1973 Arbitron Radio Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Arbitron Radio Ratings

Going through some old boxes this weekend, I found a copy of the "Radio Report" from 1974. In the news from markets around around the United States, there was a mention that the final Fall 1973 Arbitron market ratings had been released and this story on the Honolulu market:

"HONOLULU -- The final ARB book was released last week, showing KGMB still on top in this city. KGMB was down overall almost three points pulling a 17.0. In second place is KKUA with a 12.4. KPOI dropped from a 10.2 to 5.7 in total numbers. KUMU-FM is third in the market with a 6.9 and KORL fourth pulling 6.6. KGMQ in their first book scored a total 5.2. KIKI had one of the more significant increases with a 5.9, up from 2.9 in last book. KGMB leads in males with an 18.4 followed by KIKI pulling a 9.4. KHVH has an 8.4--almost double in the male category for them. In females it's KGMB with a 17.3 followed by KUMU-FM up to a 10.0. In teens KKUA increased to 42.1 while KPOI dropped to a 23.4. KGMB is third in teens with a 10.3, while KGMQ mustered a 4.7 teen count in their initial shot."

Re: 1973 Arbitron Radio Ratings

KGMB and later KSSK have dominated the ratings for a very long time.

I remember KKUA was the dominant top 40 music station in Hawaii probably from 1972 to about 1975. The poor ratings for KPOI 1380 AM (at that time) were I guess the last grasp for the station. By April or May of 1974 they were gone from the air, having been replaced by some kind of "beautiful music" format... of course they could not compete with KUMU AM FM at the time which was the dominant "beautiful music" station in Honolulu.

Of course times have changed. KPOI is now rock, KKUA is long gone with the calls just an echo of KHPR, KQMQ was top 40 / CHR for the longest of time until they changed to Jawaiian last year and KUMU is now soft, retro R & B.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
    X