Cool FREE apps for tablets/smartphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool FREE apps for tablets/smartphones

Just thought I'd start a thread where HT denizens can share the 411 on free apps that they think would be of interest to others. By "free", I mean apps that don't involve paying money at all or apps that offer enough free content to be still be cool and useful, even w/o opting to purchase anything. Whether it's for iOS or Android, it's all good.

My latest discovery is Dream:ON, an iPhone app designed to influence your dreams using aural soundscapes. The app even includes a multi-tone alarm clock that will wake you gently from your slumber.

This dream app may or may not work for you. But hey, it can't hurt to try since it's free. Have fun!
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Cool FREE apps for tablets/smartphones

Not too long ago, there was a thread centering around the topic of free MLB on TV. Well, in-between the days that MeTV and FOX televises baseball games OTA, there's MLB Full Count. This is basically the baseball version of the NFL's Redzone Channel, whereby you are jumping from game to game, witnessing the most exciting moments and highlights that is taking place RIGHT NOW. But unlike the Redzone Channel, Full Count is absolutely free. No need to log-in. And no need to prove that you are a cable TV subscriber. The link I posted above will lead you to the WWW version of Full Count. But the picture quality is noticeably better on the app designed for the iPad.

Enjoy this while you can, sports fans. Cuz I have the feeling that there may one day come a time when this delectable baseball buffet will come with a price tag.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Google Translate is an excellent app to have. You say whatever in English and it will translate it to the language of your choosing, and vice versa. It will verbally translate it, write it out in that language writing and also spell it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Not too long ago, there was a thread centering around the topic of free MLB on TV. Well, in-between the days that MeTV and FOX televises baseball games OTA, there's MLB Full Count. This is basically the baseball version of the NFL's Redzone Channel, whereby you are jumping from game to game, witnessing the most exciting moments and highlights that is taking place RIGHT NOW. But unlike the Redzone Channel, Full Count is absolutely free. No need to log-in. And no need to prove that you are a cable TV subscriber. The link I posted above will lead you to the WWW version of Full Count. But the picture quality is noticeably better on the app designed for the iPad.

Enjoy this while you can, sports fans. Cuz I have the feeling that there may one day come a time when this delectable baseball buffet will come with a price tag.
        I wish you had posted this to the thread in question - I normally wouldn't have read this thread, as I don't have a tablet or smart phone. Luckily the big FREE caught my eye and I clicked before reading further.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Just in time for the upcoming 2012 Olympic summer games are two FREE tablet/smartphone apps that will give you an experience second only to actually being there in London.

NBC Olympics - official source of all Olympic news, results, interviews, highlights, as well social media and other interactive features. Not bad.

NBC Olympics Live Extra - Now this baby is really special. Imagine being able to stream live or have on-demand full replays to nearly all Olympic events. This is pretty much what the Live Extra app delivers. The app is free to download, but the live streams/full replays will only be accessible to cable/satellite customers who have valid login info. So this will not work for those of you who have "cut the cord."

If you are a cable subscriber but don't have a mobile device, then you can access pretty much the same features from NBCOlympics.com.

GO Team USA!!

Comment

Good news for all LA Lakers fans with an Oceanic Time Warner cable subscription,.... you can download both the smartphone and tablet versions of the TWC Sportsnet app. If you have TWC log-in (the same one you use to sign into Watch ESPN), you will be able to live stream the new TWC Sportnet channel for FREE. This network will carry all of the non-nationally televised Lakers games. This is a great app for members of Lakernation, as the team's previous cable TV broadcaster (FOX Sports West) did not offer a live online stream of their programming.

Now.... if only the Dodgers would sign up with TWC so I can watch their games whenever I'm away from home. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Howdy Frank,
              This is a good idea for a thread
              Oxygen is free ,as I recall.

Every breath we take is mostly nitrogen gas and about 20 per cent

Oxygen.

Free as a bird

Comment

Just thought I'd start a thread where HT denizens can share the 411 on free apps that they think would be of interest to others. By "free", I mean apps that don't involve paying money at all or apps that offer enough free content to be still be cool and useful, even w/o opting to purchase anything. Whether it's for iOS or Android, it's all good.

My latest discovery is Dream:ON, an iPhone app designed to influence your dreams using aural soundscapes. The app even includes a multi-tone alarm clock that will wake you gently from your slumber.

This dream app may or may not work for you. But hey, it can't hurt to try since it's free. Have fun!

In regards to "Apps", which coincides with iPhones & Smartphones...

Smart phones??

Does that includes any version of any androids too (such as myTouch (etc.)? aside from an iPhone? , just curious. :-)

Is that good for any type of tablets too??
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                  In regards to "Apps", which coincides with iPhones & Smartphones...

Smart phones??

Does that includes any version of any androids too (such as myTouch (etc.)? aside from an iPhone? , just curious. :-)

Is that good for any type of tablets too??
                  From my first post on this thread:

Whether it's for iOS or Android, it's all good.

Comment

Sometimes these telephones have to be examined at the level of the
                    operating system

In UNIX type phones the root operator has complete control of all

the chip.

Jailbraking ones phone is a step into hacking

Do not try this at home or work.

Comment

Of course there is the other option

The garden

The Jefferson Airplane had a song that declared

My only office is the Park

Comment

From my first post on this thread:
                        Whether it's for iOS or Android, it's all good.
                        Ohh, Thank you .
                        Aches & Pains
                        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

C&C of Honolulu has a free app: Honolulu 311

It's mind boggling that people are so hung up on only downloading free apps. There are many really good apps that cost as little as $0.99 and up to $4.99 and those are really useful quality apps. Imagine that....skipping a cup of joe to buy a useful app that you can use for a long time.

Comment

The type of file that will install is called an .apk .
                            Some of these programs can be installed from a memory card {sim}
                            I recently got a device touted as netbook running gingerbread android.

Big lots has em and they are called the soundlogic xt.

Pro

Will play any kind of video.

will run from 5 volts mobile cigar lighter plug adapter.

Cons.

The screen display is awful with poor color balance.

The built in wi fi radio has very low sensitivity.

These things were initially offered at 299, when these turn up at second hand outlets they will be an awesome bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                              It's mind boggling that people are so hung up on only downloading free apps. There are many really good apps that cost as little as $0.99 and up to $4.99 and those are really useful quality apps. Imagine that....skipping a cup of joe to buy a useful app that you can use for a long time.
                              Problem is, there are hundreds upon hundreds of apps that are priced at 99 cents. So there's really no such thing as a "bargain" 99 cents app. And of course, just because an app carries a price tag does not automatically mean that it is a quality piece of work.

Actually, the trend for newer apps is to offer free downloading of either a lite version or a limited-time trial, then offer a fullly-functioning version as part of an in-app purchase. Savvy app developers have recognized that they will get more people to pay up if they give people a chance to actually try out their product to see if it works, rather than setting a price on the initial download and hoping that people will be interested based on a written description and some screen captures.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 29, 2012, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X