Facebook Fate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facebook Fate

I get why many people don't understand Instagram's appeal. If you are primarily a FB user, IG doesn't add much to the experience except those trippy filters that make your food look gross but your sunsets look great.

If Twitter's constantly-updating stream of personal updates never grabbed you, you certainly wouldn't be grabbed by Instagram either, at least as it was in its earlier incarnation. But I got sucked in because my Instagram "friends" were mostly my Twitter friends, and scrolling through a day's worth of my Instagram stream was a chance to see a slideshow of what my friends had seen and done that day. As @emilychang said just over two years ago, it was basically visual Twitter.

THAT was its appeal, I think, for many of us.

I get that most of you don't really care what your friends and acquaintances had for dinner or what their office desks looked like at work today or what the skyline view was from their spot in afternoon traffic. I think that was made clear in our initial discussion of Twitter six years ago. But I'm still a fan, all these years later. What Instagram did (and other photo-sharing apps did not) was make it really, really easy to share photos, to leave comments on photos, and to "like" photos in the quick-and-sometimes-crude way that Twitter allowed us to share whatever was on our minds. For many, IG became the social media platform of choice, a place where friendships were made and conversations held away from Twitter, FB, and other platforms. It was always more supplementary to me--I don't think I ever posted a photo on IG that wasn't meant primarily to be shared with Twitter--but "visual Twitter" seemed to be enough for a lot of users. The connectivity with others made rabid fans of many of its users.

My fondness for the app would never go that far, but I get it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The data stored on those servers is like a pillow full of feathers.

Once that data is strewn about no amount of work will unscramble that egg.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I recently upgraded from a Motorola Droid X to a Motorola Droid Bionic on Verizon Wireless. Based on your phone, the first thing I would recommend is to get off T-mobile. They spend the least amount of money, time and effort to upgrade their network which is why the internet (i.e. facebook) is so slow.

Don’t worry that your phone is “almost” like an iPhone. Android is better, which is why Apple is always copying innovations invented by Google! It’s also the reason why iPhone users are switching because of Apple’s refusal to allow superior apps like “Google Maps” and “Gmail” to be the default apps on an iPhone.

Both phones have quite advanced and intuitive Facebook apps. Anyone have a Windows phone or Blackberry with the Facebook app?
        WOW!! , Thanks for replying back & thank you for that info :-) .

Actually, hubby & I has been with T-Mobile for 15 years altogether, me for 10. I transferred over from AT&T to T-Mobile 10 years ago, & hubby & I just transferred to a 2 year contract from a 6 month prepaid plan.

I will try to remember this in 2 years time, & get that Android phone & possibly move to Verizon. hmmm..

I know you said I should move away from T-Mobile, but, seeing as we are in T-Mobile already. would T-Mobile have something equivalent to that phone? I wonder?

p.s. how much do you like your new phone? & are all companies the same? unlimited talk,text,data? How much are you paying a month?

we were paying $200 before we moved to a prepaid, then found a cheaper contracted plan for a 4G phone & 2G worth of Data. IF the 2G doesn't seem to work for us, then we could always move up to 3 or a 4G worth of Data (at any time). p.s. That photo is a really nice phone :-)
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
          instagram uses your own photo that you take & post, & uses it for their own gain &/or some sort of advertisements.
          Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          There was an update in Instagram's terms of service, set to take effect in mid-January, that said IG would be allowed to use your photos for such purposes, 'though the actual intent was probably not as evil as it sounded.
          Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, those changes in its final form, are about to take effect!

Leslie Meredith, Senior Writer

Why you should make Instagram private before Saturday

Instagram's updated terms of service and privacy policy go into effect this Saturday, Jan. 19. At least for now, the new policies will mean little change for users. But when changes come, as they likely will, Instagrammers won't have much time to change their privacy settings. And that's a good reason to consider making your account private in the calm before another storm.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I just reactivated my old Facebook account by logging in. Last used in '09.
            Mainly to try and keep in better touch...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/theres...124449264.html

Oh Zeus!

Comment

From the Yahoo article:

Zeus targets Windows machines. It does not work on Mac OS X or Linux. The only real way to protect yourself from it is to make sure you only click links that come from trusted sources.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fa...id=msnhp&pos=5

I'll be watching you.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=211653721

Eyes without a face.

Comment

The new server farms are really quite fascinating to see.

Each shows signs of individualism.

The architecture of such installations will show brush strokes

of the original architects.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Simply because I know my personality and its addictions, and I WILL spend too much time there. I'm not so worried about all the privacy concerns, as it's too late for me to pull back from all the "out there" that I've already done. I just can't allow myself to spend that much time at the computer - it will draw me from other things in life that I must focus on. (I have avoided getting a smartphone for the same reasons, though I know it works against me in a number of ways.)
                        Set ground rules. One of my rules is no Facebook games.

It's not great -- plus, the NSA knows who 99% of my friends are, but I get to keep in touch with my friends all over the world in a very simple way.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-reas...123200359.html

Is the writer brutally honest about Facebook?

Comment

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/st...150800631.html

Don't hate cuz she's beautiful.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/study-facebook...035933957.html

I feel miserable after reading this.

Comment

https://screen.yahoo.com/facebook-re...215603488.html

But, they don't have my fingerprints.

Comment

Working...
                                X