Robin Gibb, 1949 - 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Gibb, 1949 - 2012

Robin Gibb one of the 3 brothers that made up the music group The Bee Gees passed away today.

From the BBC: Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb has died aged 62 after a long battle with colon and liver cancer, his family said.

They said they were making the announcement with "great sadness".

British-born Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts and Night Fever.

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini described the singer as "one of the major figures in the history of British music".

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read described Gibb's death as a "tragedy".
    Another icon from British music is gone.... spanned the 1960s... the disco era and into the 80s and 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Gibb
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Robin Gibb, 1949 - 2012

I do recall the Beegees, but not Rogin Gibb, specifically. Of course, I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I happen to have read earlier today a NY Times article about recent studies showing that exercise makes colon cancer recurrence less likely. Here's the reference: Cancer Survivors Who Stay Active Live Longer.

Gibb died of colon cancer and liver cancer, and since the liver is the most favorite place for colon cancer to spread to, I'm guessing that's what happened. Since I had colorectal cancer myself, a few years ago, when I hear reports like this, I prick up my ears. I'm not suggesting that Gibb didn't get enough exercise (how would I know?), I'm just noting that anyone with his problem ought to make darn sure they exercise.

Oh, and if you're 50 or over, make sure to get a colonoscopy, to catch any colon cancer while there's time to kill it.
    Greg

Comment

First, it was Andy. Then Maurice. And now Robin. This means that of the four Gibb brothers, only Barry survives. Ironically, he's the eldest.

R.I.P. Robin.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        Gibb died of colon cancer and liver cancer, and since the liver is the most favorite place for colon cancer to spread to, I'm guessing that's what happened. Since I had colorectal cancer myself, a few years ago, when I hear reports like this, I prick up my ears. I'm not suggesting that Gibb didn't get enough exercise (how would I know?), I'm just noting that anyone with his problem ought to make darn sure they exercise.
        FWIW, Robin Gibb took care of his health (according to news reports) and, at the time of his death, was a vegan who did not drink alcohol. Robin's twin, Maurice, died after complications from a twisted intestine in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
          Oh, and if you're 50 or over, make sure to get a colonoscopy, to catch any colon cancer while there's time to kill it.
          And may I just second this?

Comment

Working...
          X