Got ham? Amateur radio in Hawaii!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got ham? Amateur radio in Hawaii!

Picked up a Radio Shack scanner a couple of weekends ago. This one can pickup the 10 meter, 6 meter, 2 meter and 70 centimeter amateur bands.

One of these days need to go for the Technician amateur license.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post

One of these days need to go for the Technician amateur license.
      Hopefully, you will be interested in studying and passing the exam. You may find it's not difficult.

Also, you may already know there is much information available across the internet on ham radio.

www.qrz.com is a popular website.

There are free practice tests for the technician class license here;

http://www.qrz.com/ht/?op=start&t=t2010

Your interests may motivate you to find a radio club & VE (volunteer examiner) team to administer the test when you are ready.

Best wishes to you as you pursue your interests.

Comment

I took the practice test a few weeks ago, didn't pass the parts dealing with antenna safety and FCC regulations.

Do have the study guide and will attempt the test later in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          I took the practice test a few weeks ago, didn't pass the parts dealing with antenna safety and FCC regulations.

Do have the study guide and will attempt the test later in the fall.
          Good deal Helen, I'm sure you'll get it

Comment

A talented group of students recently found a way to use maser amplifiers at
            room temperature.

Maser amps are closely akin to lasers and were one of the few ways to amplify

microwave signals with a decent signal to noise ratio.

Thus enabling very weak signals from satellites and various space probes
            to be read.

Parametric amplifiers were used earlier,and are another fascinating topic
            worthy of lots of reading and research.
            Congrats to those who master morse code. It has the ability to be heard
            and deciphered through large amounts of QRM.

The early models used liquid ammonia gas and were pesky to operate.

Later on , new semiconductors like Gallium Arsenide made the use of microwave bands seem routine.
            Last edited by lensperson; August 16, 2012, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
              Congrats to those who master morse code. It has the ability to be heard
              and deciphered through large amounts of QRM.
              Yes, morse (CW-emission mode A1A) is the only mode I use in ham radio. Most of the time, a straight key with my favorite hf xcvr here;

Comment

You enthusiasts are... too cool!

Had I my 40 year old brain, I might join in! Alas, those days are 25 years gone.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

You can always listen in, you don't need an Amateur license for that. It is needed when you want to transmit.

For about $120 you can purchase a Pro-404 scanner from Radio Shack which is what I got a couple of weeks ago.

Beside being able to receive the Amateur bands it can pick up Marine (as in boats), police/fire, aircraft and the NOAA weather bands.

A couple of nights ago I came across somebody talking on 444.7250 MHz which was winding down. Last night I tried just after 8pm HST to listen to that frequency and it was getting voice traffic from the US West Coast, then as the time went on had people from Alaska, Nevada, Florida and even someone from Israel joining in.

At first my reaction was that little handheld scanner powered by 4 AA batteries with 8 inch (guessing on the length) antenna was able to pickup signals from far away places in the middle of urban Honolulu, but after doing some web searching I come to find out that I stumbled across a system of repeaters that has a location on Oahu at 444.7250 MHz.

What I was listening to was something called the Insomniac Trivia Net.

Comment

Working...
                  X