Self Injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Injections

Anybody else have to do these? Is it okay to discuss this? My doctor totally threw me a curve today when I went in to see him. I have to start taking my medication by injection now, which was something I had never even thought about before. I'm not afraid of needles, so that's not the issue, but was just a little bit freaked out in general.

I got a quick two-minute tutorial at the pharmacy and that was it- no oranges or anything to practice on. It went okay- I called TG and she talked to me while I did it since my husband is out of town. Does this get easier as you go? My hands were shaking so badly, I could barely finish the injection. It didn't really hurt, but I was surprised at how nervous I was.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Self Injections

Just the fact that you went thru with it tells me you'll do just fine, SG. Each time it should get a little easier 'til it becomes 2nd nature. I'd probably be twice as nervous as you! Maybe more!! I don't mind needles either but I can't stand to see one go in therefore can't imagine giving myself or anyone else a shot! You've already cleared the first hurdle. Way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      Does this get easier as you go? My hands were shaking so badly, I could barely finish the injection. It didn't really hurt, but I was surprised at how nervous I was.
      I have a number of diabetic friends who have told me of similar experiences early on, and they would answer your question with an emphatic "yes." It became a simple routine act in a short period of time for them.

Comment

The key, I found, was to get a hearty pinch of skin to form the "bump/fold" you are injecting into, I use to squeeze hard enough to where the pinch was more alarming than the injection.

Normally, the needles are pretty sharp, so you don't feel too much, but, inserting the needle when you exhale seems to take the edge off.

It gets a LOT easier as you go, and becomes a non issue
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Thanks, guys! I forgot to say that back when you were all being helpful.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Thank God for ya'll! I wouldn't have been able to speak so well of it. I hate needles and hope to God I never have to self inject!
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
            X