Shed some light maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed some light maybe?

I was coming out of one of the roadside beach parking areas on Waianae side and straight across the road was this little frame house with a laundry line in front of it. I jokingly told my boys someone left the laundry out too long to dry and snapped this picture. Of course, when I was able to turn and get closer, I wondered if maybe it was seaweed or something else.
    Anyone have any ideas?? Mahalo!!
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Shed some light maybe?

Looks like Spanish moss / Pele's hair / Tillandsia usneoides.

Comment

Maybe drying it for lei making?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Not drying it for lei-making. That's how it grows. It's a type of air fern, I think. You string it up on fences, coat hangers, or clotheslines and leave it alone and it grows. Super nice in haku leis.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          That's how it grows.
          Not generally on clotheslines in direct fulltime sunlight, that I've ever seen.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Not generally on clotheslines in direct fulltime sunlight, that I've ever seen.
            It can handle full sun or shade; it has no roots, and collects nutrients from rainwater & humid air. Info here.

Comment

There is (or used to be) an old cottage style house on the mauka side of Dillingham Blvd a few blocks ewa of Waiakamilo that had dozens of these ferns hanging all around it. The home I used to house sit had 4 very large ferns hanging off the lanai. They got full afternoon sun for several hours each day. It's amazing how big and full they get and how fast they grow. If the ends come in contact with anything, they'll attach and wrap around it. I was told to water the tops of the plants 3 times a week and spritz them with water the other days. The owner was a member of the Garden Club!!!

Comment

It's odd to realise that such a fluffy plant is a Bromeliad and related to it's
                much chunkier relative, the Pineapple.

Time for a Hawaiian pizza!

Comment

Will that plant come alive such as in The Little Shop of Horrors?

Comment

There was such a plant seen in several episodes of "The Addams Famiy"
                    as per the early b&w tv renditions.

Comment

A lot of local people call it hinahina although it is a spanish moss as Leo stated.

Comment

That's it, D'alani! Hinahina! Thx for the memory jogger!

Comment

Thanks to all!!! Google just would not help, lol!
                          I also had so much fun rediscovering the touch me not grass that I had never seen before until I lived there as a preteen and had not seen since.
                          If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Not certain if it is Spanish moss or a close relative. We put it on our lower-branched trees (like our magnolia) to enhance the tropical ambiance.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Mimosa. I found it interesting that the Wikipedia article (linked) mentions Hawaii in particular. I had no idea it wasn't a weedy presence everywhere.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X