew A Lei for Memorial Day - #LeiUp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sew A Lei for Memorial Day - #LeiUp

Bring your lunch to Honolulu Hale Courtyard on Friday, May 25, to enjoy the music of the Royal Hawaiian Band Glee Club and sew lei for the upcoming Mayor's Memorial Day Ceremony. The lei sewing festivities will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Every year more than 50,000 fresh flower lei are needed to be placed on each veteran's grave marker at Punchbowl and other cemeteries on Oahu for Memorial Day ceremonies honoring our fallen heroes. The Mayor’s Memorial Day Service is on Monday, May 28, 8:30 a.m. at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Social media users are encouraged to tweet about the event using the hashtag #LeiUp. Use twitter, facebook, instagram or your favorite social media platform to help us promote and document our first ever tweet up to make lei. RSVP here: http://twtvite.com/leiup http://www.facebook.com/notes/city-a...93940527360926

Those who cannot attend the sewing event can drop off lei on Friday, May 25, at designated community parks (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.) and fire stations (6:30 a.m. to noon), the Parks Permit Office in the Fasi Municipal Building and at the Kapolei Hale Security Desk (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.). Loose plumeria and other lei flowers are also needed and can be dropped off on the morning of Friday, May 25, (8:30 a.m. to noon) at Waipahu District Park, Kailua District Park and Makua Ali‘i Senior Center. For information and drop-off locations and times, call the Department of Parks and Recreation at 768-3002.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Sew A Lei for Memorial Day - #LeiUp

Glad this is happening midday! I should be able to come down during my lunch break.

Comment

Re: Sew A Lei for Memorial Day - #LeiUp

Excellent! We still need donations of lei and flowers on Friday as well as volunteers to help sew lei for Memorial Day. It is always a challenge to get the 50,000 lei we need but we expect it will be even harder this year due to the flower shortage.

Lei may be dropped off at the following O‘ahu locations on Friday, May 25, 2012:

City Fire Stations:
      Any City and County fire station on the island 6:30a.m. - 12:00 noon

City Parks: Between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
      Wai‘anae District Park 696-5039
      Waiau District Park 453-7555
      Kailua District Park 266-7652
      Waialua District Park 637-9721
      Waimanalo District Park 259-8926
      Ala Wai District Park 973-7250
      Makiki District Park 522-7074
      Waipahū District Park 675-6030
      Kāne‘ohe District Park 233-7300
      Makua Ali‘i Center (1541 Kalākaua Ave) 973-7258

Department of Parks and Recreation:
      Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Kapolei Hale 768-3002
      Security Desk, 1st floor
      1000 Uluohia Street

Frank F. Fasi Municipal Building 768-3440
      Parks Permit Section, 1st floor
      650 S. King Street
      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
      X