• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Fate

Interesting case.
    Where is this going to go?

Re: Facebook Fate

Care to elaborate more? What are you referring to: stocks, the site itself, user base, what?

Vague thread is vague.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Case? Is there a lawsuit we users should be aware of?

Comment

The next thing to watch is the possible acquistion of Opera.
        Although Opera has a low rank within desktop browsers , it is better ranked within mobile
        browsers.
        The future of Facebook is tied to it's need to monetise mobile ad revenues.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
          The next thing to watch is the possible acquistion of Opera.
          Although Opera has a low rank within desktop browsers , it is better ranked within mobile
          browsers.
          The future of Facebook is tied to it's need to monetise mobile ad revenues.
          Frankly, I have grown to dispise FB. If it crumbles into the sea, I will cheer.
          Perhaps it is only because I cannot adequately navigate, or that I don;t undersatand the system, ut post something, and it's there forever. Typos and all.

I prefer email. Private as you want, with return receipt as well.

DOWN with FACEBOOK!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Case? Is there a lawsuit we users should be aware of?
            No, but there are some lawsuits. If I've got it straight, some people are suing NASDAQ because they couldn't successfully buy the Facebook shares that they wanted, and some people are suing JPMorgan-Stanley, who handled the IPO, for not informing small, retail investors about some business problems that would likely lower Facebook's future profits, making the FB shares worth less. FB knew, FB insiders knew, the investment bank knew, but they all kept quiet, so the big boys could unload their shares at the full initial price of $38 to the suckers, before the price sank when the news became public.

But JPMorgan-Stanley and FB seem to have a really good defense. They say that they didn't yet know about the bad news until the prospectus for the IPO was already printed up and distributed. And there is a law that prohibits them from disclosing any material information about a company doing an IPO that is not in the prospectus. They couldn't legally release the bad news until after the IPO event and retail investors had already bought up all those $38 shares from the insiders, who were very pleased to sell at this price, since they knew the price would be going down very shortly. As it now has.
            Greg

Comment

Uh, ever hear of MySpace?
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                Is it time for me to finally sign up for Friendster? (I'll use my Netscape browser to do so.)

Comment

New stock price low at $28.65 today. And we've yet to see shareholders who can't unload till their 3-month and 6-month lock-up periods are lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    I think majority of people are into Facebook, & the once in Myspace are rarely/hardly there anymore (if any, only a small percentages), if not Facebook, possibly in other sites such as myYearbook, friendsters, etc. Although, I can say 2 things about Myspace that Facebook does not have, is the ability to place a nice wall paper in the back ground that everyone can also enjoy not only the person who picked the wall paper, & the ability of a software in Myspace which you can see if your friend(s) have seen your email/messages that you sent them, etc. Facebook, does not have that capability. In Facebook, if you send them a message, & they don't reply, you will never know if they saw it, or read it at all, unless they reply back.
                    Aches & Pains
                    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Is it time for me to finally sign up for Friendster? (I'll use my Netscape browser to do so.)
                      Leo, why do you not want to use FaceBook? or anyone else for that matter. Just curious as many of us HT folks are already on there.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Leo, why do you not want FaceBook? Just curious as many of us HT folks are on there.
                        Simply because I know my personality and its addictions, and I WILL spend too much time there. I'm not so worried about all the privacy concerns, as it's too late for me to pull back from all the "out there" that I've already done. I just can't allow myself to spend that much time at the computer - it will draw me from other things in life that I must focus on. (I have avoided getting a smartphone for the same reasons, though I know it works against me in a number of ways.)

Comment

I'm active on Facebook. I dislike Facebook.

I often describe it as a crappy restaurant that all my friends go to. Maybe I just don't share the same tastes in decor or cuisine, but I'll go, because the people I like hang out there. I'd rather that critical mass of real people who mean something to me amass elsewhere, but for now, stopping in regularly is a necessity.

I have friends and family with whom I can't interact EXCEPT via Facebook. It annoys me to no end.

It's a walled garden. It's a closed system that's taking everyone's comfort in being "hidden" and slowly turning it into a giant jail where everyone's naked. It's AOL 2.0. And we've been here before. The best part of the disastrous IPO is that it finally became clear that it'd actually be possible for the massive behemoth to tumble and crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Simply because I know my personality and its addictions, and I WILL spend too much time there. I'm not so worried about all the privacy concerns, as it's too late for me to pull back from all the "out there" that I've already done. I just can't allow myself to spend that much time at the computer - it will draw me from other things in life that I must focus on. (I have avoided getting a smartphone for the same reasons, though I know it works against me in a number of ways.)
                            the privacy concerns can be taken care by your individual settings. on my page - if you aren't my "friend", you can't see anything. I have a very small friend list and I go on once a day, check my latest entries and then leave. It often takes the place of HT (psst Ron - here's a clue) and doesn't take that much time. I've gotten in contact with family members and old friends that I haven't talked to in years and its been great. You might give it a try = you can always quit if you dont like it.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Facebook fate is an oaken staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X