X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CD-2 race: Mufi's final stand?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Do we need him? Can we afford him?
    Is he a nice to have, or a need to have?

Or maybe... neither?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

He's running for the district not served by his successfully endorsed rail project? Hmm...
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        He's running for the district not served by his successfully endorsed rail project? Hmm...
        Psst!! Ed. CD-2 encompasses rural Oahu, in addition to the neighborhood islands. As a matter of fact, the first 3 rail stations starting on the Ewa end of the rail route is to be built within the CD-2 district. It also goes without saying that passengers boarding the rail from those stations stand to benefit the most when it comes to saving time and fuel that would otherwise be spent in gridlock during rush hour traffic going from and coming back to Kapolei.

So no. It's not as if the entire electorate that Mufi is targeting this year are folks who are not beneficiaries of a rail system.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Unless they've changed the boundaries, all stations are clearly in the 1st congressional district. Those first 3 are surrounded by undeveloped fields - at least they'll have room for parking lots. I live in the Ewa plain - I know this area and I know I will not be better-served by the rail system [than the current bus system], but I will adapt to it if it comes.

He is 'targeting' all Hawaii voters who will not be paying for or 'benefiting' from the rail system, however. Maybe they want him outta here, one way or t'other.
          Last edited by salmoned; July 17, 2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: readability

Comment

I can see why the confusion; it's hard to be 100% certain from, for example, these two maps:
            1st District
            Rail stations
            Is the Kualakai Parkway (old North South Road) in the 1st or 2nd District?

Comment

Unless they've changed the boundaries, all stations are clearly in the 1st congressional district.
              Even if you're right on the point re: the exact location of the stations being in CD-1, the fact remains that the rail route runs very close to the boundary, and you will have people living in CD-2 (i.e. Waipahu, Kapolei) who could easily drive to and/or catch the bus to the nearby station in order to make use of the rail.

I live in the Ewa plain - I know this area and I know I will not be better-served by the rail system [than the current bus system], but I will adapt to it if it comes.
              Speaking for yourself, that's a very eloquent statement. It's when you try to speak on behalf of the entire population base of CD-2, that's when you slipped on a banana peel and hurtled into a deep chasm of cloudy logic.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I never made any reference to the entire population of CD-2. I only referred to all those Hawaii voters not located on Oahu, i.e., those who are not paying for or 'benefiting' from the rail system. I never even mentioned all those voters located in east, windward, north and west Oahu who will not benefit from rail, though they are paying for it. In running for the CD-2 office, Mufi is targeting all those outer island voters. You really should make an effort to comprehend what you read.

I appreciate how you mention that rail users will almost entirely be obliged to use their cars or the bus system to access rail. It highlights the 'third leg' aspect of rail on Oahu (who needs one?).

Leo, when you work the elections in the area, you know where the lines are drawn.
                Last edited by salmoned; July 18, 2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Leo, when you work the elections in the area, you know where the lines are drawn.
                  Are you working the elections, salmoned?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

When I see the Mufi posters all over my WW area, I see the face of a man about to cry.
                    He has a sad puppy-dog face begging for a treat - or your vote (not sure).

Graffiti artists could draw in tears, and they would not be out of place. It looks like he is begging. There is NO strength there. Were I a candidate, I Would NEVER have approved those shots. Who would vote for a whiny loser?

Not I.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This year? Purgatory, no! I'll wait until I'm incompetent before applying for that job again - I'd rather be an unfunded candidate. It's one big, 'MOVE OVER, PLEASE!', up and down the chain of authority. I've done my duty - time to blend into the background.
                      Last edited by salmoned; July 27, 2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=164234146

Hanneman is heading for the endzone and only a showboat celebration before the goal line can stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspr...l?id=164234146

Hanneman is heading for the endzone and only a showboat celebration before the goal line can stop him.
                          Thanks for putting forth a more objective take on this topic. I think the anti-Mufi crowd has really hijacked this thread. After listening to Gabbard’s spiel over the course of the campaign, I have a more favorable impression of her then at the start. But in the end, you have to wonder if she is just spouting the talking points of the organization(s) who have endorsed her. I’ve heard more carefully prepared soundbites then discourse in this particular race.

I’m not happy that Mufi chose steel-on-steel, but in the end, I have always been a supporter of rail transit as a needed alternative, as more than four years of my comments on the topic here at HT have shown. Despite his significant cave-in on rail, though, Mufi was a good mayor — at least much better than his predecessor Jeremy Harris, who should have been criminally prosecuted for his illegal diversion of sewer and roadways funds into absurd “community visioning projects.” I think Hannemann’s purposeful personality will serve us well in Washington, D.C. Gabbard is too much like Mazie Hirono — talks a good game, but nothing on her résumé to back it up.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            I'll say it right here and now. The Mufster is in trouble. If he cannot turn back the tide of momentum that is boosting Gabbard's candidacy, then this election is lost to him. If that happens, then this will be Mufi's Waterloo.
                            Did I call it, or what?

Comment

Mufi =

Burnt Toast by BloGGingHoLLy, on Flickr
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Bye bye, Mufi. Now go out and get a REAL job, so you can see how your former constituents are suffering.

DON'T come back!

"Steel on steel or nothing."
                                "Do we need it, can we afford it?"

Good riddance!
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X