Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we pau with HT?

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Messageboards have become sort of like an online speakeasy for the loyal patrons...
    I like that analogy. If I had a regular bar/hangout, I'd be happy to just see a handful of the regulars there when I visit, no need for the place to be packed all the time.
    Originally posted by Amati View Post
    ... sometimes the grumpiness (OK, rudeness) shown by some posters chases people away.
    Folks might also notice that several of us who used to fuss at each other appear to have made peace, and are more aware of our own contributions to past troubles.

Comment

Oh I hope not. I just noticed I changed to "student" status now so it is just now this mainlander is ready to try to come up with legit questions and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        > Walkoff Balk's evolving style of humor
        But, I was called out by a poster as posting cliche and tired type of humor. So, I did how survey works by multiplying that one criticism as representing many viewers who feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          I'm still around.

Please don't anyone take this as the [re]start of an old topic, but sometimes the grumpiness (OK, rudeness) shown by some posters chases people away.
          I'm not a fan of the replies to a posting. The last time I rolled my eyes at someone was as small kid time. I was whack upside me head and told not to do that again by a grownup. Grownup men don't roll their eyes when another man is speaking. It's a girl thang to roll their eyes or click their tongue. As Stephen A.Smith would say to Skip Bayless,"Don't be disrespectful."

Comment

This is the only place I ever share my thoughts.
            Although I don't post everyday I try to entertain or throw some ideas into the arena.

I am not interested in arguing , or being a motormouth (sometimes I am).

Thoughts are like rainfall, they pool up and then overflow with useful water.

Quality, not quantity is what counts.
            Only a handful of intrepid individuals landed at South Point , so long ago.

Comment

It should probably be pointed out that some of us have been here since 2004, which means we've been through kind of a lot. I'm honestly talked-out on several topics, and grouchy about others. In the early years, the daily post-count was huge not only because FB hadn't yet come to dominance and Twitter hadn't yet been born, but because we were a new community of disparate thinkers, and there was a lot of unmined conversational ground.

And I mean no disrespect when I say that many of us strove toward a certain standard of clear communication--and of quality posting--that was modeled by the moderators and administrator and upheld by a larger number of us than currently posts with regularity. I still love HT, and I still drop in several times every day, but I find (a) that I have less to share, (b) that I am less interested in most of the new posts but can't think of anything better to contribute, and (c) that I enjoy far fewer of the posts I do read.

There have been a plethora, over the past few years but especially in the past several months, of new posts with titles that mean very little to me and with NO information in the body of the post to explain what the heck the title is about. In some cases a cryptic sentence precedes an external link with no explanation. I don't click those because I expect an original post to give me enough information to decide if I am interested in a link (which used to be the expected behavior here); I dislike being expected to click a link and then decide if I'm interested in commenting. But I can't complain because I'm not posting anything better.

As helen and Mike say, these things come and go in waves.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                There have been a plethora, over the past few years but especially in the past several months, of new posts with titles that mean very little to me and with NO information in the body of the post to explain what the heck the title is about.
                Right on cue:
                http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=20165

Comment

Not pau, not yet!
                  Folks just need to share their thoughts on Hawai'i... the good, the bad, and the ugly.
                  And then I believe that there will be a resurgence of vitality here.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    I swear, that drives me BONKERS.

Could anyone create a more vague thread??

It's like a thread that starts : "you know that one time when"

and you open it, and it just says something nonsensical, like, potato...

wtf, mang.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      It's like a thread that starts : "you know that one time when"
                      and you open it, and it just says something nonsensical, like, potato...
                      Oh, I am SO going to steal that idea, TATT ... it resonates with the surrealist in me.

Comment

Hey, I remember potato!

Wassamatta, where was you?
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Another reason comes to my mind as perhaps why there might be less postings of new threads. I used to read quite a few online newspapers, and occasionally pull an idea for a new thread, or gain some background information so that I could post on an ongoing thread. But now, many online newspapers require a subscription.

Does having less access to free internet news cut down on thread ideas?
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Nah, there's still tons of free net news, making me wonder why anybody would pay.
                            But then that one-time impossibility of actually buying bottled water went right down the drain, din'it?
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

aloha, i used to make a few contributions on a few topics that were of interest or i would post a new topic. it seemed that my contributions were not tolerated but flamed. I tend to have fiscally conseravative views but am quite liberal on social issues.there are a few here that seem to go out of the way to make anyone with a different take on an issue feel unwelcome to the conversation. I admit i maybe breached BB etiquitte a time or two but i think i have learned from those mistakes. the number one thing that life has taught me is to be tolerant of others views and ideas.....not agree always but respect them. if someone has a kooky idea, it doesnt make them a kook...just on a path like the rest of us.
                              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                                aloha, i used to make a few contributions on a few topics that were of interest or i would post a new topic. it seemed that my contributions were not tolerated but flamed. I tend to have fiscally conseravative views but am quite liberal on social issues.there are a few here that seem to go out of the way to make anyone with a different take on an issue feel unwelcome to the conversation. I admit i maybe breached BB etiquitte a time or two but i think i have learned from those mistakes. the number one thing that life has taught me is to be tolerant of others views and ideas.....not agree always but respect them. if someone has a kooky idea, it doesnt make them a kook...just on a path like the rest of us.
                                Quoted for truth.

This goes hand-in-hand with what was talked about just a few months ago.

As we can see, some lessons are never learned.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X