Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hypotheticals - moving to Oahu

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    But generic frosted flakes are not grrrrrrrrreat!
    What brand? Malt o Meal (comes in the plastic bags instead of a box) at the least is grrrreat IMO. My boys and I have come to actually prefer some generic brands of, for instance, mac and cheese over Kraft and little do some people know, generics are often made in the same factory as the name brands are.
    Last edited by memorylane; July 11, 2012, 02:18 PM.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Tony The Tiger shills for only one corp., Kelloggs. Time for a bowl for dessert.
      But I think I'll try Malt-O-Meal again, and ZOOM is good too.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
        What brand? Malt o Meal (comes in the plastic bags instead of a box) at the least is grrrreat IMO.
        Back in the days when I used to eat what I call "sugar bomb" cereals (not that long ago, really), I found that I really liked the Malt-O-Meal bagged imitations of Froot Loops and Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries - much, much cheaper than the originals. But I just can't eat that kind of sugary stuff anymore. *sigh*

Comment

As for cheap cereal that's nutritious it's hard to beat steel cut oatmeal. Yummm! I cook a weeks worth in the crockpot.

Comment

Do I detect sarcasm? Just curious. The guy asked a legitimate question, one I would like to hear the answer to only to have to read your post which I do admit is sad but true.
            Just the God-honest truth. Maybe I was a little disappointed that the thread wasn't really about Hypotheticals moving to Oahu, but it's a fact that you don't have to bring a spare pair of socks or a wisp o' sense to live happy and free here. Look, if he asks a question without providing qualifying parameters, then I'll answer without considering qualifying parameters - who am I to bind someone else with arbitrary qualifying parameters of my own choosing?

tutusue, where do you buy low-priced steel-cut oats?
            Last edited by salmoned; July 12, 2012, 12:15 PM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              it's a fact that you don't have to bring a spare pair of socks or a wisp o' sense to live happy and free here
              I am currently, and often have lived well and free in Hawaii, but what are your ideas on doing such?
              While I await your edifications I'll be making some popcorn.

Comment

Pass me some corn too please?

Pampa is the brand on these recent frosted flakes find. Saw them in the oddball cheapo depo section of Homeland which is what used to be Safeway.
                The box says they are a product of Poland but they are manufactured in Miami, Fla for transnationalfood.com

I haven't tasted them yet but they also had cocoa puff type and either of the two selections were FOUR boxes for 5 bucks. I was like "Oh yeah! Worth a try!"

Comment

Lets hear your free and easy ways tho while we are waiting to see if he comes back to share his?

Comment

Lets hear your free and easy ways tho while we are waiting to see if he comes back to share his?
                    I started my days in Hawaii working on the restructuring of a 160' schooner by day and guarding the vessel by night. After a coupl'a years she went into service, around '78, and I was retained as deck maint. during the weekdays and continued my quasi-nightwatch duties at Pier 6, on the weekend I sailed the inter-island route. I had the comfy Captain's quarters and could tell immediately if someone stepped on deck. Then we moved to Kewalo Basin, got paid well and ate like a king for free, for 5 years. In '80, I got my dream job as Apprentice rigger aboard Falls Of Clyde, and split my nights sleeping there or at home where I shared cheap rent with my friend (Don Ho's '70 era drummer/chick magnet), did that for over a year before moving to beachfront in Kaaawa where I worked for my rent and spending cash for 3 years doing grounds and home maint. at Makaua Shores/condo rentals. Then parlayed that into house/estate/boat sitting while doing a lot of shrimp/lobster fishing where I lived aboard when the former wasn't happening, mostly on the large proccessor Easy Rider Too... co-ed workers(!). In '90 I had an apt. over a friend's Mapunapuna shop that I protected for 2 years, then got into recycling and had a room on Sheridan St. as night security, when the City screwed everybody we moved to Iwilei and I built a sweet shack on the property til '95. The obvious downside to all this is you never set roots, but then how many non-homeowners can be assured of long-term rental security? Being a dedicated single with no responsibilities makes that much easier. For the next 10 years I did normal jobs between more sitting situations until moving to beachfront in Waialua for 5 great free years helping a friend with his home and music goals. Then back to Kaaawa where I caretake the home, cook for and basically watchover my 'Aunty' 24/7 and earn a healthy monthly check.
                    So, there you go, sorry you asked?!

Comment

Well, the obvious suggestion is grazing lunch at the Costco sample stations. Easy to get free lunch there. Once they had free mini-hamburgers too. In Mexico, where the laws are different, Costco has free samples of tequila, wine, Jack Daniels and coke, and other alcoholic spirits too. Not only can you get free lunch but get loaded too!

Last Wednesday, all 7-11 stores in U.S. had free Slurpees all day to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. Matapule passed on that one.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                      X