Hip, hip, hooray!

Did anyone miss anything?

Default Re: OTW to drop KITV?

Who won?
    What was the under/over number of days?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Who won?
    Actually, the better question is: Who lost? It's the consumers. If Hearst TV got Time Warner to cry uncle and made the cable operator pay up the requested increase, it will all eventually be passed on to cable customers.

Hearst/KITV tried really, REALLY hard to get cable customers to sympathize with them. Part of that effort was the propaganda info disseminated on a webpages like I Want My KITV Back.

Why does Oceanic Time Warner need an agreement to include your station in my cable lineup?

In the word [sic] of broadcasting, cable companies like Oceanic TimeWarner pay television stations fees to carry their signals. Every few years, these agreements come up for renegotiation. TimeWarner refuses to pay fees for our programming, comparable to what other cable providers pay to stations like ours. The fees we seek are just pennies a day, but they're necessary to ensure we continue to provide popular programming and valuable news and weather to viewers in Hawaii.
    Just "pennies" a day, huh? Well, they add up. And the thing is, OTA viewers don't have to pay for this fee.

If this trend of local broadcast stations yanking their signals from cable operators continues, then sign me up for a petition asking Congress to reform the 1992 Cable Act.

American Television Alliance's explanation of the retransmission consent issue.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    ESPN News isn't on Channel 23 anymore.
    In its latest "agreements with programmers" notice, Oceanic has announced that analog channel 23 will soon be the home of Time Warner SportsNet. This new network recently outbid Fox Sports West for the TV rights to Los Angeles Lakers games.

Oh, and added to the list of stations where "agreements are due to expire soon" are:

CW
    KHON/KHAW
    KAII Digital
    KHON/KHAW/KAII HD
    Sigh! Here we go again. I don't care what kind of PR spin KHON's ownership utilizes. If they blackout their signal to Oceanic customers during football season, they better be prepared for some fallout, like maybe a flaming bag of dog poop being hurled at the front entrance of Hawaiki Tower.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Sigh! Here we go again. I don't care what kind of PR spin KHON's ownership utilizes. If they blackout their signal to Oceanic customers during football season, they better be prepared for some fallout, like maybe a flaming bag of dog poop being hurled at the front entrance of Hawaiki Tower.
    I would blame Joe Moore as the Athletic Director of KHON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12