Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we pau with HT?

Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

Come now, you know that argument falls flat, I'm all about e-partying until left like Custer fighting til the last sword swing in a forum that has become as vital as shouting in space. I'm happy with me, if others aren't, too bad, that's their problem. I grew up in the heart of So. Kal kustom kool when it really mattered and knew the right people, it is part of my DNA. Should some not appreciate my overwhelming coolness... or fear to follow, that's OK. I don't expect much from anybody these days, most are bottomless pits of stale air, so I'll simply put out whatever for the few that want to participate, as I do with the other few forums I visit, just like with my circle of worthy friend's and their understandings about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    I think it boils down to a cell phone/facebook society walling itself from all but the comfy familiar and exponential isolation against others. Too many are no longer reaching out and engaging anybody but those within their little circle.
    I don't expect much from anybody these days, most are bottomless pits of stale air, so I'll simply put out whatever for the few that want to participate, as I do with the other few forums I visit, just like with my circle of worthy friend's and their understandings about me.
    I'm trying to follow your thoughts, which is it?
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I don't believe "pleasing yourself" is really the idea behind a social-media outlet.
    It think that is best done behind closed doors in private.

Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    I'm trying to follow your thoughts, which is it?
    You can lead a horse to the nearest bar, but you can't make him get drunk and dance.
    I as one can only do for those within the confines that others allow, you know, I'm only the boss of me.

Ron, if you're so concerned with Ht and its viability - why not try contributing something of value or real interest? something that has some depth or heft? Your choice of subjects often interests only you or is so vague that no one is interested in pursuing it any further than reading your initial post. and it isn't only you who does this with vague posts. and I'm not the only person who is mentioning this so please, nobody needs to attack me. Just let it go, let it rest for a while. HT will survive quite well - its been around for many years and really doesn't seem in any danger of going away. Individual contributors go away, but not HT itself.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Ė Sydney J. Harris

You can lead a horse to the nearest bar, but you can't make him get drunk and dance.
    I as one can only do for those within the confines that others allow, you know, I'm only the boss of me.
    Oh I get it now. Thanks, that was helpful and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    85% of society surrounds themselves with like-minded people, it's human nature.
    (to paraphrase Groucho Marx) People who think like I do, bore me.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Well, here's a constructive suggestion, though not necessarily a practical one. Update the forum software to make it easier to post pictures and links to visual representations that will display as images, especially youtube links. After all, that's one of the things we use web forums for, as a way to find, read about, hear, and look at things on the web that friends recommend to us.

The forum at early-retirement.org uses forum software which makes it very easy to refer people to youtube videos with an image that appears in a forum posting. When composing a post, you just put in a link to the youtube video, and when published, the post will have the image. Pretty neat.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Ron, why not try contributing something of value or real interest? something that has some depth or heft? Your choice of subjects often interests only you or is so vague that no one is interested in pursuing it any further than reading your initial post.
    Are you kidding? I've probably posted more often and more of substance than anyone for the last 2 years. And... yes, I post about things that are of interest and relevance to me, I should post topics that DON'T interest me? And I would know what could possibly interest others, like those who don't even contribute much, or at all? Seriously, where do you come up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    Oh I get it now. Thanks, that was helpful and interesting.
    My job here is done then.

My job here is done then.
    Yes indeedie.

I wonder, does this thread illustrate why this site has the activity it recently has?

If you mean the very recent uptick as I alluded to previously, then I'd say yes, but shaking the tree only provides so many goods. It's up to everybody to shake things up with themselves so we maintain even the small surge.

Thumbs up Re: Are we pau with HT?

I think this thread has spawned a fervor for funny titled threads. Okay... that's cool!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

There are also posters who feel, "Hey you don't post in my thread, then I'm won't post in your thread."

Talking Re: Are we pau with HT?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    There are also posters who feel, "Hey you don't post in my thread, then I'm won't post in your thread."
    Well, maybe YOU pau with HT (and I not miss you) but plenty us no pau with HT!

Maybe we see you on da kine Facebook some time, K' den?

Whatevars!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Really? And you base this supposition on ... ?

Prime reason I don't post in a thread is because the topic doesn't interest me, like many sports ones or current film or TV topics. I don't believe I would ever look at a thread, see that (e.g.) "Walkoff Balk" started it, and think, "well, screw THAT thread then." More likely, I might think, "oh, he posted something about a sports topic where I know nothing or have nothing to add, so I won't post there." But I still am likely to open the thread at least once just to be certain - and perhaps your topic/post may surprise me, or it might be something I'd like to learn more about.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Prime reason I don't post in a thread is because the topic doesn't interest me, like many sports ones or current film or TV topics. I don't believe I would ever look at a thread, see that (e.g.) "Walkoff Balk" started it, and think, "well, screw THAT thread then."
    Why is there an "ignore" option then?

I use the ignore option. There are certain posters who I don't want to bother with their posts, and "ignore" works perfect for that.

Why is there an "ignore" option then?
    Is there an "ignore" feature for an entire thread? I've used it for individual posters but not a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Is there an "ignore" feature for an entire thread? I've used it for individual posters but not a thread.
    Yes, sort of. Just check to see who started the thread and just ignore the whole thing.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

LOL, I wonder how many lists I make it on. More than 3, I hope.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Yes, sort of. Just check to see who started the thread and just ignore the whole thing.
    I think you may have just confirmed WB's point for me. I can handle that.
    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    LOL, I wonder how many lists I make it on. More than 3, I hope.
    Sorry, not mine. If I ignore you, I can't learn from you.

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Now why didn't I think of THAT?!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

four months and here I am. I'll probably be off for another few months after this post.

PZ me thinks you need to create an App for iPhones and Androids to keep this site up and active.

I for one rarely use my desktop as well as my laptop computers since migrating to an iPhone 4s. Debating to go to an iPad but am resisting as it's just another gizmo to carry around carefully. Honestly if I can't find a need for a laptop, I just don't see the need for an iPad either, but a smartphone has become part of my daily routine to the point where HT is a rare occurance anymore, heck I even see PZ on FB on a daily basis and his lovely wife.

PZ make a HT App!!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    four months and here I am. I'll probably be off for another few months after this post.

PZ me thinks you need to create an App for iPhones and Androids to keep this site up and active.
    If I'm not mistaken, mobile app development costs quite a bit of $$$$ to pay for development, design, hosting, maintenance, etc.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Craig...this reply is from my iPod Touch. Did I just luck out?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast