Hypotheticals - moving to Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypotheticals - moving to Oahu

Okay so, quite some time ago the question was posed "Would you ever move back to Hawaii?" At the time, my answer was probably not, due to lack of opportunities in my chosen field, along with my wanting to put as much distance as possible between me and my toxic family. Plus the cost of living there was too high.

Since then, the discipline I've dedicated 20 years of my life to has decided it doesn't need me anymore, and the family member who was causing 99% of the trouble has passed on. I was in Honolulu for the funeral, and it was very interesting to see how much had changed and how much had stayed the same, but most interesting of all was the fact that after all these years, it still felt like home.

Since then, the thought of moving has been in the back of my mind, but there is still the issue of money. I don't mind living a spartan existence; I was able to do it in California and I don't even like California that much. I don't have many possessions, so a small place would do fine. I could probably get by without a car, thanks to the excellent public transit system. I prefer to do all my own cooking, and don't go to restaurants often. I'm capable of entertaining myself, all I need is a good book.

So the question is, is it nowadays even possible for a mostly unskilled person to lead a modest life in Honolulu (or actually anywhere on Oahu, but preferable Honolulu)? Right now it's just an idea I've been kicking around, but I'd like to know if it's actually a realistic goal.

Thanks in advance.
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Re: Hypotheticals - moving to Oahu

Of course, you can see hundreds of 'em every day, moving their possessions from the parks onto the sidewalks and then back again. Sleeping in their high-tech tents, living the good life on-the-cheap. A library card, bus pass and schedule for the best soup kitchens is all ya need. Running low on funds? Just make a 'Will work for food' sign and stand at a busy corner - those guys really rake it in (they usually only work their corner a day or two every week). Come on down!
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
      So the question is, is it nowadays even possible for a mostly unskilled person to lead a modest life in Honolulu (or actually anywhere on Oahu, but preferable Honolulu)? Right now it's just an idea I've been kicking around, but I'd like to know if it's actually a realistic goal.
      Sure, anything is possible if you are willing to be flexible in your expectations [maybe renting a room in a house instead of a studio apartment], manage your finances with a goal in mind [not minding if you cannot see a movie or eat out or buy a new pair of shoes that week], and have a clear picture of your priorities [living in Hawaii on a tight budget is more important than being able to buy a newer model car or take a vacation].

Research so you know what you are getting in to, decide if you are willing to make the sacrifices, and make the decision if it is for you or not. Meanwhile, to improve your financial future, add to your plans attending classes or training of some sort to help improve your "unskilled" status.

As for coming back to problematic family .... you'll have to figure that one out. Maybe just DON'T move in with any of them or mix money .. ever??

Good luck!
      Last edited by Amati; May 17, 2012, 12:01 AM.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        Sure, anything is possible if you are willing to be flexible in your expectations [maybe renting a room in a house instead of a studio apartment], manage your finances with a goal in mind [not minding if you cannot see a movie or eat out or buy a new pair of shoes that week], and have a clear picture of your priorities [living in Hawaii on a tight budget is more important than being able to buy a newer model car or take a vacation].
        Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, and it's also pretty much how I'll be living in Los Angeles once my unemployment benefits run out. I figure if I'm going to be poor I'd just as soon be poor in a place where I feel happier. But it would take at least a couple of years to save up enough money and wrap up all the loose ends of my life, so I'm definitely not rushing in to anything.

As for my family, it's best not to assume anything good. Thanks for the feedback.
        "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

You can do it. Definitely.
          If it's what you really want, then work towards that goal.

Life always throws us curves, but we do have control over are own actions.

Come on down.... My wife and I will take you out to breakfast when you get here and see how we can help. Like suggestions of places to work, live, or introductions to folks, etc.

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thanks! Like I said, I'm not rushing to do anything. I've already decided that I'm getting out of California sometime in the next three years or so, but where I go is undecided. There are a lot of variables that could influence my decision, for now I'm just putting out feelers.

Comment

Not too long ago, I realized I had lived in California longer than in Hawaii. I love a lot of things about this part of the world, but is it "home"? Nope. So I started thinking about what it would take to move back to Hawaii...lots of changes both to the places and to myself! Would I want to go back to Maui, or would another island work better? am I just jumping ship since California has become such a mess?

So, I sympathize. Aside from the practical financials you are pondering, I've also tried to "practice" what I think would be different after moving (more time outside/at the beach, less hectic city people, having to go a little farther to see friends or to get to a bookstore--maybe not if you want to live Honolulu, different and fewer options for my kids...but more fresh air and fresh water for them, too, etc). I just don't want to move to Hawaii and spend my days vegging in front of the computer, heh.

Anyway, I hope you get it figured out and go for it if you want it! Let someone else have your crumbling piece of the California Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
                Anyway, I hope you get it figured out and go for it if you want it! Let someone else have your crumbling piece of the California Dream
                LOL! The dream was nice while it lasted, but now it's time to wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  Of course, you can see hundreds of 'em every day, moving their possessions from the parks onto the sidewalks and then back again. Sleeping in their high-tech tents, living the good life on-the-cheap. A library card, bus pass and schedule for the best soup kitchens is all ya need. Running low on funds? Just make a 'Will work for food' sign and stand at a busy corner - those guys really rake it in (they usually only work their corner a day or two every week). Come on down!
                  Do I detect sarcasm? Just curious. The guy asked a legitimate question, one I would like to hear the answer to only to have to read your post which I do admit is sad but true.
                  If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Living on O`ahu is possible. Jobs are few and far-between. Check jobs online to see if there are possibilities in your field.

Housing is expensive, period! So are essentials (food, clothes, etc.).

On the outer islands the job competition is not as bad, the housing is cheaper, but the TYPES of opportunity are fewer. Be ready to compete for lower-skilled jobs.

If you LOVE hawai`i, you must belong here, and in that case things will work out.

Be prepared to settle for LESS in the job market to enjoy the MORE of living here.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      [...]
                      Housing is expensive, period! So are essentials (food, clothes, etc.).
                      [...]
                      Food and clothing are categories I feel can be managed somewhat frugally with proper planning.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Food and clothing are categories I feel can be managed somewhat frugally with proper planning.
                        Good point. Food, especially, is more affordable if you don't insist on eating so many shipped-in "staple" foods (like processed cereals). The "eat local" philosophy has a different meaning for an island culture than it does for the mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Good point. Food, especially, is more affordable if you don't insist on eating so many shipped-in "staple" foods (like processed cereals). The "eat local" philosophy has a different meaning for an island culture than it does for the mainland.
                          Yep, cereal is notoriously expensive but if one is flexible and not locked into just one favorite brand great deals can be found. Ditto for so many staples.

Comment

But generic frosted flakes are not grrrrrrrrreat!
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I already told my son we would likely have to give up milk or develop a taste for fake milk you mix from powder. I was blown away when I saw the gallon price this past March!!!
                              I'd prefer to camp out (so as to not have to deal with roaches) but the camp I stayed at in March no longer allows long term stays.
                              It would seem anyone would pretty much have to work no less than two minimum wage jobs to keep a roof over their head but the way I see it, at least I would be in paradise!
                              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X