Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 163

Thread: Are we pau with HT?

  1. #26

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Hey, I remember potato!

    Wassamatta, where was you?

  2. #27

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Another reason comes to my mind as perhaps why there might be less postings of new threads. I used to read quite a few online newspapers, and occasionally pull an idea for a new thread, or gain some background information so that I could post on an ongoing thread. But now, many online newspapers require a subscription.

    Does having less access to free internet news cut down on thread ideas?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Nah, there's still tons of free net news, making me wonder why anybody would pay.
    But then that one-time impossibility of actually buying bottled water went right down the drain, din'it?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Captain Cook, Hawaii
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    aloha, i used to make a few contributions on a few topics that were of interest or i would post a new topic. it seemed that my contributions were not tolerated but flamed. I tend to have fiscally conseravative views but am quite liberal on social issues.there are a few here that seem to go out of the way to make anyone with a different take on an issue feel unwelcome to the conversation. I admit i maybe breached BB etiquitte a time or two but i think i have learned from those mistakes. the number one thing that life has taught me is to be tolerant of others views and ideas.....not agree always but respect them. if someone has a kooky idea, it doesnt make them a kook...just on a path like the rest of us.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
    aloha, i used to make a few contributions on a few topics that were of interest or i would post a new topic. it seemed that my contributions were not tolerated but flamed. I tend to have fiscally conseravative views but am quite liberal on social issues.there are a few here that seem to go out of the way to make anyone with a different take on an issue feel unwelcome to the conversation. I admit i maybe breached BB etiquitte a time or two but i think i have learned from those mistakes. the number one thing that life has taught me is to be tolerant of others views and ideas.....not agree always but respect them. if someone has a kooky idea, it doesnt make them a kook...just on a path like the rest of us.
    Quoted for truth.

    This goes hand-in-hand with what was talked about just a few months ago.

    As we can see, some lessons are never learned.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  6. #31

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Since there were no posts by escondido in your thread link, fm, what exactly was the point?

    esco, please continue posting as you may, I for one might not always agree but still appreciate your pov.

  7. #32

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Since there were no posts by escondido in your thread link, fm, what exactly was the point?
    Never said that Escodido posted in the thread that I linked to. Merely that he touched upon what was previously discussed.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    I have read the comments here carefully and will try to improve my posting
    style.
    Sorry if I annoyed some. That was not my intent.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,253

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    But now, many online newspapers require a subscription.

    Does having less access to free internet news cut down on thread ideas?
    One thing I don't like is a link back to an article that requires payment to view. So yes, perhaps there is less posting here because a link back to the source article may only frustrate people when they hit the PAYWALL.

    I make it my policy never to link back to paywall articles.
    I'm still here. Are you?

  10. #35

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    While I still see some activity here, I've noticed that another message board I frequented (one that I discovered through the postings of a number of folks who rarely pop in here now - we'll call it "the lanai") has pretty much died off; weeks will pass before there is a new posting there. I know BookFace has stolen the attention of quite a few of those regulars.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    I think it boils down to a cell phone/facebook society walling itself from all but the comfy familiar and exponential isolation against others. Too many are no longer reaching out and engaging anybody but those within their little circle.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    missing the 808 in the 202
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    I think it boils down to a cell phone/facebook society walling itself from all but the comfy familiar and exponential isolation against others. Too many are no longer reaching out and engaging anybody but those within their little circle.
    Oh, you mean like every "clique" since the beginning of time?

    Isn't reaching out, and engaging with friends, e-friends still reaching out and engaging? There is a reason people tend to stay within their "circles", its because they are more comfortable. 85% of society surrounds themselves with like-minded people, it's human nature.

    It's a forum. Things come and go. like all good meals, this too shall pass.

    Perhaps it is exactly the opposite of your hypothesis. . .perhaps folks are too tied up with REAL world stuff, and finding time to engage on HT has just become a lower priority.
    flickr

    An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    From: God
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

    knock it off, all of you

    seriously, what the hell


    --
    God

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    I think the reason for this current state of affairs (of HT) is due to all of the above. And probably more.

    A lot has happened to me personally in the last year, which has curtailed my desire to post. Things that happen in the “real world” somehow have a way of affecting the “virtual” world, which is not very real.

    When I first joined HT, this was as vibrant a place to cast your net as anywhere on the WWW. So many voices, so many personalities, so many views. You could choose which funnel cloud you wanted to be whooshed into. It was a virtual landscape of whirlwinds. But now, there are fewer voices, fewer personalities, fewer views. Defection to Facebook and Twitter certainly contributed to less participation. But forums are but part of the parade. Like Tat says, “Things come and go. Like all good meals, this too shall pass.” And it will.

    I am also a member of another forum (a literature forum) that was as vibrant as HT (maybe even more so, if you can believe that), but it quieted down quite a bit recently (coincidentally, about the same time as HT did), for much the same reasons offered here. In the last two weeks it shut down completely because the site was hacked and infected with malware. I feel at a loss. Funny how we grow attached to ephemeral things.

    If you love this forum (and I do), just keep plugging along. It’s all you can do. Nothing lasts forever.

  14. #39

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Yeah, almost any forum considered has lowered it's participation ratio in recent times, not just HT.

    Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Isn't reaching out, and engaging with friends, e-friends still reaching out and engaging?

    There is a reason people tend to stay within their "circles", its because they are more comfortable. 85% of society surrounds themselves with like-minded people, it's human nature.

    It's a forum. Things come and go. like all good meals, this too shall pass.

    Perhaps it is exactly the opposite of your hypothesis. . .perhaps folks are too tied up with REAL world stuff, and finding time to engage on HT has just become a lower priority.
    To a minimalist degree.

    A less sociable form of human nature?

    I think this thread has sparked a sudden albeit slight upturn, without it we may have watched it pass with lilies across it's chest.

    Some maybe, maybe an equal number have less ties, what's their excuse?

    Still, just amongst the base HT core we should be able to do this forum better.

  15. #40

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Still, just amongst the base HT core we should be able to do this forum better.
    As one of "the base core," may I suggest we all take steps to "do this forum better," such as:

    Avoid vague postings - no clever/incomplete/not-understandable-at-a-glance thread titles followed by an equally incomprehensible posting, or little more than a link and an encouragement to open it. When you post, think of the rest of us as a busy, distracted audience, and give us a compelling reason to read/link/comment on your thread. Tell us a bit more what you want us to read about; draw us in with detail.

    Consider your topics carefully for a new thread - is it something you'd be comfortable having your boss, your partner, your minister, your tutu knowing you were trying to trigger discussion about? Or are you just bored and want to talk about poop? Post something that will stimulate creative discussion, rather than just make you giggle when you have the mental munchies.

    Enough pissing on each other - yeah, I don't like your politics/religious demands/choice of TV viewing/musical tastes/dinner options, and you don't like mine. So let's not engage each other on those topics. You want to talk political or social issues? Excellent - but that means more than one of us telling the other "you and your (insulting term here that's only clever to you) kind are fulla crap."

    Bottom line - you want HT to be a better forum? Take it upon yourself to make it one, and THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

    Yep - I'm guilty of most of the crimes stated above. I thought I was being clever with some of my comments, when no one else thought so. OK, I haven't posted about poop, but I've sure derailed many a conversation. And I'm clean outta piss for this forum. If someone riles me now, I try to walk away from the thread and not respond in kind.

    Think about your audience. Think about a total stranger reading your post (and admit it, except in a handful of cases, we are total strangers to each other). Would what you posted stimulate a respectable level of discussion, if you were the person on the other side of the screen, reading it for the first time?

  16. #41

    Talking Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Well, even cum-cakes 'stimulated' conversation, low-brow as it was, so basically threads just need to be started if we're gonna toss it.
    Engaging your excellant guidelines are merely the... frosting.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    as another member of the "base core"- what Leo says works for me too.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    No. No. No. Not pau now. Not pau eva.

  19. #44

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Avoid vague postings - no clever/incomplete/not-understandable-at-a-glance thread titles followed by an equally incomprehensible posting, or little more than a link and an encouragement to open it. When you post, think of the rest of us as a busy, distracted audience, and give us a compelling reason to read/link/comment on your thread. Tell us a bit more what you want us to read about; draw us in with detail.
    I agree 100% with that one, to me a too vague of a posting is the equivalent of no posting at all. At least give us a line or two or three from the article, and a short comment or question. I do not even bother opening a link if I have no clue what it might contain.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

  20. #45

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    When I do it, I do it purposely, to invite curiosity and reward with a payoff. No like chance..., no like gain.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    [...]
    Avoid vague postings - no clever/incomplete/not-understandable-at-a-glance thread titles followed by an equally incomprehensible posting, or little more than a link and an encouragement to open it. When you post, think of the rest of us as a busy, distracted audience, and give us a compelling reason to read/link/comment on your thread. Tell us a bit more what you want us to read about; draw us in with detail.[...]
    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    as another member of the "base core"- what Leo says works for me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    I agree 100% with that one, to me a too vague of a posting is the equivalent of no posting at all. At least give us a line or two or three from the article, and a short comment or question. I do not even bother opening a link if I have no clue what it might contain.
    yes...Yes...YES! I agree 100% with each of you. Hmmm...that makes 300%!!! I never click on a link that doesn't have at least a little explanation of what it's about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    When I do it, I do it purposely, to invite curiosity and reward with a payoff. No like chance..., no like gain.
    Ron...that's just plain rude of you. You've been asked to stop in the past. HT's FAQ asks that you not do that and has been quoted for you. You're a guest in Admin's "house"...not the other way around. It appears to me you're just being defiant and obstinate. "Invite curiosity and reward with a payoff"???

  22. #47

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Rude of me? Well then, that just rude lil ol' me. When can you show was the last time I even did it?

  23. #48

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    When I do it, I do it purposely, to invite curiosity and reward with a payoff. No like chance..., no like gain.
    One problem, Ron, is that the thread-starter's name shows on the thread. I have a sneaky suspicion that many people just won't open any thread that they see you have started, no matter what it's called, because they anticipate frustration based on your posting style. (Present company excluded.) You may say you don't care about that, but then, what audience are you trying to reach with your "reward" for "curiosity"?

  24. #49

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    If I'm only posting to a handful of the daring to be dangerous, then that's fine. I know there are some like you describe, and I'm not posting for them. In fact, they don't deserve the reward that rests just beyond the simple pressure of a keypad if that's their attitude. Remember Garden Party? "You can't please everybody, so you've got to please yourself".

  25. #50

    Default Re: Are we pau with HT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    ... you've got to please yourself".
    I don't believe "pleasing yourself" is really the idea behind a social-media outlet.

    It also appears that you have a desire to manipulate other HT participants ("what I have to say is so cool that you'll only be cool yourself if you are willing to take the risk and follow me"), something that will fail to serve you well in this environment.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •